Denver - Salters Lode

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

Excellent, will be trying to get a 72' by 3' draught boat through in a month or so, so that's good news!

We visited Salters today, I have never seen the channel so deep. They are using a bulldozer boat to drag the silt from the lock mouth out to the edge of the river

MYv1Klx.jpg

The bulldozer boat pulls its self to the arm of the digger by a cable. Once there is a good pile of silt the digger then lifts it out onto the bank.

BQ9A75f.jpg

They then intend to level it at about 3 feet high and then seed it.

Down at Denver they have started carting the spoil away from the last dredging operation in readiness for the chap to move down from Salters.

hyN5Oxe.jpg

There is a lot of stuff to move but I understand that once they have a channel though the silt they will open the lock.

8tOyAWz.jpg

There is a good channel along the front of the sluices but not enough room to turn into the lock.

3D9XU5N.jpg

Looking from Denver to Salters you can see where the digger arm is to drag the bulldozer boat out to. You can also see the hieght of the spoil heap.

TOzLVYk.jpg

We visited Salters today, I have never seen the channel so deep. They are using a bulldozer boat to drag the silt from the lock mouth out to the edge of the river

Thanks for posting that nice set of piccies. I have a soft spot for the Fenland waterways and like to see updates. Presumably EA are payimg for all the work?

Thanks for posting that nice set of piccies. I have a soft spot for the Fenland waterways and like to see updates. Presumably EA are payimg for all the work?

Yes and Denver is getting a new full time lock keeper to replace Mike who retired this year.

MYv1Klx.jpg

The bulldozer boat pulls its self to the arm of the digger by a cable. Once there is a good pile of silt the digger then lifts it out onto the bank.

BQ9A75f.jpg

They then intend to level it at about 3 feet high and then seed it.

Down at Denver they have started carting the spoil away from the last dredging operation in readiness for the chap to move down from Salters.

hyN5Oxe.jpg

There is a lot of stuff to move but I understand that once they have a channel though the silt they will open the lock.

8tOyAWz.jpg

There is a good channel along the front of the sluices but not enough room to turn into the lock.

3D9XU5N.jpg

Looking from Denver to Salters you can see where the digger arm is to drag the bulldozer boat out to. You can also see the hieght of the spoil heap.

TOzLVYk.jpg

Great photos, it will be great to escape the Ouse, since we've been stuck here since September last year! But you know about that Ditchcrawler

Great photos, it will be great to escape the Ouse, since we've been stuck here since September last year! But you know about that Ditchcrawler

I would suggest you go as soon as you can get out of Denver while the water at Salters is still deep.

Yes and Denver is getting a new full time lock keeper to replace Mike who retired this year.

Yes, I remember Mike Fairweather...used to go on about "sewer tubes"! :o

Remember me and John Chapman to Paul next time you see him, we could be back next year!

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a matter of interest (from someone who isn't likely to be up that way for a few years yet) when was the LAST time they dredged this bit properly; in other words how long has that bank taken to establish itself?

Just as a matter of interest (from someone who isn't likely to be up that way for a few years yet) when was the LAST time they dredged this bit properly; in other words how long has that bank taken to establish itself?

It was done last year, and the year before that.

One good flood is enough to build the bank, and we've had more than one this year.

At least the high flows have moved a reasonable amount of silt down the New Bedford and hopefully out into the wash. Due to the silt, the average levels at Wellmore lake sluice have been going up, making draining the Ouse washes in the summer harder.

MP.

Must have been about September 2012, its in my blog

Edit

I have just checked my Blog and it was clear in November when we went through.

Edited by ditchcrawler

Went from Denver complex to Upwell via Salters Lode today (23 March) in company with Matilda Rose. Both boats are 66ft and today was the only chance of level water for the next few weeks. The dredging has not finished yet, so there is still only a narrow channel outside Denver lock (we both felt our boats touch bottom as it was low tide).

The passage was only made possible with the help and advice given by the respective lock keepers and they have our grateful thanks.

Well Creek dredged next?

Well creek dredge? It was a close call for it being filled in in the 60's!

Much work by Mr Lincoln and Mr Doubleday prevented that, just think, if it had happened, the only inland route would have been via welches dam, which is now shut......

Went from Denver complex to Upwell via Salters Lode today (23 March) in company with Matilda Rose. Both boats are 66ft and today was the only chance of level water for the next few weeks. The dredging has not finished yet, so there is still only a narrow channel outside Denver lock (we both felt our boats touch bottom as it was low tide).

The passage was only made possible with the help and advice given by the respective lock keepers and they have our grateful thanks.

Well Creek dredged next?

That answers my question on another thread. Saw you moored at Upwell staithe about 5 p.m. You'll pass our house (see avatar) tomorrow!

That answers my question on another thread. Saw you moored at Upwell staithe about 5 p.m. You'll pass our house (see avatar) tomorrow!

Monday perhaps as it has not been particularly pleasant cruising weather since I left Brandon on Friday morning. Plus Grand Prix tomorrow.

Hi,

I'm currently moored at Oundle and looking to come through Denver from Salter's in the next couple of weeks (when the SSA is off and the lock work complete). It's my first time through and I'm single handed so would appreciate any updates on the sand bank. Is it only a problem at low tide? I'm in no hurry so happy to spend a day waiting for the tide.

Thanks

This week has seen the first boats passing our house from the Salter's direction - Matilda Rose and Yarwood, as noted in these pages a few days ago, and more recently Out Of Sight and another unidentified boat. So it looks as if they're getting through O.K.

This week has seen the first boats passing our house from the Salter's direction - Matilda Rose and Yarwood, as noted in these pages a few days ago, and more recently Out Of Sight and another unidentified boat. So it looks as if they're getting through O.K.

I crossed this morning followed by 3 Fox boats, Its a good deep channel and the tide was so high I had to wait about 45 minutes before Paul could fill the lock.

Don't worry being single handed, its not a problem, Diana just stands and chats to the Lock keepers. Paul will only let you out when the tide is right about 2 hours+ after high tide at Kings Lynn. I use this web site to get an idea of timings. http://www.portauthoritykingslynn.fsnet.co.uk/page4.html

If the tide is under 21 feet you may get out before high tide, otherwise its after. There is a good deep channel into Denver and its a wide lock, I just normally float about in there while the level drops.

I crossed this morning followed by 3 Fox boats, Its a good deep channel and the tide was so high I had to wait about 45 minutes before Paul could fill the lock.

Don't worry being single handed, its not a problem, Diana just stands and chats to the Lock keepers. Paul will only let you out when the tide is right about 2 hours+ after high tide at Kings Lynn. I use this web site to get an idea of timings. http://www.portauthoritykingslynn.fsnet.co.uk/page4.html

If the tide is under 21 feet you may get out before high tide, otherwise its after. There is a good deep channel into Denver and its a wide lock, I just normally float about in there while the level drops.

Correction, I waited an hour and a quarter for the level to drop enough to get out, photos in the blog, if you don't like blogs don't look http://nbharnser.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/saturday-30-march-2013.html