Those handcuff thingys on the Rufford Branch

homer2911

Featured Posts

To the person who used the locks immediately before me - was it really necessary to screw every handcuff lock right down to the very last thread? Just a couple of turns is all it needs surely, just to make sure a key would have to be used to unlock each paddle?

To the person who used the locks immediately before me - was it really necessary to screw every handcuff lock right down to the very last thread? Just a couple of turns is all it needs surely, just to make sure a key would have to be used to unlock each paddle?

Will they read this I wonder?

Otherwise how will they answer your question.

(This forum is turning into a right winge fest...)

Perhaps my question was rhetorical, or meant for the wider circle of forum contributors?

Tickled me that did. Someone whinging about people whinging and therefore adding to the whinge fest :D

Tickled me that did. Someone whinging about people whinging and therefore adding to the whinge fest biggrin.png

Like a good winge I do.....

(I'm going to moan about my spell checker in a minute)

Edited by The Dog House

I'm unfamiliar with that canal, but if we are talking about something like the locking bars on the Ashton, I must admit that my action would be to screw them all the way home, (particularly as that is exactly how I found them in the first place).

Arguably they are a crap labour intensive bit of design, (but those on the Ashton are locking hydraulic paddles, so that goes with the territory!), but if BW have made them need lots of turns, that is surely how most people will use them.

The trick, I'm told is a battery powered electric drill with a suitable end on it, but we are not that organised!

Am I allowed to have a whinge about his incorrect spelling of whinge? :-)

Beat you to it and spotted it already......left it though so you could have a whinge about it.

(Google chrome still doesn't think it's spelt correctly BTW.)

I have our handcuff key on a piece of string round my neck, which works really well most of the time. On those particular locks the system failed dismally - I nearly throttled myself the first time I used it because you have to keep turning instead of one click.

• Greenie 2

I have our handcuff key on a piece of string round my neck, which works really well most of the time. On those particular locks the system failed dismally - I nearly throttled myself the first time I used it because you have to keep turning instead of one click.

It would certainly lead to an unusual post mortem report!

I bet if you were to report it to CRT they would see it as an immediate Health and Safety risk, and probably remove all the locking mechanisms!

We had to take ours off our cork key ring for the Leeds and Liverpool swing bridges for the same reason ' it kept jamming against the chain.

We had to take ours off our cork key ring for the Leeds and Liverpool swing bridges for the same reason ' it kept jamming against the chain.

Ah yes - they're buggers aren't they. Someone said to me "let gravity do the bulk of the work for you" which was great advice.

Edited by Ange

I made up a 'handcuff key' using a ratchet handle for a socket/screwdiver, with a 1/4" socket reversed in it. This was originally for HNC locks where the handcuff spindle is so worn that a normal key won't turn it, but I now use it all the time for these types of mechanism, mainly because the ratchet makes it so much quicker and less awkward than the T-shaped key.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I made up a 'handcuff key' using a ratchet handle for a socket/screwdiver, with a 1/4" socket reversed in it.

With respect, it's not really a good idea to publish that information. Around our way on the L&L I have witnessed the local 'oiks' trying to use such things as long nose pliers and screwdrivers to open the handcuff keys on locks. It's bad enough suffering stupid boaters leaving paddles open, but some of the local "Jeremy Kyle fodder" would have a field day if they found out We would really prefer the information about "how to make a handcuff key" to be kept quietly amongst genuine boaters.

With respect, it's not really a good idea to publish that information. Around our way on the L&L I have witnessed the local 'oiks' trying to use such things as long nose pliers and screwdrivers to open the handcuff keys on locks. It's bad enough suffering stupid boaters leaving paddles open, but some of the local "Jeremy Kyle fodder" would have a field day if they found out We would really prefer the information about "how to make a handcuff key" to be kept quietly amongst genuine boaters.

Who's 'we' ???

Surely even 'Jeremey Kyle fodder' would be able to work out how to do this if they really wanted to....

Who's 'we' ???

Me and several boating friends at this end of the L&L. who use "alternative" handcuff keys. Sure we don't represent everybody but we've discussed this matter several times and feel the information is best kept among boaters. It is a 'security' key after all.

The 'Jeremy Kyle Fodder' can't buy a key then? Or are they so stupid that they don't realise?

Yes, they are that stupid. They often want to fill some locks to the brim to swim in (don't ask me why - I don't know). And sometimes it's just a "cause mayhem" thing for bored teenagers. It would help everybody that responsibly uses the canal if it wasn't made easier for these people.

Having worked in the motor trade I know how to get into certain cars easily. It would be stupid of me (or anyone else) to post the details on a public forum. Well it's a similar situation here, tell friends who have boats, by all means. But posting it in public could lead to more drained and flooded pounds and wasted water.

Edited by wobbley

Well i've never been convinced that 'vandals' explain the problems with empty pounds / locks on parts of the L&L but the leaking/ gates/faulty paddle gear may have something to do with it...

I'm with cotswoldsman- I don't replace the handcuff locks if there is a boat following...

(I'm going to moan about my spell checker in a minute)

I wud to iff I cud find the ficker!

I have never understood why people bother to re lock the handcuffs when they know there is a boat following them!!

It might be in case there's a fisherman following them........