Rigas PM-24?

TIZWIZ

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

From Michael Clarke's database:

Rigas Dizelis PM24 2 Cylinder 24 BHP @ 1800 RPM weight 1155lbs

Probably not a lot of help, but a starting point?..................................

Edited by PhilR

The factory at Riga in Latvia was set up by the invading Germans in World War 2. There they manufactured Deutz-based engines for military use. When the Germans were turfed out in 1945 the factory just kept on making the engines, and still does.

In the 1990s and early 2000s they were imported by Marine Engine Services (forum member Chris B will be able to tell you more). I bought one for installation in our last boat 'Batto'. I loved it - the look, the traditional slow-revving sound, it had plenty of power too. Its drawback was that when cold it ran VERY smoky - a few times I had to apologise to nearby boaters and towpath walkers while it was warming up in the mornings.

I believe that MES can still supply parts for the engines. Are you thinking of buying a boat which has one?

EDITEDTO ADD:

- during the five years that we had the boat, the engine never went wrong. We just had it serviced once a year.

- Tony Redshaw, acknowledged diesel engine authority, told me that "They would be good engines if they were put together properly". I think he was referring to East European engineering tolerances being more lax than those in more advanced countries.

Edited by Athy

Thanks all.......much appreciated.....sorry for being vague.....yes I am looking at a boat with one fitted....but have never heard of them before and couldnt find out much on the net.

I didnt want to be stuck with a dog of an engine with no chance of spares and good people to repair and service it :)

Thanks again.

............................. Its drawback was that when cold it ran VERY smoky - a few times I had to apologise to nearby boaters and towpath walkers while it was warming up in the mornings.

Just like a Gardner then wink.png

I agree, I had a look around Oberon too and the Rigas sounds wonderful.

It is a bit like certain breeds of dog though. Sounds bigger than it looks. I mean physically, it is a tiny engine for the amazing sound it makes. The photos don't really impart an impression of it's size. You look in the engine room and wonder how an engine about the size of a 1500BMC can sound like, and put out the power of a twin cylinder Gardner twice it's size.

MtB

Hey Guys,

thanks for the help.......have tried the link at Brinklow...Oberon.....but couldnt see the video.....and here the Rigas?

I am more comfortable with the engine thanks.....but will have to try Peter Thompson a call :)

Thanks again.

Andrew