Best Boat at Crick 2013

Sarah and Ian

Featured Posts

Yes, it was Emily from Navigation Narrowboats of Nantwich. I was told that the builder was William Piper who had previously won Favourite Boat with another fit out using reclaimed wood, but can't find any confirmation of that on their website here.

Jim Birch from Oakcraft Narrowboats at Weedon did wonders with reclaimed wood with 'Baleine', which was subject to an article in 'Canal Boat' in April this year. That was shown at Crick last year, I believe. Having seen the finish, and you want to see artistry with timber, take a look!

Yes, it was Emily from Navigation Narrowboats of Nantwich. I was told that the builder was William Piper who had previously won Favourite Boat with another fit out using reclaimed wood, but can't find any confirmation of that on their website here.

Yes, I saw that (first) Piper boat. It was beautiful and smelled of wood oil. I voted for it. :)

• 3 months later...

The boat that won Best in Show at Crick this year had nothing to do with William Piper. The company folded a couple of years ago but the craftsmen who did such a beautiful job on Pyrus (winner 2009) and Barolo (2011) now go under the name of Oakcraft Narrowboats as Arphamoe has mentioned. They are currently fitting out two more boats - one of them almost completed. It is definitely worth a visit to see them, it's incredible what they do with a bit of reclaimed wood and a paint pot!

Hello All

I understand the best boat at Crick had a lot of reclaimed materials in it. Who built the boat and do they have a website.

Thanks in advance.

Emily was built by Navigation boats at Nantwich marina. The boat was reviewed in August's Canal Boat magazine.

No-one from William Piper was involved in Emily. As others have said, some of the staff from William Piper are now Oakcraft Narrowboats at Weedon. William Piper was never actually involved in the company; the name came from the grandfather of the guy who set it up.

• 7 months later...

The boat that won Best in Show at Crick this year had nothing to do with William Piper. The company folded a couple of years ago but the craftsmen who did such a beautiful job on Pyrus (winner 2009) and Barolo (2011) now go under the name of Oakcraft Narrowboats as Arphamoe has mentioned. They are currently fitting out two more boats - one of them almost completed. It is definitely worth a visit to see them, it's incredible what they do with a bit of reclaimed wood and a paint pot!

Just a note as Crick has just finished again. Pyrus won Crick in 2009 and was built by the chap who founded William Piper Narrowboats. Jim Birch joined the company in 2010 so had no hand in building or designing Pyrus only finishing items and preparing Pyrus for sale for the people who took over and sadly liquidated the company.

Jim did work on Barolo which won in 2009 although again it was designed by the original founder for the owners of Barolo. Jim is however an excellent craftsman, knowledgeable chap and comes recommended.

Most of the cabinets for Pyrus were built by the outstanding Greg Smith who has a different style to Jim http://www.danetrepine.co.uk/ should anyone fancy a reclaimed cabinet or two.

There is an option to switch the toolbar on or off using the little toggle switch, far left on the toolbar itself, check it hasn't been accidentally clicked

Sorry Martin. Special Computer Needs contingent here!!!

Just looked for toggle switch but all I can see is a line of icons for twitter/ Facebook etc

Any other ideas please???

:-\

I can't remember whether it was Pyrus or Barolo that we went round at Crick, but I have a memory of lots of appealingly rustic wood, an immaculate proper engine, and a rather sweet little room at the front which I called "the parlour". It's a pity that Piper's did not last longer. So is Oak Craft still going?

Sorry Martin. Special Computer Needs contingent here!!!

Just looked for toggle switch but all I can see is a line of icons for twitter/ Facebook etc

Any other ideas please???

:-\

Are you using an ipad per chance.

Safari on an iPad doesn't support the tool bar at all, it doesn't even appear. If not which browser are you using and on what?

Edited by The Dog House

Are you using an ipad per chance.Safari on an iPad doesn't support the tool bar at all, it doesn't even appear. If not which browser are you using and on what?

Does Nexus 7 sound like I know what I'm doing Martin??!! :-)

Does Nexus 7 sound like I know what I'm doing Martin??!! :-)

Right yes its the same on that too if you use the standard Android browser which is Chrome. No support for the tool bar on that either IIRC.

There are a couple of alternate browsers that you can get from Google play that do though, ISTR that the Dolphin browser supports the toolbar function on here.

This year 'The Favourite Boat' competition was won by Shackleton built by Boating Leisure Services. Lovely boat & sold on the second day of the show for £135000 I believe

Sadly they don't seem to have a proper web presence so cant pull up any pics.

Googling them takes you here-

http://www.heyfordfieldsboatyard.co.uk/services.php

Just a note as Crick has just finished again. Pyrus won Crick in 2009 and was built by the chap who founded William Piper Narrowboats. Jim Birch joined the company in 2010 so had no hand in building or designing Pyrus only finishing items and preparing Pyrus for sale for the people who took over and sadly liquidated the company.

Jim did work on Barolo which won in 2009 although again it was designed by the original founder for the owners of Barolo. Jim is however an excellent craftsman, knowledgeable chap and comes recommended.

Most of the cabinets for Pyrus were built by the outstanding Greg Smith who has a different style to Jim http://www.danetrepine.co.uk/ should anyone fancy a reclaimed cabinet or two.

You're right , Jim didn't have anything to do with the original build of Pyrus but he's done plenty for us since and we're not disappointed. We have just had Pyrus repainted by Baxters at Yardley as it was painted rather hurriedly for the show in 2009 and was looking pretty worn. Looks amazing now. There are just so many skilled craftsmen around on the canals and I recommend both Oakcraft and Baxters.

I can't remember whether it was Pyrus or Barolo that we went round at Crick, but I have a memory of lots of appealingly rustic wood, an immaculate proper engine, and a rather sweet little room at the front which I called "the parlour". It's a pity that Piper's did not last longer. So is Oak Craft still going?

That would have been Faith 2010. As I mentioned some "non-boaters" got involved with running William Piper after it began to make a name, the original founder who started it in 2006 had a big fight with them and left after Crick in 2011. The company was soon after liquidated and Jim picked up the pieces.

You're right , Jim didn't have anything to do with the original build of Pyrus but he's done plenty for us since and we're not disappointed. We have just had Pyrus repainted by Baxters at Yardley as it was painted rather hurriedly for the show in 2009 and was looking pretty worn. Looks amazing now. There are just so many skilled craftsmen around on the canals and I recommend both Oakcraft and Baxters.

Pyrus does look good now -- I noticed the repaint when we passed on the way to the show, and today in the rain on the way back.

Pyrus does look good now -- I noticed the repaint when we passed on the way to the show, and today in the rain on the way back.

Thanks Adam. I should also have mentioned the incredible sign writing by Darren Williams. Unbelievably talented.

Can we see some pictures?

Mark, I have just spotted the message at the bottom of your posts: "I wish only for whirred peas". Wot it mean? Mushy peas? Why? Do tell!