Here we come!

Allie

Featured Posts

I sent a text to Allie earlier today and received a voice mail reply earlier this afternoon (we are failing dismally to make 'direct' contact!!). They have have turned up the Market Harboro' arm and their intention is to stay in Market Harboro' tomorrow (Monday) as the weather has thus far precluded the planned excusions.

I have just finished talking to Allie - they have been out for a meal. Either late tomorrow or Tuesday they will tackle Foxton Staircase locks, I suggested that once they complete the ascent they moor and take the opportunity to look around the site of the 'inclined plane'. They then intend doing the Welford Arm.

I shall catch up with them at the weekend and, if they pop over Allie can add something on this thread.

I sent a text to Allie earlier today and received a voice mail reply earlier this afternoon (we are failing dismally to make 'direct' contact!!). They have have turned up the Market Harboro' arm and their intention is to stay in Market Harboro' tomorrow (Monday) as the weather has thus far precluded the planned excusions.

I have just finished talking to Allie - they have been out for a meal. Either late tomorrow or Tuesday they will tackle Foxton Staircase locks, I suggested that once they complete the ascent they moor and take the opportunity to look around the site of the 'inclined plane'. They then intend doing the Welford Arm.

I shall catch up with them at the weekend and, if they pop over Allie can add something on this thread.

Send them my best and a virtual pint!

Message sent Bones. :lol:

Fabulous! I hope they are meeting lots of the forum as they fly around the waterways! I am looking forward to hearing their account when they are done. It sounds as though they are having fun so far!

:lol:

That's great. Market Harborough, Foxton, and the Welford Arm were some of my favourite bits of the Leicester trip. I'm sure they'll enjoy the next couple of days.

I just hope they'll slow down a bit, Bill must think he's in bike race!

Tony :lol:

Maybe they're planning to go round twice!

Actually, when we did the Leicester Ring in May (going the opposite way round), we thought it was a bit short for two weeks. So at Fradley we stayed on the T&M, and extended the circuit by going to Tixal, up the Wolverhampton 21 and into Birmingham that way. We'd got quite ahead of schedule because we wanted to get off the Soar because the rain meant the levels were rising, but we'd also had a couple of very short days too, when we tried to try out. Even so, our extended route filled a fortnight perfectly.

ok..........

well I just arrived back from my holiday in Greece to find I am missing all the excitement right on my doorstep!"

where are they likely to be now and when does their holiday end? can anyone tell me? I may be able to catch up with them at a pub one evening?

Pegisoo,

PM me and I will see where they are. Tomorrow (tueday) they will be negotiating the Foxton Staircase and heading south on their way back to Rugby. So if you are in the area I may be able to home you in!!

I just spoke to Allie, They've had an eventful day. They were about to leave Market Harborough, engine running, casting off mooring lines etc, when Bill heard a woman's cries for help. There was a little old lady (called Barbara, you know what Allie is like for research!) who was accompanied by a great big Irish Wolfhound, the problem was she should have had TWO great big Irish Wolfhounds. The missing one was in the canal having fallen in and it couldn't get out. Apparently it had been in the water for some time and was weakening. Bill eventually heaved the dog out of the water. It weighed, it seems about 100lbs. The dog was in a very poor state and unable to stand. Bill started to carry the dog , until someone lent him a wheelbarrow, back to the Lady's car. Bill went home with her and called the vet. The vet came and finally pronounced the dog to be recovering.

They eventually returned to the boat and they got away at noon. There was a queue at Foxton and much to Bill's disgust there would be a 1-1/2 hour wait. Allie shot off and did a tour of the site, shopping, talking to people etc. while Bill remained with the boat "in case" they moved up a bit. On getting to the top of the flight, Bill was a little less fed up when he met some boaters waiting to come down and they had been told that they would have to wait until the next day.

Bill's philosphy of "plan the flight, fly the plan" meant that when I spoke to Allie it was near dark and Bill finally conceded that they would have to stop for the night. At the time of the call Allie didn't quite know where they were, but I suspect they are nearing the Welford arm

More when I get it.

- I do wish they would slow down a bit!

Edited by tony collins

- I do wish they would slow down a bit!

Are you sure you didn't engineer the dog in the canal incident and the wait at Foxton, just to slow them down?

Must say that I'm enjoying this blow by blow account of someone else's holiday, particularly having done the route recently. We had to wait only about half an hour to go down Foxton in May, but the lock keeper said that at peak times six hours isn't unusual. And of course it's longer if someone decides to flood the middle pound!

I spoke to Allie at about 14.00 today. They were just passing Bridge 20 on the GU (in the vicinity of Yelvertoft) and she was expecting ' a tunnel (Crick) anytime.

They left Welford this morning but were obliged to stop and have lunch due to torrential rain and lightning. They are still enjoying the experience with everyday being different.

Thats all for now.

I will be meeting them on Sunday.

Edited by TeeELL

:D

You mean Shermans?

No Moley, Its definately septics, a Sherman is something quite different, although being a Septic does not preclude being a Sherman (see G Bush Jnr.) :D

Edited by tomsk

They've been spotted. After they left Welford this morning (I think), They were passing another boat, when the cry was heard "Is Allie on board?" I don't know who it was but no doubt we will get to learn the details later.

The "L" plate has been removed from the front of the boat after the antics displayed at Foxton by some of the Canaltime helmsmen.

It also helped their image/confidence a little later when approaching their second tunnel. They arrived at the tunnel mouth to find two boats stopped at the entrance. People from the boats were shouting into mobile phones demanding instructions on how to deal with a tunnel. "Old hands" Allie & Bill simply said "follow us we've done it before". Yeah! Like earlier in the day they had! I told them that they would get the hang of it sooner or later.

As TeeELL has said they have watched some TV today due to heavy downpours.

I hope to see them Thursday night at Braunston, but definitely on Saturday as we are taking them to the Motorcycle Museum and pick up a hire car for their few days in the Cotswolds

No Moley, Its definately septics, a Sherman is something quite different, although being a Septic does not preclude being a Sherman (see G Bush Jnr.) :D

:D Thought he was a Merchant ?

Yeah, ok, you've still not explained the relevance to this thread.

Sorry Tony, don't think there is any, you'd better ask Snibble (he started it), I'm outta here.

I think Snibble may have beed sniffing his saw dust before replying to the entry in my post about them 'still enjoying the experience'. By applying suitable translation we come up with:

"Most remarkable people, septics Americans." So was our furry friend being ironic? :D