Help - BMC 1.5 engine

Featured Posts

Smoke is coming out of this triangle thing with 3 bolts but I have no idea what it is called...l it's on the top left of photo .. Plus I have included a close up

http://imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img442/2984/imagevta.jpg

]http://imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img856/151/imagepmh.jpg

Well, I'm not very familiar with this cylinder head, however. In that place, it is probably steam leaking up from the water jacket. Let her cool down, check the water level tomorrow and try tightening up the bolts?

Any BMC 1.5 owners about?

Richard

(is that a 1.5?)

Yep and hi. I have just posted a fuel question about my BMC 1.5. Anyway on mine I have a raw water pump screwed to that bracket. The bracket in that picture seems to attached to the engine mounting rail which is where mine is. Just to the right of that bracket is the water pump and on the top right of the engine block is the thermostat housing. If the water pump is leaking then it could, concievably, spurt hot water on to that bracket. There isn't anything else down there that would smoke so I think it's probably hot water or steam from the cooling system due to said, possible, leak.

Pete

just had another look at the pictures. I cannot see where the thermostat pipe is going and the white pipe just to the right of the bracket is on the other end of the engine block on my engine. That pipe junction corresponding to mine seems to be blocked off. Anyway the white pipe I assume is the return for the cooling water and if the union connecting it to the engine block is leaking it could be spurting hot water or steam straight on to that bracket.

Edited by pete.i

I think the 15mm copper pipe that connects to the engine just to the right of that bracket, then goes throgh a compression couple and heads off at an angle to top right, must be a hot water feed to the calorifier.

Follow it and see if it indeed connects to the calorifier.

On a 1.8, at least, I'd expect that to go to the equivalent hole at the other end of the block. (I can't remember why, that's so, but I think they are usually Tee-ed in at the back of the head, nott the front.

However, if it is what I think it is, it could be leaking cooling water where it joins the engine, and, as has been said, you are seeing the resulting steam.

A small leak can look like quite a bit of steam.

EDIT:

Is this a raw water cooled engine - I can't immediately see the stuff I'd expect it to have if it were cooled by a skin tank on the swim of the boat.

Edited by alan_fincher

Or. ;- You have a vehicle type exhaust manifold on there not a marine one which gets extremely hot, perhaps you have a bit of an oil leak weeping from the valve cover gasket on to it hence oily smoke arising around that bracket.

That appears to be a spare bracket for a fuel filter. The 'smoke' must be coming from something near to that rather than that bit itself

Correct, the bracket is where the normal CAV diesle filter is bolted.

The bracket is held on with a couple of bolts, one of them in the vicinity is a head bolt.

Three possibilities?

1) The head is cracked and steam or combustion products are escaping from a crack (possibly associated with a bolt hole!

2) The rocker cover is not sealed properly and 'oil' vapour is escaping!

3) The calorifier take off has a leak and stema is spaying out!

Can't think of anything else?