Invaders from the Fenny Wastes

Featured Posts

OK, a sort of cruise diary in advance here.

The Moomins are planning to leave Ramsey on Saturday for the Melaleuca summer tour, which has reached an unprecedented four weeks this year.

The plan is to get to Braunston in time to bag a mooring (maybe Friday morning) and then be around for the historic boat rally. We'll be on the move again on Sunday, heading up the North Oxford to do the Leicester ring with detours up some or all of the Ashby, Erewash, Market Harborough and Welford arms, At Norton junction we'll go left, back down Buckby and home via Northampton.

For me, the bottom end of the T&M, all of the Soar and the Leicester Line are new territory as are all the detours.

If you see us on our travels give us a shout, and if you want to meet up, send me a PM.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

I expect you've already seen these details on Waterscape, but just in case you haven't:

Braunston Historic Boat Rally Sat 29th June and Sun 30th June 2013

Please note the following mooring and cruising restrictions to accommodate the Braunston Historic Boat Rally:

Moorings

All the 48 hour moorings in Braunston will be suspended. This includes all the moorings from Braunston Turn to the marina ladder bridge.

The suspended moorings will be in force as follows:

Braunston Turn to Bridge 91 (A45 Bridge) - From Wednesday 26th June until Monday 1st July for the use of historic and non-historic boats booked into the Rally (staff and stall holders).

Between Bridge 91 (A45 Bridge) and the Stop House - From Saturday 22nd June until Sunday 7th July – historic and non-historic boats booked into the Rally (staff and stall holders).

Stop House to the ladder Bridge (Braunston Marina) – historic boats only (unless spaces become available).

Cruising

Please note cruising will be restricted once all the Historic Boats are in position and especially during the parades - which will take place from 10 am each day. Priority will be given to boats in the parade.

Boats travelling North on the Grand Union will be able to cruise as normal past the moored boats.

Boats travelling south on the Grand Union may have to be directed through the Marina.

Elsan and Water Points (between Br 91 and Braunston Stop House).

These will be closed to moored boats once Historic boats are in position.

Please note alternative facilities are available at Braunston Turn.

Apologies for any inconvenience

(Enquiries: George Dickinson 01908 681 276)

I expect you've already seen these details on Waterscape, but just in case you haven't:

Please note the following mooring and cruising restrictions to accommodate the Braunston Historic Boat Rally:

Moorings

All the 48 hour moorings in Braunston will be suspended. This includes all the moorings from Braunston Turn to the marina ladder bridge.

Braunston Turn to Bridge 91 (A45 Bridge) - From Wednesday 26th June until Monday 1st July for the use of historic and non-historic boats booked into the Rally (staff and stall holders).

Between Bridge 91 (A45 Bridge) and the Stop House - From Saturday 22nd June until Sunday 7th July – historic and non-historic boats booked into the Rally (staff and stall holders).

Stop House to the ladder Bridge (Braunston Marina) – historic boats only (unless spaces become available).

Cruising

Please note cruising will be restricted once all the Historic Boats are in position and especially during the parades - which will take place from 10 am each day. Priority will be given to boats in the parade.

Boats travelling North on the Grand Union will be able to cruise as normal past the moored boats.

Boats travelling south on the Grand Union may have to be directed through the Marina.

Elsan and Water Points (between Br 91 and Braunston Stop House).

These will be closed to moored boats once Historic boats are in position.

Please note alternative facilities are available at Braunston Turn.

Apologies for any inconvenience

(Enquiries: George Dickinson 01908 681 276)

Rusty tubs blocking the canal again

wink.png

Moorings

Thanks for that. The plan is to stop between the tunnel and the top lock if we can, if not we'll go beyond the turn up the North Oxford until we find somewhere.

MP.

Thanks for that. The plan is to stop between the tunnel and the top lock if we can, if not we'll go beyond the turn up the North Oxford until we find somewhere.

MP.

It's a nice spot - we moored on that bit in 2010 when we did the Leicester ring from Napton. Nice open views of the open country side too.

EMP46cA.jpg

LAKVdrx.jpg

It's a nice spot - we moored on that bit in 2010 when we did the Leicester ring from Napton. Nice open views of the open country side too.

Looks good if it's deep enough for Melaleuca to get in. We'd get more power from the panels there than in Braunston cutting too.

MP.

Crossed the Middle Level in a gale but totally avoided being rained on. Saw one moving boat all day, but Whittlesey was totally infested with semi-trads with pram-hoods for some reason, including one which, while technically not on the lock landing, did render it totally useless.

Moored for the night just past the bend, ready for Kings Duke and our noon lock booking tomorrow.

MP.

Dyke, not duke. Damn you, autocorrect.

MP.

Enjoy!! We went from the Old West to SHardlow on the T+M a bit over a year ago. I'm impressed you are going to do all that, then come back down in 4 weeks! Took me 4 months to get from Stretham to Shardlow (though it was throughout the winter!)..

A note about the Erewash - you need a special "key" for the locks. Available at Sawley Marina Chandlery, but do phone them well in advance (like a week - and tell them to reserve it for you), as when we went up, Sawley had run out of keys to sell, and the only other place to sell them is in Newark!! Luckily a freindly C&RT chap gave us one, or it would have knackered the weekend away plans!

Alternatively, you can borrow ours. I travel back from Chatteris to Nottingham every week, so can drop it off easily enough.

My blog covers some that route: http://nbrivendell.blogspot.co.uk

We were very inexperienced when we did the Nene.. Lucky to get through it unscathed, looking back now!!

Enjoy!! We went from the Old West to SHardlow on the T+M a bit over a year ago. I'm impressed you are going to do all that, then come back down in 4 weeks! Took me 4 months to get from Stretham to Shardlow (though it was throughout the winter!)..

