information about bow thrusters please

lee b

Featured Posts

Just make absolutely sure your BT tube is in its own floodable compartment. Mine could have a major leak and only let in say 100L of water in its own otherwise boat sealed compartment.

Why would it have a major leak? I'd guess at least 95% of all BTs fitted aren't in their own watertight compartment. I've never heard of any major BT leaks on this forum. I heard about a badly welded in BT tunnel that leaked, but that could be the case on any weld anywhere on a hull.

Now you're talking proper bowthrusters

Worth every penny of £7000

Richard

Only if you really need to keep your finger on it for lengthy periods. Otherwise a properly fitted electric BT is fine. The problem with a lot of hydraulic thrusters is that you need to rev the engine to build up pressure in the system so you can actually use it. Not exactly what you want when you're close quarters handling, which is usually when you want it. Personally I'd much rather have completely independent syatems.

Edited by blackrose

the bow thruster tube is in its own water tight locker,i'm 50/50 on a bow thruster,also on the paint job,i was planning on painting the boat myself''with the help of my father who was a painter and decorator'',i am considering a professional paint job but at the same time am worried about spending that much money on paint to have it scratched down the first over hanging tree's and bramble bush...

Spend the money on paint

the builder cant fit a paint slot in for a few months because they are busy so i may put another coat of undercoat on and carry on with the fit out,see how far i can stretch my pennies and also probably try paining either the stern end''doors and back'' or the front and see how it looks...i can also call in one of my brothers who is also a painter and decorator....after all,its hand painted so i have been told if your good with gloss and prep properly it should come out ok...dont get me wrong,a new paint job would save loads of time and effort but i am still worried about paying all that money knowing it will end up with battle scars... if i was planning on living in a marina i would 100% go for a pro paint job...because i will be a permanent cruiser it will take some welly...like i say,i'll try a small area and if it looks ok i will carry on...if not i'll have to ring my wallets neck !!

Let me expand on that. If you have a choice between a bowthruster and paint, spend the money on paint

The paint will maintain the value of the boat over a 'still in primer' or diy job should you come to sell. The bowthruster won't

Richard

After two weeks on the upper Gt Ouse I have decided that a bow thruster is essential. Without one 75% of the cruisers up here would not only not get into a lock, they wouldnt be able to leave it or even get the boat anywhere near the side even with two ropes ashore. Some even have stern thrusters and still hit the sides.frusty.gif

If you can find a professional paint job for the same sort of money you were talking about spending on a BT please let me know as I will be very interested.

Thanks

Mike

If you can find a professional paint job for the same sort of money you were talking about spending on a BT please let me know as I will be very interested.

Thanks

Mike

i have been given a price of £3600 for a pro paint job...to have a bow thruster fitted will cost £3000 but if i do the bow thruster myself i can buy a complete vetus kit for £900 at a trade price...don't forget,the paint would in affect be on a new shell so no shot blasting old paint back or sanding and re prepping...i would think if you have tired paint on your boat you would be looking at much more than 3600... i have got two painter and decorators who are both good gloss painters i may still go with a ''home'' paint job...i know techniques are different,applying the paint with a roller then using a brush to take air bubbles out and give a better cover then tip it with a dry brush but its still a gloss finish in affect,i have seen paint runs on some top boats so if i get a few extra runs but save 2k upwards would it be so bad,after all,i keep getting told that narrowboating is a contact sport so i may be able to keep a smile on my face when i take paint off my boat while passing bridges,trees and other boats,also i have seen one boat that a chap spent nearly 5k on the paint,its less than 18 months old and theirs blisters round windows and a few other places,5k to me isn't chicken feed,i would be after blood if someone done a dodgy paint job and charged good money...

i have been given a price of £3600 for a pro paint job...to have a bow thruster fitted will cost £3000 but if i do the bow thruster myself i can buy a complete vetus kit for £900 at a trade price...don't forget,the paint would in affect be on a new shell so no shot blasting old paint back or sanding and re prepping...i would think if you have tired paint on your boat you would be looking at much more than 3600... i have got two painter and decorators who are both good gloss painters i may still go with a ''home'' paint job...i know techniques are different,applying the paint with a roller then using a brush to take air bubbles out and give a better cover then tip it with a dry brush but its still a gloss finish in affect,i have seen paint runs on some top boats so if i get a few extra runs but save 2k upwards would it be so bad,after all,i keep getting told that narrowboating is a contact sport so i may be able to keep a smile on my face when i take paint off my boat while passing bridges,trees and other boats,also i have seen one boat that a chap spent nearly 5k on the paint,its less than 18 months old and theirs blisters round windows and a few other places,5k to me isn't chicken feed,i would be after blood if someone done a dodgy paint job and charged good money...

if you can get both at a price that suits,then go for it.to hell with the runs in the paint.