Chinese engines

Featured Posts

Rover MG?

I asked a respected engine guy recently, who posts on here occasionally, he said they were rubbish and explained why. Bulk order bought and imported, shortage of any spares in near future.

Edited by jenlyn

any one know anything about kingfisher marine engines ? the one iv'e seen is a Chinese Fuzhou 295 / 395, what engine are they based on ? are they any good ?

The boat yard owner here has I think a Kingfisher KD25 twin cylinder with gearbox in his boat shed which as far as I'm aware is ok and probably for sale that's all I know about it.

The Kingfisher engine name is a blast from the past! British not Chinese though, surely!

There was a beauty on ebay a few weeks ago. I posted a link to it but can't find it now...

MtB

Edit to add, found now: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KINGFISHER-KD14-MARINE-DIESEL-ENGINE-16HP-TWIN-CYLINDER-VERY-LOW-HOURS-SUPERB-/130879064271?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_Boat_Engines_EngineParts_SM&hash=item1e790008cf&nma=true&si=bp3%252Fu11BMHWiPMlRUhfGLtjaVeo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

The Kingfisher engine name is a blast from the past! British not Chinese though, surely!

There was a beauty on ebay a few weeks ago. I posted a link to it but can't find it now...

MtB

Edit to add, found now: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KINGFISHER-KD14-MARINE-DIESEL-ENGINE-16HP-TWIN-CYLINDER-VERY-LOW-HOURS-SUPERB-/130879064271?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_Boat_Engines_EngineParts_SM&hash=item1e790008cf&nma=true&si=bp3%252Fu11BMHWiPMlRUhfGLtjaVeo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The one here has been here and forgotten about for a good many years, so is probably British.

MtB

Fuzhou is a clue to where they're made, thanks for your usual level of input MTB ( read as sarcastic as possible )

Fuzhou is a clue to where they're made, thanks for your usual level of input MTB ( read as sarcastic as possible )

You're very welcome. Pleased to have been of some help.

Any chance of a picture of yours? I might know LOADS about them....

MtB

• Greenie 2

Chinese engines with little or no spares support. The main importer and mariniser ceased trading some years ago although they are still being manufactured for non EU markets by several Chinese companies. Not compliant though. The same companies make 2 & 3 cylinder Dorman Ricardo engines as well which are also incapable of EU compliance. Knock offs of 1950s engines in similar fashion to the poor Indian copies of Listers. Avoid.

Edited by steamraiser2

Kingfisher was indeed a British company, a subsidiary of a firm called Darglow in Dorset. They imported base engines from several different Chinese firms (Fuzhou being one of them) and modified and marinised them for the UK market. They operated from 1992 to 1996; I guess their KD26 (2 cylinder) and KD36 (3-cylinder) were seen as a more economical alternative to the RN and to the Gardner (which was still being manufactured at that time).

A few years later, adverts appeared in the boatimags for several months promoting a light-blue painted Chinese engine as a low-cost slow-revving engine. That may have been a TE 395, I no longer have the (small) adverts so i don't know who the importer was.