Trouble starting BMC 1.5

CGP

Featured Posts

I have always struggled to start my 1.5 BMC on anything other than a hot sunny day.

However it seems to be getting worse.

Glow plugs seem to be OK, oil and fuel filters have been checked/replaced, the battery is brand new and charged.

What else am I missing?

Once it does start it runs fine all day and will restart when hot no trouble at all.

I have always struggled to start my 1.5 BMC on anything other than a hot sunny day.

Glow plugs seem to be OK, oil and fuel filters have been checked/replaced, the battery is brand new and charged.

What else am I missing?

Once it does start it runs fine all day and will restart when hot no trouble at all.

With our BMC 1500, we have to glow the plugs for about 45- 60 seconds before it will fire up. Depending on the temp.

They really are a bas***d to get going sometimes, but once running they go forever.

With our BMC 1500, we have to glow the plugs for about 45- 60 seconds before it will fire up. Depending on the temp.

They really are a bas***d to get going sometimes, but once running they go forever.

Take the glow plugs out and clean them and the hole into the combustion chamber- I think you use a 15/64 drill twiddled gently with the fingers but a search of Tony Brooks posts on the subject of BMC 1.5 glow plugs will reveal all (or he may even be along soon).

N

What else am I missing?

As the problem is getting gradually and progressively worse over an extended period of time it is unlikely to be heater plugs, I'd suggest. More likely to be less-than-brilliant compression, and the engine wearing out.

But I am not an expert on BMCs.

MtB

At the risk of starting a whole new topic on smoke I would just ask does it make white smoke when it starts? I am thinking that the timing may be a little retarded.

The basics should be checked and verified first though as there are multiple reasons for white smoking (on start up and during running)

Roger

So when you say the glow plugs seem to be okay, have you actually removed and checked them?

I have read the tip given above ref difficult to start motors and cleaning the glow plug holes made a world of difference.

One bloke was eating a set of plugs a year, then the tip was posted he tried it and replied its never started so well in all the years he had owned it and was right chuffed.

Lynall

So when you say the glow plugs seem to be okay, have you actually removed and checked them?

I have read the tip given above ref difficult to start motors and cleaning the glow plug holes made a world of difference.

One bloke was eating a set of plugs a year, then the tip was posted he tried it and replied its never started so well in all the years he had owned it and was right chuffed.

Lynall

Yes, 'seeming' ok doesn't really cut it when fault tracing. They need to be tested and proven to be 'ok'.

One could say that an engine with glow plugs that seem ok, will seem to start...

I have a confession which may be relevant here. When I first got my boat, I was told I needed to pre-heat the plugs when starting. I spent 6 months turning the key one click, leaving it 30 seconds then trying (and struggling) to start the engine (especially when it was cold). This of course did nothing to help starting! Then one day the penny dropped that I needed to turn the key a bit further and hold it there to pre-heat the plugs. Now my BMC 1.8 starts almost instantly, whatever the weather.

I'm sure people as dopey as me are few and far between, but it's possible that I'm not the only one who has trouble working out how to preheat the plugs. :blush: