RCR the 8 day wait I could just manage but the need to tell lies???

Featured Posts

Have you tried pressing the "down" key several times, to take the cursor to below the quoted section?

of course i did.

i managed to delete the gap at the bottom of the edit space trying to C&P the quote boxes into the sensible order for the post to make sense as a whole.

then i couldnt get the cursor to focus down there

its not like im not trying things... grrrr

oh you are so right

i find it irksome.

I liked the old version where you could see the [codingthings] and copy them get what you wanted.

and there is no automatic spell chack - where are my wiggle red lines as i type?

i will persevere for now

Ah now that's another fault. You need to re-instal yer Windows spill chucker. You shouldn't need to, but you do!

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55941

MtB

I knew that really, but honestly, why should you have to load a different page to cancel a fecked-up post?

I wonder if it is possible to revert to the old software. Far superior coding.

Another thing that annoys me about this new software is the absence of a PREVIEW button. I know it's supposed to be WYSIWYG but I still find errors easier to spot in a fresh window.

MtB

it's in the more reply options stupid extra step bit too

edited to add: '

Edited by LoneWolf

I liked the old version where you could see the [codingthings] and copy them get what you wanted.

Whilst I agree with the general thrust, in fact you can view the codingthings if you use the lightswitch icon (top left of the window) to flip between the HTML - type text and the wysiwyg. That is, if you aren't using an ipad whereby all those gadgets are missing!

Whilst I agree with the general thrust, in fact you can view the codingthings if you use the lightswitch icon (top left of the window) to flip between the HTML - type text and the wysiwyg. That is, if you aren't using an ipad whereby all those gadgets are missing!

That is why some of my posts are Gibberish. Touch keyboard on iPod so no gadgety thingies.

Good god, for the first time in my life I am in agreement with nicknorman, a Hudson owner! well said that man.

Blimey, an effusive agreement about a minor IT issue, or were you referring to my earlier comments on self-sufficient maintenance?

of course i did.

i managed to delete the gap at the bottom of the edit space trying to C&P the quote boxes into the sensible order for the post to make sense as a whole.

then i couldnt get the cursor to focus down there

its not like im not trying things... grrrr

I've found it best to type my text first, and only then edit out unwanted bits from the quoted text.

No prob then with disappearing cursor.

Tim

Was it like this

Not it is very different so not common (i'm sympathetic to RCR in that respect)

This is a pic of the broken one

driveplate.jpg

It all depends on how easy it is to get the bolts out of the gearbox to flywheel housing adaptor plate and/or if there is no adaptor plate if the rear mounts are on the flywheel housing. On the 1.5 I suspect the mounts are on the flywheel housing and unless it is an old engine there is probably no adaptor plate.

You also need enough space between the shaft coupling and gearbox coupling to pull the box clear of drive plate. Usually with the rudder hard over the shaft will go back far enough though.

If you are into a bit of DIY it is perfectly doable but you may need a jack to lift the engine clear of the mounts and a bit of grunt to lift the gearbox free. Just work methodically.

The only engines I know that may not have drive plates are the 100% marine engines, often with the flywheel at the "wrong" end and some Self Changing Gears, Lister and BMC DCA/B boxes.

Tony, yes it a difficult space and it was difficult for the guy to get out, he had to use a jack as well. also all the bolts were glued into pace and it took him 4hrs to extract the old plate. I watched most of the extraction but not the replacement

Like I say I will do some courses down the line, but I have to admit, this is not a job I would want to do inside a boat.

Jim

Jim

Edited by jim and pat dalton

The light switch icon? oh that's an obvious thing to look for

Hurrah, it works - and the wavy red lines come back as i type

thank you muchly

I can't see a "light switch" icon anywhere...

MtB

when you get the reply box it's right next to the pic of you in the hoodie - with the pink & whit eraser* on the other side. Above the B

*rubber to us english

eta: not the reply box you can see below the thread. The one you get when you click 'quote'

Edited by LoneWolf

when you get the reply box it's right next to the pic of you in the hoodie - with the pink & whit eraser* on the other side. Above the B

*rubber to us english

eta: not the reply box you can see below the thread. The one you get when you click 'quote'

Yay, found it! Fanx!

