Water pump flow question

artyfharty

Featured Posts

Hello
I have a new Shurflow Aquaking water pump that works fine when the tap(s) are opened fully but at half or third flow the pump cuts in and out every second or two, annoying and probably not good for it.

You might say just open the tap fully but that way I'll get through a lot of water quickly.

I know that there is an adjuster screw on this pump, would it somehow regulate the point at which the pump cycles fully?

The tank is full, no obstructions, and is above the level of the pump, the pump is mounted flat.

Any advice appreciated

AF

An accumulator will help a lot but ideally a smaller cheaper less powerful, less pressure, less volume of water per minute pumped is best. Say a 20psi one instead of a 30-40psi pump. And will be smoother and quieter.

Edited by bizzard

OK, thanks for all those. Just put the new pump in, so probably best to put an accumulator in, water system is kitchen sink, shower and handbasin, so not huge with hot water from Valiant gas heater. I'm presuming the accumulator can be installed close to the pump itself, ie in the same cupboard? And that a Jabsco like this http://www.piratescave.co.uk/jabsco-accumulator-tank-1litre-with-membrane.ir?cName=boat-chandlery-toilets-pumps-heads-freshwater-pumps would do the trick?

OK, thanks for all those. Just put the new pump in, so probably best to put an accumulator in, water system is kitchen sink, shower and handbasin, so not huge with hot water from Valiant gas heater. I'm presuming the accumulator can be installed close to the pump itself, ie in the same cupboard? And that a Jabsco like this http://www.piratescave.co.uk/jabsco-accumulator-tank-1litre-with-membrane.ir?cName=boat-chandlery-toilets-pumps-heads-freshwater-pumps would do the trick?

Or Sur-flo do a plastic one that supposedly matches the Sur-flow Aquaking pump. Small capacity though. about 1 litre I think. M/Chandlers stock them, about £45.

Water pump makers and vendors always promote their more powerful and more expensive range of pumps, more so than their less powerful pumps knowing that you'll then probably want an accumulator too and hope to flog you one and so make a thorough and complete killing.

Aye - it's most effective when sited within a few feet of the pump.

(I've just fitted a new accumulator (our previous one died a couple of months ago) - and it's a real pleasure turning the tap on without the incessant staccato chatter of the pump every time.

(I fitted an 8Litre accumulator)

IMO the bigger the better, I can draw enough water to make 2 mugs of tea without the pump starting. when it comes on it runs for 20 seconds after the tap is turned off.

Edited by ditchcrawler