Can you have a herb/tomotao garden on your boat

DeanS

Featured Posts

Oh thanks for the ideas - we are moving onto our boat mid-August and I have herbs and tomatoes already potted - as well as flowers - I now know what to use the bread crates my daughter got me for - also, you can line them with newspaper an keep that damp so as to keep the plantpots moist - we'll be around the Manchester area as well - currently live near the Navigation Hotel & Old Packet House currently

Inspired by 'doodlebug' I made some top boxes from recently replaced decking at the marina, Im quite proud of them. (sorry I didn't buy yours doodle!) I'll use them as planters in the summer and log stores in the winter. I recently bought some dark maroon waterproof material to make covers.

as planters just now...

topbox4.jpg

topbox9.jpg

the monster 6' x 4' one at the end I thought would be way too big but I was amazed at how small it seemed once on the roof...

topbox1.jpg

topbox.jpg

• 1 month later...

Excellent! :D I have filled all of my available roof space and have worked out how to navigate safely the twice I have moved the boat since it all went mad this month, with ruthless pruning, looking down the sides and standing on a box.

My tomatoes and strawberries have really sprung to life this last ten days, no fruit yet but getting there!

Also, I am impressed at how you can go away on a Friday leaving a plant with just pretty, exotic looking flowers on it and come back on the Monday to ready to pick courgettes.

I showed these pictures to my better half earlier, we should be moving onto a boat in a few months assuming we can find something to put in the mooring we now have.... It cheered her up massively - thanks. Before I dragged her to London she was a gardener on a country estate but got out of the game when she moved here. Unsurprisingly she has been missing the mud massively!

Anyone gone as far as a cratch-conservatory / cratch-greenhouse? I'm sure I did see a NB once in Cambridge with what looked like a greenhouse in the middle but it must have been my imagination?

ohmy.png why aren't my tomatoes ready yet then? They're appearing, but are green at the mo!

Patience glasshopper. The journey to ripeness has many paths...

PiR speaks the truth ....

I started my seeds quite early ... and didn't put them outside till quite late, as it was so cold for so long .....

and blatantly I am just better at growing tomatoes than you tongue.pngbiggrin.png

the bees and butterflies and many other flying tings have been swarming over my plants .... which is nice smile.png

DSCN3436_zps427860d6.jpg

but I suspect my nasty-sturshums are about to be decimated by cabbage white caterpillars huh.png

DSCN3545_zps4c53573f.jpg

I just love this thread! I grew so many tomatoes, among other things, last year (80 plants from seed) all different varieties and we lost the lot to blight frusty.gif . I didn't bother this year as we've been so busy trying to get the house ready for sale and I couldn't bring myself to put all that effort in to lose them again BUT....this thread just makes me even more excited for getting the boat and growing things next year!

Well done for all your beautiful crops.....enjoy! biggrin.png

and blatantly I am just better at growing tomatoes than you tongue.pngbiggrin.png

the bees and butterflies and many other flying tings have been swarming over my plants .... which is nice smile.png

Yeah... Well... My tomatoes will be WELL nicer than yours when they finally turn red!

I regret planting the nasturtiums...There are now green caterpillars on them,and they've eaten or had a good go at all but two courgettes. Man them little green shitbags can EAT!!

Edited by Starcoaster

• 2 weeks later...