Shell Fish On Your Hull?

minerva

Featured Posts

Has anyone else had this?

My neighbour who's boat has been in the water for 4 yrs has just had it out for blacking, and he says he must have scraped about 2 tonnes of fresh water muscles from the underside of his boat!

I know others on the S.Yorkshire navigations have had this also....

Its not going to do much for your fuel consumption, with all that hanging on your underside, surely!

:blush:

Our previous boat lived on the Leeds Liverpool. When it was hauled out about four years ago, that too was covered in fresh water mussels. It was only 32 feet, but we managed to fill five of the one hundred weight sand bags. The slipway owner said it was quite common. Incidentally I have seen mussels for sale in garden centres for fish ponds.

My baseplate had quite a few on when it came out last June - strangely only the baseplate & not the sides. I didn't bother to remove them as I couldn't get the pressure washer under there. I can't see them creating much drag & having a great effect on fuel consumption at the speeds we travel - probably not as much as the weed growth! Some of these antifoulings like copper are designed to inhibit marine colonisation for commercial & seagoing craft, but they aren't great for the marine environment.

Could it be that I had mussels because I'm only 2 locks away from the tidal Thames? (Brentford Gauging Lock) I saw some big Chinese mitten crabs in the canal here last summer - a couple were the size of dinner plates! So marine life can obviously move about & get through the locks. Anyone seen any further inland?

Edited by blackrose

My baseplate had quite a few on when it came out last June - strangely only the baseplate & not the sides. I didn't bother to remove them as I couldn't get the pressure washer under there. I can't see them creating much drag & having a great effect on fuel consumption at the speeds we travel - probably not as much as the weed growth! Some of these antifoulings like copper are designed to inhibit marine colonisation for commercial & seagoing craft, but they aren't great for the marine environment.

Could it be that I had mussels because I'm only 2 locks away from the tidal Thames? (Brentford Gauging Lock) I saw some big Chinese mitten crabs in the canal here last summer - a couple were the size of dinner plates! So marine life can obviously move about & get through the locks. Anyone seen any further inland?

We passed some Turtles in Grand Union Paddington Branch in July. They were soaking up the sun on the offside near the golf course.

Simon

nb Bulrush