Battery replacement recommendation in the Rugby area

Featured Posts

Hi all.

It looks like I will have to replace my domestic batteries and wonder if any of you good folks have a recommendation for anyone who can supply and fit them. We are based in the Rugby area.

Unfortunately the set up we have in our boat is not the usual 4 or 5 110ah battery arrangement, which would be straightforward to replace, but two 245 ah gel batteries which weigh a ton. Well, almost!

Although they are expensive, it is not practical to alter the layout of the existing setup so it would seem we are pretty much having to replace like for like.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Ken

I'm not a battery expert, but I think the following will be helpful to anyone who can answer your question.

Make

Model

Ref Nos. identifying marks etc.

Dimensions l x b x h

Ah = 245

If you get the same size etc. fitting is easy, apart from weight. Could you DIY? Do you have somewhere they could be delivered to?

If the latter, have a look at Tanya, Alpha, Battery Megastore, to name but 3 of the seemingly reputable stockists. They all have good websites.

Hi all.

It looks like I will have to replace my domestic batteries and wonder if any of you good folks have a recommendation for anyone who can supply and fit them. We are based in the Rugby area.

Unfortunately the set up we have in our boat is not the usual 4 or 5 110ah battery arrangement, which would be straightforward to replace, but two 245 ah gel batteries which weigh a ton. Well, almost!

Although they are expensive, it is not practical to alter the layout of the existing setup so it would seem we are pretty much having to replace like for like.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Ken

Zayna batteries, US2200 or Trojan T105 4 off.

What is the size of your existing battery box that is so unique that nothing else will do?

Thanks for your replies.

However, the problem I seem to have is that there is nowhere else really suitable (short of major cabin surgery) to install a greater number of a different type of battery, which would probably be the easiest and most economical solution. The engine room hasn't any space due to the diesel genny and Hurricane heater.

Our existing battery box is at the bottom of the electrical cupboard near the bottom of the rear entry steps of our semi-trad. In this cupboard is also the Victron MultiPlus Inverter/Charger, a large 12v Distribution box and a 240v consumer unit. So access is quite tight. I don't think it's just a matter of size of the battery box, but also of the overall access to the battery box. Which is why I am reluctant to just measure the box and order some batteries.

I had a back injury some years ago (i'm retired now) so I try and avoid anything that will trigger it off again. Trying to shift a couple of batteries that weigh I believe 72kg each, out of and into, a confined space is just the sort of thing to do exactly that! So my idea is to go for a good pair of Gel or AGM batteries that hopefully will last several years and be done with it.

I can of course find a supplier of batteries, but I would really prefer to find someone who can both supply and fit.

Ideally someone who could come to the boat, see exactly the nature of the undertaking, measuring up etc, and then supplying and fitting a couple of suitable batteries.

I have spoken to a few suppliers who can supply the batteries, but none will actually fit them.

So, has anyone any knowledge of such a supplier and/or fitter?

Once again, thanks for your ideas.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

I would suggest you contact Rose Narrowboats and see if they can help you. They should be able to get the batteries and also fit them for you. You don't really need a battery supplier you need a fitter who can get what is required to do the job. They may even come up with a better solution.

I'd support the Rose idea, given where you are and the problems you've described.

Rose claim expertise in electrics & have been recommended to me for such in the past. I didn't use them in the end as my needs were more straightforward, and I got a cheaper deal elsewhere.

They will certainly deal with the supply and fitting you need I'm sure.