Cruising on the Thames from brentford

Babyjune

Featured Posts

Hi have been eagerly planning my two week summer trip and the places I seem to want to go will require a trip down the Thames. This prospect worries me considerably as new to boating. Should we wait until we are more experienced. Is it dangerous, and what are the dangers.sorry to ask I have tried to find threads look on the Internet but have not really found any answers. Many thanks for looking

Hello know I think that I want to join the Thames at brentford and go to oxford and them come back via brentford I moor on the stort. Thank you

Really a doddle do I need an anchor will I get caught up in eddies, currents and slip streams, or is my over active imagination making a gentle river into white water rafting.

Your biggest problem will be ensuring you don't miss the turn from The Thames onto the Grand Union on the way back, it's not properly marked now. I think officially you should have a VHF radio but you'll be OK from Brentford to Teddington. An anchor is always a good idea for any river. Have you thought about going out at Limehouse? It's a great cruise and will save you over a day, and you'll still get to see London on the way back.

Yes, that's understandable but it is a lovely trip and will save you at least a full day's travel as opposed to going through London. It's easier if you can find someone who has done it before and has a VHF radio (and licence) to go with. We'll be doing it twice this year, on 12 May and probably 8th or 9th of August and would happily assist. I would think if you give your dates on here there's a fair chance of finding someone to go with.

Your biggest problem will be ensuring you don't miss the turn from The Thames onto the Grand Union on the way back, it's not properly marked now. I think officially you should have a VHF radio but you'll be OK from Brentford to Teddington. An anchor is always a good idea for any river. Have you thought about going out at Limehouse? It's a great cruise and will save you over a day, and you'll still get to see London on the way back.

There is an exemption on the VHF requirement for narrow boats just travelling between Brentford and Teddington. You definitely do not need it, unless going downstream of Brentford.

Personally I would say that an anchor and life jackets both make sense, but I'm a cautious type, and I know many don't bother.

Hi graham thank you very much, that really does sound like a plan not sure if I can change my dates but what a lovely helpful forum. I notice you are from bishops stortford we are moored near there at little hallingbury. We are moored at Enfield at the moment and heading to London this weekend. Again thank you

I came up the Thames from Chertsey to Reading last Friday and Saturday, punching against the current.

With the current ground water saturation the river can go onto yellow and red boards with only a day or twos rain, so if you need to move at all in these conditions then carrying an anchor and warp is vital.

If the river is on yellow board (or going onto reds) then talk to lockkeepers on the conditions in their reach, stay well away from weirs, look ahead and read the river and don't hesitate to use the power of your engine if you need it. Coming upstream keep a bit of power in reserve for getting through bridge holes and around islands where width is restricted and the current increases.

Sounds a bit difficult for us still pretty inexperienced and not very brave lol my engine does not seem very powerful and think for one unless I am with someone with more experience will stick to the stort and canals love hearing about others experiences

enfield to little venice is a good days boating then next day head for bulls bridge and then its a heavy but nice trip down to brentford from there, leave brentford about an hour before high water and its a fairly swift trip to Teddington with the tide

alternatively leave Limehouse as soon as you can get over the cill just after low water, push on swiftly to Chelsea and then take your time from there onwards go with someone who's done it before if you can its a great trip but be prepared anchor, strong ropes and lifejackets without a doubt

Hi BabyJune,

This is AussieBob here. I joined this forum site about a month ago searching for someone who had previously hired from Black Prince canal boats at Yeading and travelled along the Grand Union to the Thames River towards Reading. We are doing this trip in August as canal boat virgins and would like to communicate with a 'recent' traveller. We can be contacted on mibosa52@tpg.com.au, to avoid others having to read my stupid questions. I have requested for persons who have travelled our proposed path but have not received any useful responses. Regards, Bob.

Hi BabyJune,

This is AussieBob here. I joined this forum site about a month ago searching for someone who had previously hired from Black Prince canal boats at Yeading and travelled along the Grand Union to the Thames River towards Reading. We are doing this trip in August as canal boat virgins and would like to communicate with a 'recent' traveller. We can be contacted on mibosa52@tpg.com.au, to avoid others having to read my stupid questions. I have requested for persons who have travelled our proposed path but have not received any useful responses. Regards, Bob.

Asking for a Black Prince hirer who has done this trip will be like looking for a needle in a haystack, but there are plenty on here who will have doen this trip (in whole or in part) in other boats. Just post your questions on here, and more than likely someone will respond.

Asking for a Black Prince hirer who has done this trip will be like looking for a needle in a haystack, but there are plenty on here who will have doen this trip (in whole or in part) in other boats. Just post your questions on here, and more than likely someone will respond.

Indeed. I answered Aussiebobs original query as I thought it related to something very specific about the BP boats. I did the Thames-Wey transit from Willowtree Marina a couple of years ago (and hoping to get to the head of navigation of the Thames in a few weeks time). First night I stopped at the bottom of the Hanwell flight, giving me enough time to get to Brentford in the morning to lock out at 11:30am to catch the tide up to Teddington. While waiting at Brentford I spoke to a couple of other boaters to say hello/offer to sling a rope if anything goes pear shaped, etc. Suffice to say everything went swimmingly and much fun was had.

Keep an eye out on the Environment Agency website http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk and the local weather conditions over the days prior to your trip to see what the river is up to. My partner lives in Laleham so I go past the river at Chertsey pretty regularly. The Thames there is quite placid at the moment, but there still is a fair bit of groundwater still around and we noticed last week after a day of rain the river levels rose quite quickly. Something to bear in mind.

As regards to BP boats on the Thames, we see them coming through Penton Hook lock on a regular basis. So Aussiebob, don't worry, Jackie and Pontus at Willowtree will see you right.

Edited by eightpot

Thanks to Eightpot, Dave Mack and BabyJune for their advice. I'm sitting in South Australia doing lots of research on all the web sites, including Canal Plan which gives me a good idea of times, distances, locks etc and I have read on numerous sites about the tides. I might need to work out this forum better because I cannot seem to find any original response by Eightpot. Regards, AussieBob.