buying boat help needed!!!

elsielu

Featured Posts

And do they still say Liverpool Boats completed it at that tme.

Have you asked them to explain how, if LB stopped production 2 years previously?

Hi, yes, I've asked and they say that it was built by Collingwood Boats (and this is on the paperwork). The vendor has only had the boat for a few months and she doesn't know a lot about boats so it may be that the mistake in the ad was an innocent one - she was told that Collingwood Boats took over from LB.

Is the index number the same as the registration number? And is this the same as the Craft ID number? It is the craft ID number that she has given me that she found on the RCD. Thus is where it said that the boat was built by Collingwood boats. Is there another piece of paperwork I should be asking for??

Should I be worried that I can't find the boat (using Craft ID number name - which might not be original) on Jim's site?

Ad on AD states .............

"Cosy and comfortable, just over 2 years old - built in 2010, by Collingwood Boat Builders Ltd (previously Liverpool Boats). Boat has RCD (Recreational Craft Directive) Certificate to confirm completion in August 2010.

Lovely central Bristol home , city retreat or weekly pied a tierre, with a homely feel. Happy to answer any questions! "

"Cosy and comfortable, just over 2 years old - built in 2010, by Collingwood Boat Builders Ltd (previously Liverpool Boats). Boat has RCD (Recreational Craft Directive) Certificate to confirm completion in August 2010.

Lovely central Bristol home , city retreat or weekly pied a tierre, with a homely feel. Happy to answer any questions! "

She's just changed it I think after I emailed her earlier. :P

It does now......

An hour ago it didn't it said what was quoted above!

Cosy and comfortable, just over 2 years old (built in 2010 by Liverpool boats), lovely central bristol home with a homely feel.

Perhaps the vendors are watching this thread, (assuming you are not the vendors!).

Out of interest, how much do people think a residential mooring in Bristol Marina is worth? i.e how much extra value on a boat? - presuming it was definitely transferable and secure that is.

Well frankly, nothing, unless it turns out to have some sort of security of tenure which is highly unlikely.

You expressed a concern about stumping up £1k for a lift and survey and losing it, I reckon you'll be paying a £25k premium at least for this mooring, which you'll probably find you can be told to leave at a month's notice. How much of a premium are you prepared to pay for such a gamble? Only you can answer this....

MtB

It does now......

An hour ago it didn't it said what was quoted above!

Perhaps the vendors are watching this thread, (assuming you are not the vendors!).

To be fair to the vendor (who I've met) she does seem to be lovely. I'm not suspicious of her. I just want to make sure the boat is a goer.

To be fair to the vendor (who I've met) she does seem to be lovely. I'm not suspicious of her. I just want to make sure the boat is a goer.

If it is a Collingwood boat, rather than LB, and the RCD documentation checks out, my fears on the apparent anomaly there are removed.

I can't answer the mooring thing, but I very much doubt paying a massive premium to secure it will give you any security of tenure at all. You need to enquire very carefully, (and not of the vendor!)

Edited by alan_fincher

The key would appear to be the legality of the transfer of the residential mooring and the security of tenure that goes with it. The survey is irrelevant until you have checked this out. I would want to get this information and then check it out independantly to be sure.

A lovely person she may be but as you have said knows nothing about boats so should not be relied upon for any information. I wonder why she is selling so quickly? - act in haste repent at leisure perhaps. The boat is as Mike has said about £25 too dear, it is only a Liverpool boat after all. Perhaps you should take more time and look at other boats and not as in this case take on someone else's highly priced mistake. Buy with your head not your heart.

I think this boat is overpriced too. The OP's desire to get a foothold in Bristol marina is possibly clouding judgement. At the end of the day the boat will depreciate in value, If there's no guarantee of a secure lengthy mooring, then the estimated 25k over price is money down the drain.

Appreciated that property in that location is expensive, however bearing in mind in securing the mooring you'll have to pay rent on the mooring as well which I've heard is quite expensive anyway, and the original cost of the craft I would suggest that you go for a property instead which would give you a good return long term.

If you have a great desire for a boat though and more so for the boat than it's current location, then fine spend the money and happily accept the losses.But I would at the very minimum want a 5 year guarantee of a mooring.

do you need residensal mooring just as a work place /bolt hole

Yes. Both me and my husband are freelance and want somewhere we can use to work away from the house and family and to also use as a bolt hole.

I think this boat is overpriced too. The OP's desire to get a foothold in Bristol marina is possibly clouding judgement. At the end of the day the boat will depreciate in value, If there's no guarantee of a secure lengthy mooring, then the estimated 25k over price is money down the drain.

Appreciated that property in that location is expensive, however bearing in mind in securing the mooring you'll have to pay rent on the mooring as well which I've heard is quite expensive anyway, and the original cost of the craft I would suggest that you go for a property instead which would give you a good return long term.

If you have a great desire for a boat though and more so for the boat than it's current location, then fine spend the money and happily accept the losses.But I would at the very minimum want a 5 year guarantee of a mooring.

Thanks for the advice. Everyone seems to agree that it's vastly overpriced. It's good to know.

the craft id number on the RCD is CBB05100

Thanks for all this help!

I would check if the Declaration is a Annex IIIa for a part-build boat intended for completion by others

or if it is an Annex XV in which case that number is not a Craft Identity Number in the sense of the Recreational Craft Regulations

A more complete and full explanation of why it is important that you aware of the potential implications of this matter are available on the Hampshire Trading Standards website http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingstandards/tradingstandards-boats.htm

It looks more like a Collingwood Boats hull production number, but I am not an expert and you need better advice than mine.

We always promote the ides of having a pre-purchase survey, unless the purchaser is fully confident in their own knowledge and understanding of boats, their systems and construction.

I hope this helps