boat electrician needed

Featured Posts

Hi,

We are based in London and in need of a reliable boat electrician, to earth our boat or boiler so that the boiler will work.

Cant find anyone currently to do, what seems like a straight forward job, can anyone help?

Something seems a bit odd here - are you talking mains via a shoreline, generator, or an inverter or is this a 12/24 volt "boiler"?

By and large most mains stuff will work without an earth even though it may be highly dangerous in the even to a fault. Much modern stuff is double insulated and does not use an earth.

If its 12/24 volts then the "earth" will in fact be a negative and as boats should use insulated return no true "earth" or ground connection is required.

If you want any actual help I think we need much more information like what do you mean by "earth", is it mains or DC, what make and model of boiler, how is it being powered if it is mains and so on?

Hi Tony,

Thanks for responding.

The boiler is a 100w remaha avanta domestic combi boiler.

We are not attached to mains and have a large inverter charger to run 12v/24v it off.

The boiler has been fitted, but when it is turned on it says there is no earth and shuts down.

The boiler fitter says the boat needs earthing, but a boat is earthed as far as I know, i think its that the boiler needs earthing because it is running of an isolated power supply i.e a battery.

any thoughts?

Thanks Ed

Hi Tony,

Thanks for responding.

The boiler is a 100w remaha avanta domestic combi boiler.

We are not attached to mains and have a large inverter charger to run 12v/24v it off.

The boiler has been fitted, but when it is turned on it says there is no earth and shuts down.

The boiler fitter says the boat needs earthing, but a boat is earthed as far as I know, i think its that the boiler needs earthing because it is running of an isolated power supply i.e a battery.

any thoughts?

Thanks Ed

Your inverter / charger needs to be Earth Neutral bonded

Not all inverters / chargers can be bonded

I am based in the Midlands unable to think of any one local

Keith

Edited by Keith M

Hi,

We are based in London and in need of a reliable boat electrician, to earth our boat or boiler so that the boiler will work.

Cant find anyone currently to do, what seems like a straight forward job, can anyone help?

What make inverter, and where are you in London?

Hi,

mastervolt 12/2500-100 mass combi and we are in angel.

There is an earth lug on that, it should be earthed? Did you install the combi?

The boiler fitter should not have walked off without the boiler working.

Edited by jenlyn

There is an earth lug on that, it should be earthed? Did you install the combi?

The boiler fitter should not have walked off without the boiler working.

I didn't install the inverter somebody from springfield marina did, and i agree the boiler fitter shouldn't have walked off.

we have had lots of well intentioned people look at this, but nobody who seems to know what there doing. The boiler guy left it to us to find an electrician and we have not been able to since November.

I didn't install the inverter somebody from springfield marina did, and i agree the boiler fitter shouldn't have walked off.

we have had lots of well intentioned people look at this, but nobody who seems to know what there doing. The boiler guy left it to us to find an electrician and we have not been able to since November.

You need to make sure the inverter is earthed. See if you can check that.

From Mastervolt Combi manual

Ground relay

The ground relay function allows you to connect the Neutral conductor (N) of the inverter output circuit to the Safety Ground

(PE / GND) automatically when the Mass Combi is working as an inverter. With most electrical installations in the USA this

ground relay must be set to ON. Refer to local regulations on this issue.

If you want… DIP switch A

SW8

no internal connection between the Neutral (N) and the Safety Ground (PE / GND) when the Mass Combi

is working as an inverter

OFF

the Neutral wire (N) of the inverter output circuit connected to the Safety Ground (PE / GND) when the

Mass Combi is working as an inverter and disconnected when incoming AC-power is applied (charger /

transfer mode).

ON

So dip switch A number 8 should be on.

Ian

Edited by Tommo

From Mastervolt Combi manual

Ground relay

The ground relay function allows you to connect the Neutral conductor (N) of the inverter output circuit to the Safety Ground

(PE / GND) automatically when the Mass Combi is working as an inverter. With most electrical installations in the USA this

ground relay must be set to ON. Refer to local regulations on this issue.

If you want… DIP switch A

SW8

no internal connection between the Neutral (N) and the Safety Ground (PE / GND) when the Mass Combi

is working as an inverter

OFF

the Neutral wire (N) of the inverter output circuit connected to the Safety Ground (PE / GND) when the

Mass Combi is working as an inverter and disconnected when incoming AC-power is applied (charger /

transfer mode).

Ian

Yes, it should be just a question of setting that DIP switch correctly. If it is already set correctly, there is an issue with the inverter installation.

This is more for our domestic electrician/CH engineer members that the OP at this stage.

Is there any chance the boiler is checking the earth bonding on the gas supply or water pipes and has not found it - as I would expect on 12V boat?

Not exactly local to N1 (my workshop is in South Dock Marina SE16) It does sound like you have a fairly simple issue here, I have come across it and similar faults before caused by the galvanic isolator on boats with shore power, I do appreciate that yours is inverter powered but the issues are similar in that equipment internal sensors can not find a path to ground so you need to (safely) establish one.

Edited by NMEA