Agressive Hire Boat Thugs

single again

Featured Posts

People like that are sadly out there to be encountered I'm afraid but they are a tiny minority which is why we tend to remember them for far too long. Its difficult to advise others what they should do, I suppose that just behoves those of us who feel able to do so to report them all the more.

Firearms are a serious nono as far as I am concerned, even to scare etc. Absolutely nono.

The best thing that anyone can do is record the action, report it.

Anyone who has a firearm and a licence, who then uses it in this way should loose their licence and gun. It is so so wrong.

Firearms are a serious nono as far as I am concerned, even to scare etc. Absolutely nono.The best thing that anyone can do is record the action, report it.Anyone who has a firearm and a licence, who then uses it in this way should loose their licence and gun. It is so so wrong.

We used to moor next to a chap who was part of the national clay pigeon team. It was only when we moved did we discover that he stored his ammunition on board the boat.

Is that legal?

Edited by Doorman

I heard a similar story to this related by a friend of an ex-police officer who had attempted to offer helpful advice to a family of boaters on the Leeds Liverpool. It's not unusual for first time visitors to this canal to have trouble with the "idiosycrasies" of some of the locks. Apparently the reaction, though not including actual threats of violence, was so vitriolic the former copper - someone you would think would be used to a bit of conflict - was really shook up. Ever since hearing this I've always been a bit wary of interfering - canal cruising isn't always the relaxing stress free activity it should be, and if someone has had a really bad day you could be the one to tip them over the edge.

We used to moor next to a chap who was part of the national clay pigeon team. It was only when we moved did we discover that he stored his ammunition on board the boat.

Is that legal?

A gun safe is required in a house. In transit a shotgun needs to be out of sight. If left in a vehicle, the fore-end should be removed and taken by the owner. A trigger lock can be fitted to add security.

Cartridges do not need to be kept in a safe, but this is good practice.

Remember many more people are stabbed in the kitchen with a household knife than are shot with guns.

Remember many more people are stabbed in the kitchen with a household knife than are shot with guns.

Yes, I dare say, but we did feel uneasy about having been moored along side an amunition store. It transpires that the chap was a little conservative about anyone knowing where he kept his amunition and never revealed it to us at the time.

Some time back I frightened the wits out of myself when I seemingly snapped and ordered a young chap who had first jumped on the front of my boat at the top of the Rochdale 9 and then when I went to do the lock, I saw him jump onto the stern area. I screamed at him so loud and so venomously, that once he jumped off and went back to sit with his group of about 10 others who were milling around.....I took a walk through their crowd...(young girls and guys)...looked him in the eye, shook his hand and said..."I'm sorry I screamed at you...I've had a rough day..."

I hope next time they see me they'll think...stay off his boat...he's an ok chap, but he might have had a rough day :)

I'm normally as placid as a mouse...and my reaction that day ...still leave me a little bewildered.

Tomorrow I have to get from Rodley to Leeds....leaving early.

Not so, it only has to be secure. Sometimes I have had a safe & other times I have secured the gun in the loft space, attached to a beam. All passed by the police.

A gun safe is required in a house. In transit a shotgun needs to be out of sight. If left in a vehicle, the fore-end should be removed and taken by the owner. A trigger lock can be fitted to add security.

Cartridges do not need to be kept in a safe, but this is good practice.