A note about the Erewash - you need a special "key" for the locks. Available at Sawley Marina Chandlery, but do phone them well in advance (like a week - and tell them to reserve it for you), as when we went up, Sawley had run out of keys to sell, and the only other place to sell them is in Newark!! Luckily a freindly C&RT chap gave us one, or it would have knackered the weekend away plans!

Alternatively, you can borrow ours. I travel back from Chatteris to Nottingham every week, so can drop it off easily enough.

My blog covers some that route: http://nbrivendell.blogspot.co.uk

We were very inexperienced when we did the Nene.. Lucky to get through it unscathed, looking back now!!

I don't think you need a special key for the Erewash, it's just a standard handcuff key.

We have only ever used a handcuff key or a water mate key, and we have done the Erewash too, what is this mystical 'special' key?????

I don't think you need a special key for the Erewash, it's just a standard handcuff key.

Correct, unless something has changed (unlikely surely) since we last did it.

Perhaps not special to Erewash - no idea (whichever guide I was using called it "Erewash Water Conservation Key", so I just assumed it might be).

Its T-shaped, about 4 inches long, turns a small square peg down a long hole.. I didnt have one, and thus needed to get one. Guess it makes sense this type of thing might be used in a variety of places.

Anyway, offer stands if you need to borrow one :)

Anyway, offer stands if you need to borrow one smile.png

Thank you very much for the offer, but no need: we have a couple of those.

MP.

You may see us on the Soar or the T&M Eastern End. If you do give us a wave. smile.png

Will do.

MP.

Perhaps not special to Erewash - no idea (whichever guide I was using called it "Erewash Water Conservation Key", so I just assumed it might be).

Its T-shaped, about 4 inches long, turns a small square peg down a long hole.. I didnt have one, and thus needed to get one. Guess it makes sense this type of thing might be used in a variety of places.

Anyway, offer stands if you need to borrow one smile.png

They are very commonly used across the system and are often referred to as a 'handcuff' key. eg virtually all the manual swing bridges on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal are secured with a chain that needs one to open.

They are used on some locks as on the Erewash and often they operate the 'spring open push to lock' bolts on locking mechanisms to secure paddles.

Edited by The Dog House

So, King's Dyke this morning was something of a trial: heading straight into a strong, gusty wind, a reasonable current because of water transfer from the Nene into the Middle Level, and notably bad weed all conspired to slow us down. Tina the lock-keeper had been busy admitting a batch of boats from the Nene: we met the first, muttering darkly, and then the other two, weed hatches open and piles of blanket weed the size of small ponies on the back deck. Welcome to the Middle Level, guys!

By using the technique we've found, by trial and great error, to work in these conditions, we kept going. It's basically full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes: the engine works hard and gets hot, but if you can keep the prop spinning fast enough, it chops the weed faster than it collects it. Whatever happens, don't lose momentum. If you do, you'll be blown into the worst weed at the edge, and all is lost.

So we eventually came smoking and thundering round the corner, 20 minutes early, and were let straight into Stanground lock by Tina. 10 minutes later, we were on the Nene, and all was fine again. We shared Orton lock with a chap who reminded me so strongly of the Eric Sykes character in "The Bargee" that it was difficult not to laugh. He stopped at Ferry Meadows, and we did the rest of the locks solo. Now moored at an otherwise-deserted Elton. Forecast is less wind tomorrow.

MP.

On the VMs at Titchmarsh for an early-ish stop tonight. Middle Nene Cruising Club seems deserted, as usual, but there's obviously going to be a do later in the week: there's an enormous marquee on the field.

We encountered as very helpful EA chap at upper Barnwell lock who had news of trees down along the river in last night's wind. The only one we've got reached so far was at Lilford, and we timed it perfectly, ten minutes after the worst was removed. With any luck the others will be equally efficiently dispatched: apparently the river is, or was, blocked at Billing.

MP.

MP here. Have been in the Braunston phone black-hole with no signal. Some of the networks seem to have sorted Braunston, but O2 is still a no-go there. Moored tonight next to the railway just before Ansty, and the 3G is brilliant.

Anyway: rewind to last Wednesday.

We made it off the Nene: Another fallen tree in Northampton was a bit tricky as was dire weed in the Northampton Washlands. Everywhere else was fine, even the arm not too bad, but the washlands was choked. I suggested to the EA chap we encountered that it wouldn't be a problem on the way back, with the EA weed muncher being mooring on the moorings and all, and he said it might be OK, if the weed muncher didn't break down.

We spent the weekend in the pound above Braunston bottom lock, and met lots of people, paraded on Chertsey and generally had fun at the historic boats meet - plus we ate in at the Admiral Nelson - very posh.

Left this morning and got out past the turn before the 11.00 parade, pausing only to buy diesel from Towcester as we passed. A hot day on the North Oxford, and good progress, including a water and cassette stop at Hillmorton.

Have decided to miss the Ashby this time, to gain a day or two on the schedule for fun and frolics later.

MP.

Quick update. We're in the VMs about Trent Lock tonight, ready to head up the Erewash tomorrow. I've decided that the distinguishing feature of the Trent end of the Trent and Mersey is boats moored in narrow bits. It's not just the boaters: CaRT visitor moorings seem to be deliberately sited in narrows. I'm still scared by the passage through Alrewas.

Aren't the wide locks at the bottom end of the T&M deep? Isn't the Trent wide?

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

Moored at Langley Mill. Nice canal, if a bit shallow and weedy in places. The weed should hold no terrors for anyone who has survived Well Creek or King's Dyke, or even the Northampton Arm. In fact some of the rudder vibration and sluggishness I was blaming on the blanket weed probably came from the red "George at Asda" size 17 shirt I discovered as fruit o' the prop on arrival.

Saw three boats moving all day.

MP.