Animal Rescue

JamesWoolcock

Featured Posts

Just a quick thanks to all the boats and crew who stopped to help rescue a very young calf from the North Oxford Canal at Bridge 80 today.

But maybe not to CRT who said they needed the name of a town or village to find the location of the canal and bridge, and then cut me off!

James

Just a quick thanks to all the boats and crew who stopped to help rescue a very young calf from the North Oxford Canal at Bridge 80 today.

But maybe not to CRT who said they needed the name of a town or village to find the location of the canal and bridge, and then cut me off!

James

I would suggest you make a complaint to CaRT for being cut off, what number did you ring?

Not the first cow to fall in here. We came across one at the same spot last year. I think the farmer needs to spent a bit and put a secure fence up. We found like you, BW were less than interested. We 'phoned the RSPCA who were helpful.

Ever since our incident we have renamed this bridge "cow bridge".

Edited by Ray T

I would suggest you make a complaint to CaRT for being cut off, what number did you ring?

It wasn't being cut off that amazed me, but that by ringing 03030404040, CRT's main number, I found someone who thought the canal name and bridge number was inadequate to enable them to find the location! I'm not a local, but just a boater on a journey. Isn't that what we are all meant to be?

A cow fell in the Shropshire Union canal the other week and the local and other fire service crews came to the rescue. I'm sure that they are better equipped than C&RT are in these situations.

It wasn't being cut off that amazed me, but that by ringing 03030404040, CRT's main number, I found someone who thought the canal name and bridge number was inadequate to enable them to find the location! I'm not a local, but just a boater on a journey. Isn't that what we are all meant to be?

I guess they were just making sure that they had all the necessary information, given that there are two sets of bridges on the Grand Union numbered 17 to 109 as they start the numbering from Braunston in both directions. I don't know if there are any other canals like that.

Incidentally the cows near 80 do tend to find their own way out fairly quickly, by the time I had got to the farm, told the farmer and got back to the cut, the one I saw was out and the herd off at the far side of the field.

The fully grown cow I came across a bit further south waited until I had found something to tie to, and then got out with little effort.

The water buffalo part way up Napton are another story, that took a while and I think it had to be locked down into the next pound (or it may be that that was what happened on a previous occasion)

I guess they were just making sure that they had all the necessary information, given that there are two sets of bridges on the Grand Union numbered 17 to 109 as they start the numbering from Braunston in both directions. I don't know if there are any other canals like that.

Incidentally the cows near 80 do tend to find their own way out fairly quickly, by the time I had got to the farm, told the farmer and got back to the cut, the one I saw was out and the herd off at the far side of the field.

The fully grown cow I came across a bit further south waited until I had found something to tie to, and then got out with little effort.

The water buffalo part way up Napton are another story, that took a while and I think it had to be locked down into the next pound (or it may be that that was what happened on a previous occasion)

I'd have payed good money to see that!

I think that given that I was on the North Oxford Canal and said so would have been a clue that I wasn't talking about the GU.

But then last year, when reporting on a situation at Hopwas, I was asked by a lady on the 'phone at Peel's Wharf at Fazeley where Hopwas was and where the Coventry Canal was too. I said Hopwas was just a few of miles or so from where she was and that the Coventry Canal was outside her office. That was too challenging so she put me through to "someone who knows about boats" and got a very helpful lady who promised that she would make sure that the the matter was dealt with. She was the Enforcement Officer for South Wales and Severn Waterways in Gloucester. Oh well.

Edited by JamesWoolcock

I think I read an article on NBW a few weeks ago by somebody criticising the response they got from CaRT when reporting an incident over the weekend or out of hours. They complained of the same problem where the name of the canal was not recognised and nor was the bridge number.

I could be wrong but I think I read a response saying that CaRT paid the ambulance service to monitor calls to that number hence why the person on the other end of the phone seemed to know nothing about canals.

I'm on my tablet so I can't look it up or link it to find out how much of that ive got exactly right, but I'm sure it was something like that.

I think I read an article on NBW a few weeks ago by somebody criticising the response they got from CaRT when reporting an incident over the weekend or out of hours. They complained of the same problem where the name of the canal was not recognised and nor was the bridge number.

I could be wrong but I think I read a response saying that CaRT paid the ambulance service to monitor calls to that number hence why the person on the other end of the phone seemed to know nothing about canals.

I'm on my tablet so I can't look it up or link it to find out how much of that ive got exactly right, but I'm sure it was something like that.

I thought that was the "out of hours" service?