New Crt App

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

I can only speak for the Braunston one but I am disappointed that they didn't allow the local volunteer group to check over the pages for errors and omissions before going into print. This seems to be a centrally produced series that could have achieved so much more for both the canal and Braunston.

I can only speak for the Braunston one but I am disappointed that they didn't allow the local volunteer group to check over the pages for errors and omissions before going into print. This seems to be a centrally produced series that could have achieved so much more for both the canal and Braunston.

I sometimes feel the same about most of the announcements or actions they take rolleyes.gif

Just a few comments - comes out iPhone size on an iPad - much better on the iPhone.

The bit about Stoke Bruerne talks about the boat weighing machine - well it went back to Wales 10 days ago - that may be a bit picky but I have been in this kind of IT industry most of my working life it gives me the feeling of being a wee bit rushed and the detail not being checked. I suspect it was done by the Marketing team using previous information. I wonder how often it will be updated or if the boat weighing machine will always be in Stoke Bruerne despite now being in Swansea.

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/historic-weighing-machine-begins-journey-home

From the App:

'In and around Stoke Bruerne you will find the Blisworth Tunnel, historic locks and bridges, a weighing machine, winding hole, and traditional canal pubs - all features of a living canal village'.

It is easy to criticise when someone else has done the work, so well done to CRT for getting it out; the boat weighing machine probably was there when the App was devised but the removal has been on the cards for quite some time I understand.

Edited by Leo No2

Hopefully, the app accesses a database, not a sealed document (e.g. book), so the entries should be pretty quick to change.

How do we find out the process - for instance, who in CRT is responsible for this?

Richard

Hopefully, the app accesses a database, not a sealed document (e.g. book), so the entries should be pretty quick to change.

How do we find out the process - for instance, who in CRT is responsible for this?

Richard

I would start at damian.kemp@canalrivertrust.org.uk just a warning he is away on holiday at the moment

Edited by cotswoldsman

There is a website about places to visit: http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/places-to-visit

At present the app shows more information about some sites.

I was invited to comment on one of the maps, a few weeks ago, and corrections were made. Having downloaded the app, I see that the accompanying text also needs attention. I will send corrections to my local contact and suggest that all the entries are provided with a link to report errors and updates.

Richard

Hi Richard

As a more direct contact Nicky Wakeford - National Marketing Manager - Seems to be the person responsible for this project

nicky.wakeford@canalrivertrust.org.uk

I have been given an explanation but am still at a loss as to the final comment Quote. "A big thankyou to all the volunteers who helped to produce these - you know who you are". Mango was obviously one of these and may be able to help me.

In the case of Braunston I lead a group of over 60 volunteers who have an official adoption agreement with CRT, I struggle to understand why we were not asked for our comments. What I do know is that this is a National Production and does not seem to have had much input from local CRT employees. The idea is great, but the mistakes and the missing important bits of info. make it look amateur.

Whilst some of the info may not be in 100% the app is quite nice I think. I like the way it says "It looks like you are near: ......" and provides a link to the nearest location in the app.

The list of locations and all the basic text for the locations is embedded in the app, try running it with your phone in airplane mode and you can see that. The main map (Google I guess) and the PDF files with the location maps (the same ones that are available on the web) are linked to the internet though. So updating the basic text requires an app update. They have already done one update to it since I downloaded it after CRT promoted it on Twitter.

An app for reporting issues would be great.

I have downloaded the app as a matter of intrigue so will see how we get on with it. Although there doesn't seem to be too much on it about where we cruise!

The coverage seems to be very concentrated in certain areas, perhaps reflecting the interests of the authors. The K&A seems to be particularly well represented, whilst Birmingham is not.

Thank you. To be honest, i want to find the process, not correct the information. I know nothing about history

Richard

Battle of Hastings 1066

Similar to the construction dates of the first Alvechurch hire boats then, John?