MtB

We broke our drive plate trying to escape from the ice in Lancaster. Fortunately our boaty neighbour was an RCR man and we'd done him a favour the previous day so he helped us with the repair. Sourcing the part was the first hard bit, being a 1990 boat we often find that parts have become obsolete, then replacements obsolete. When the part was sourced (bear with me because Dave's in bed now so I may not be too accurate!) a winchy thingy had to be hired to lift the engine out so they could replace the drive plate??? I provided a lot of tea/coffee and biscuits for two men that were knee deep in freezing canal water for the best part of a day.

Dave learned a huge amount, we got a damn good rate for the RCR off duty man's labour due to goodwill (rewarded with a bottle of whisky for him and a bottle of red for his mussus)

All good :)

I've been a member for about 10 years. My experience is that the management were good but they employ some monkeys to do the work.

My biggest gripe with them is the poor No Claims Bonus. I hadn't called them out for ten years because I look after my boat and know how to fix it, preferably before I get stuck. It rather irks to hear some of the frivolous things that they get called out for. Then there was the compulsory parts cover and the increase in premiums.

Eventually, I knew my Vetus alternator was shot. i could have taken it off and got it repaired but I thought "sod it, about time RCR did something" so I let them fix it. New Vetus alternator cost me £50 excess. I then had to take it off and refit it as the monkey had put a thick washer on the wrong side so the belt was out of alignment.

I won't be renewing. It is pretty easy to get a good mobile signal these days and there are plenty of mobile canal engineers around, on the rare chance that I might get caught out a long way from home. Wouldn't take long to recoup my membership fees. Just regret the amount I have paid over the years, with loyalty rewarded with a paltry NCB.

To above post its easy for you to call someone a monkey on a forum ................ wot do you do then???? can i call you out on a whim to crawl around in your own mess i doubt it the fact is mate you sighn up for these things and when it falls a'bit short of wot you think its front page news we are talking a 20p washer here and £5 belt its not the end of the world and whos to say the lad who came out had not had a very long hard day driving miles to get to you we all make mistakes im sure you are (not a complete idiot) ......................... need i say more

To above post its easy for you to call someone a monkey on a forum ................ wot do you do then???? can i call you out on a whim to crawl around in your own mess i doubt it the fact is mate you sighn up for these things and when it falls a'bit short of wot you think its front page news we are talking a 20p washer here and £5 belt its not the end of the world and whos to say the lad who came out had not had a very long hard day driving miles to get to you we all make mistakes im sure you are (not a complete idiot) ......................... need i say more

I guess you are in the industry? And with endemic attitudes like that its easy to see where the problem lies.

I maintain aircraft and take lots of care not to make silly mistakes. (FLW!). If I did I would be mortified - probably literally!

Edited by nicknorman

Good morning kittsy.

You may like to go back and reread my post. You will notice that I normally fix my boat myself, that goes for anything from a fuse to replacing a drive plate. And if a so-called "engineer" comes out and fits something as simple as an alternator and does it wrong. On his first call of the day. Which could have caused significantly more problems. In an easily accessible part of a clean engine room. After bringing a totally unsuitable generic alternator the day before despite knowing my exact engine and alternator details. For which I pay a lot of money. Then yes, I think it is both easy and justified in calling him (and his mate - there were two of them!) a monkey.

What is your job with RCR?

please dont assume anything with with me fella i dont work for them my point to you is you have no place to call anyone a monkey and i feel you should retract your comment wot i do is of no concern of yours nosey who the hell do you think you are hope this wrecks your sunday and will leave you consumed with anger dont bother re posting mate coz im of to enjoy mine se ya

please dont assume anything with with me fella i dont work for them my point to you is you have no place to call anyone a monkey and i feel you should retract your comment wot i do is of no concern of yours nosey who the hell do you think you are hope this wrecks your sunday and will leave you consumed with anger dont bother re posting mate coz im of to enjoy mine se ya

I guess you get all sorts on this forum - unfortunately! Never mind dor, I'm sure that although you'll be "consumed with anger" you'll get over it! In about ten nanoseconds.

Edited by nicknorman

I guess you get all sorts on this forum - unfortunately! Never mind dor, I'm sure that although you'll be "consumed with anger" you'll get over it! In about ten nanoseconds.

Five actually!