Nav light faded

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Currently my green navlight is faded and as a result shows a white light when illuminated. Now I know that they are not really required on most of the inland waterways, but as they are wired into the tunnel light, I would like to avoid possible confusion and blinding others when going through the dark bits. I can buy a new lense for £18, but I was thinking of using some glass paint available in Hobbycraft for £2.60!

Has anyone any experience of using this and what colour would be best, I'm thinking dark green rather than a lighter green or the turquoise.

Or do I just take the nav bulbs out either side?

Cheers TM

For the cost of a box of Quality Street toffees in which there is a mint flavoured chocolate coated one wrapped in green translucent cellophane which you could stick over the lens. There is also red port wrappers wrapping strawberry creams. Just using two will leave you plenty left to rot your teeth. smile.png

• Greenie 1

If you are going to paint it then you need to check the distance from which it can still be seen. Paint it too dark a green and the light wont shine through it properly.

Check the regulations to see what distances your lights need to be visible from as it varies depending on the size of your boat.

Personally I would change the lens. or possible the whole light as it may be cheaper. Everything Boat and Coastal Rides sell whole units for around £12.

Are you intending to make the Nav lights comply with the regulations for travelling at night on rivers etc? If so, the small ones on most narrowboats are not powerful or visible enough to meet the regulations and may be regarded as purely for decoration. It is worth considering, do you want to spend money on a decoration, would it be an easier option to get rid of them, or do you want to take the opportunity upgrade them to proper ones?

Hi all,

Currently my green navlight is faded and as a result shows a white light when illuminated. Now I know that they are not really required on most of the inland waterways, but as they are wired into the tunnel light, I would like to avoid possible confusion and blinding others when going through the dark bits. I can buy a new lense for £18, but I was thinking of using some glass paint available in Hobbycraft for £2.60!

Has anyone any experience of using this and what colour would be best, I'm thinking dark green rather than a lighter green or the turquoise.

Cheers TM

I think I got mine in Tooley's for about three quid each.

I doubt your ageing lamps would cause any problems with blinding on coming boaters in tunnels.

That which does cause problems are those people who insist on having a fire engine lamp on the front which is far too powerful for the task and people who point their lamps straight forward or down to the water. Curse them all!!!

Pointing the tunnel lamp up at the roof is the way to go . Any other option is just ********* ********** !!!

Hi all,

Cheers TM

The boaters you meet in tunnels should be on the opposite side of the boat to the oncoming boater. red to Red

Thanks for the replys everyone. I shall get the glass paint and either paint the bulb or the lens. I did look around for other light units, but they were significantly smaller than the ones already fitted.

I'm treating them as purely a decorative item so as long as they look right then that will do for me. They will only be on when going through tunnels and I certainly will not be travelling on any of the big rivers that require them as a condition of passage. They are difficult enough during the day let alone at night!

I will as some stage wire them in separately from the tunnel light and may remove them when the boat gets it next paint.

Edited by Tobymonster

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update. I painted the bulb and the inside of the glass lens with one coat of light green glass paint from Hobbycraft. Turned out alright, a nice uniform green light that is visible from a considerable distance and equal to the light emitted from the other side.

The before, after and fitted photos...

DSC_0201.JPG?gl=GBDSC_0202.JPG?gl=GBDSC_0203.JPG?gl=GB

We shall see how long the colour lasts though...