Solar Panel Brackets, Where To Buy

John B

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Another Newbie here !

I have purchased the same brackets from the above seller...... and await delivery , hopefully today. I spoke to the owner via the contact details on eBay, who was very helpful & polite, considering the probable stupidity of my questions. I will report again when they have been fitted.

Huge thanks to Forum Members, as I too had great difficulty finding this type of bracket for my solar panel.......but of course the info, & the same recommendation, was found here, on an earlier thread !

Pearltoo

Small price to pay if someone nickes em though;)

ive fitted these to a couple of boats this year on the owners request and think they are probably more nickable quickly than fixed brackets with security nuts/bolts.

the triangle does have a hole fitted to put a padlock through,but this can only be used when the panel is flat to the roof.

ive fitted these to a couple of boats this year on the owners request and think they are probably more nickable quickly than fixed brackets with security nuts/bolts.

the triangle does have a hole fitted to put a padlock through,but this can only be used when the panel is flat to the roof.

I use a cable type bike lock which secures the panels in any orientation.

TC

Has anyone ever had any panels stolen ? Im not convinced this isnt one of those overblown worries we boater sometimes have.

Yep mate of mine in Skipton.Swears he as seen his on another boat but has not proved it yet.

There was a spate of panel thefts at Sawley Cut earlier last year - - I heard that 3 boats were relieved of their panels over a period of 6 weeks or so.

We've a good few £hundreds of panels atop our boat, and I'd hate to lose those to some light-fingered 'erbert!

He'd have to be a bit more than light fingered with the installation you described sticking them on.....

Don't they normally have serial numbers cast into the panel ?

Mine did...and I have them recorded..

Can't you put some kind of continuity relay in the circuit to trip an alarm ?

I don't mean voltage operated because obviously it would go at night !

How about...you have a relay...very low power...one side connected to the battery +Ve

Then you run a wire to the cells....a single thin wire...and connect it to the negative side of the cells.

that means the relay would hold shut as it has continuity.

You then connect the relay to a siren.

If anyone disconnects the cell...the relay will open..and set off a siren..?

No ?

You could probably do it with a 'chip' of some kind..but I'm not that clever.

Isn't there a 'gate' chip...where is it gets two low terminals..it 'trips'..?

A gate..(if I recall ?)

Edited by Bobbybass