Mooring Pins Pulled Out Twice In Leigh Last Night

mrscloudinspector

Featured Posts

shouting abuse and threatening my wife through a window at 3am whilst she is in bed is NOT "just high spirits"

Sorry I probably didn't put that very well at all.

In many cases it probably is just high spirits, usually fuelled by alcohol, but quite often I suspect it comes from a misplaced frustration that we are the "haves" with nice boats, and they are the "have nots", and that we have invaded their territory and maybe even flaunted our perceived wealth, I suspect it is not helped by the way that many boaters treat the "have nots" who hang about on the canal. The attitude from some posters here supports that.

Double mooring pins and chains may deter the high spirits but will only further anger those who are already angry, and may also turn the "high spirits" into alcohol fuels anger.

We have had quite a few "interactions" with youths (and adults) that have been quite friendly, but I have felt that a word or two out of place or misunderstood could easily have turned the situation unpleasant. I suspect that just catching them undoing the ropes may be quite sufficient for them to become very unpleasant.

The only comfort that can be offered is that this kind of thing is really quite rare!

..........Dave

Edited by dmr

Anyone drunk on a nb roof is very vulnerable if attacked by an angry boater with a big stick...

To be honest, that was my initial reaction as I emerged onto the well deck carrying a baseball bat, which fortunately I kept by my side out of view below the roof until I could assess the situation. But then two things happened: first, I saw how big and ugly these blokes were, and almost at the same time I realised I wasn't as hard as them and threats of physical violence would just escalate the situation and would have been very stupid. So I quietly dropped the bat inside the boat.

I've no idea why, but one of them thought he knew me and told me it was a good job he did otherwise I'd be dead. All in all, not a nice experience, but this happened about 12 years ago so it's not like it's an everyday occurance.

3 foot marquee stakes and a sledgehammer rather than toothpicks and a toffee hammer stops mooring stakes being pulled out.

I use 3ft stakes too. Those little mooring pins aren't big enough for my boat. But they do take some getting out sometimes, even hitting them sideways from 4 directions with a sledgehammer. Sometimes they can leave quite a big hole behind once you do get them out and I keep thinking someone's going to give me a bollocking for bank erosion. Of course long stakes don't stop the evils from cutting your ropes. In dodgy areas I use a long plastic coated steel cable padlocked to my centre ring.

Edited by blackrose

I've since found out that another boat moored about 500 metres away had mooring pins removed on the same evening and the previous Saturday evening. So it seems this is Saturday night entertainment for this bunch of retards. Needless to say I will be leaving the area on Friday morning.

To be honest, that was my initial reaction as I emerged onto the well deck carrying a baseball bat, which fortunately I kept by my side out of view below the roof until I could assess the situation. But then two things happened: first, I saw how big and ugly these blokes were, and almost at the same time I realised I wasn't as hard as them and threats of physical violence would just escalate the situation and would have been very stupid. So I quietly dropped the bat inside the boat.

I've no idea why, but one of them thought he knew me and told me it was a good job he did otherwise I'd be dead. All in all, not a nice experience, but this happened about 12 years ago so it's not like it's an everyday occurance.

I use 3ft stakes too. Those little mooring pins aren't big enough for my boat. But they do take some getting out sometimes, even hitting them sideways from 4 directions with a sledgehammer. Sometimes they can leave quite a big hole behind once you do get them out and I keep thinking someone's going to give me a bollocking for bank erosion. Of course long stakes don't stop the evils from cutting your ropes. In dodgy areas I use a long plastic coated steel cable padlocked to my centre ring.

Tie a rope to the top of the pin, put a short plank next to the pin at a sj

slight angle, put the rope over the top of the plank and pull, so it looks like the jib of a crane. This pulls the pjn out vertically, gives you an easier pull to exert more force, and csn give you a mechanical advantage.