"Badsey" and "Angel" Paired

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

As I have just seen the announcement of the pairing of a couple of nice looking Big Woolwich boats, I wonder if the forum could be treated to a photo?

There are a couple of pairings of "Big Woolwich" boats that are quite derelict, and obviously also a pairing like "Chertsey" & "Bakewell" where one is converted, but I can't think of many unconverted pairings. In fact only "Greenock" & "Bordesley" at the moment, though I may be having a memory lapse?

Anyway, lucky you, Mr CanalChef - well done!

(Some will know that "Angel" is special to me, because it once belonged to my late brother, Pete.)

Thankyou Alan

Hope I remembered how to post a pic.

Lesley took this one as we got to Hillmorton. (I'd mention the balance beam "art" but have promised Lesley not to attract further wrath of CRT Directors...........

More pics come when it stops raining.

angel013.jpg

what a great picture of the pair, look grand in the locks

Thankyou.

This was my first ever attempt at butty towing and Having bought ANGEL from Sheena Bourn, she kindly agreed (with mixed feelings, I am sure) to steer ANGEL. I am proud to say that we arrived at Hillmorton yesterday from Braunston without any incident although Sheena did say I was a bit slow. I found that not being close coupled rather than on a long line, every time I wound up the revs on BADSEYs original National engine, the prop seemed to push the bows of ANGEL backward rather than pull it foward faster. Although when I reversed at the end of the trip for the first lock, I did see piece of black plastic fly off the prop which probably didn't help.

Any expertise on butty towing techniques will be gratefully received.

Thankyou.

This was my first ever attempt at butty towing and Having bought ANGEL from Sheena Bourn, she kindly agreed (with mixed feelings, I am sure) to steer ANGEL. I am proud to say that we arrived at Hillmorton yesterday from Braunston without any incident although Sheena did say I was a bit slow. I found that not being close coupled rather than on a long line, every time I wound up the revs on BADSEYs original National engine, the prop seemed to push the bows of ANGEL backward rather than pull it foward faster. Although when I reversed at the end of the trip for the first lock, I did see piece of black plastic fly off the prop which probably didn't help.

Any expertise on butty towing techniques will be gratefully received.

Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs, but there's a reasonable amount of stuff about working a pair in Chris Deuchar's 'boaters guide to boating'.

What about edgware & Balham Berkhamstead & Bainton Ascot & Beverley. But as its been a long time since I've been up the canal I'm not sure really.

Darren

Edgware and Balham have stood derelict ever since I came back to the cut, and not far away Bainton and Ayr/(aka Berkampstead) don't look a lot better. I acknowledged these pairs, but didn't name and shame them.

Like Chertsey and Bakewell, Ascot and Beverley is a case of unconverted motor with a butty with a cabin conversion. There is also Banstead, I think now paired with Bodmin, but again the butty is converted, albeit in an "under cloth" kind of shape.

The only other existing pairing of unconverted Big Woolwiches I can think of is the one I mentioned, namely Greenlaw & Bordesley.

All the pairs I have mentioned except Chertsey & Bakewell are on the Southern GU, I think.

I'm happy to be corrected if any of that is not current information.

What about Virginis and coleshill are they still in the same field together??

Darren

No Coleshill at least was sold and moved, but I'm not sure where. I may have heard somewhere like Sawley, but not sure. That of course was not a "Big Woolwich" pairing. Virginis I believe was moved, but still in the Foxton area - there was a thread about this, with pictures).

There are several pairings of Big Northwich motors with Big Woolwich butties, (of course there never were Large Northwich butties, all the Northwich boats were originally paired with "Big Ricky" wooden butties. Clearly the Narrow Boat Trust's pair is one, and Towcester and Bideford another obvious example.I can't immediately think of any more, but haven't looked at the list.

There were only ever 24 steel Town class butties, (all Woolwich boats), compared to I think 76 steel Town class motors(48 Woolwich, 38 Northwich), and not all those butties have survived, (including most people believe Berkhampstead, despite one still carrying that name). There are some barely hanging on, such as Belmont.

Thankyou Alan

Hope I remembered how to post a pic.

Lesley took this one as we got to Hillmorton. (I'd mention the balance beam "art" but have promised Lesley not to attract further wrath of CRT Directors...........

More pics come when it stops raining.

angel013.jpg

FWIW i think you made the right choice, they will look great together, good luck.

Paul

Sheena did say I was a bit slow. I found that not being close coupled rather than on a long line, every time I wound up the revs on BADSEYs original National engine, the prop seemed to push the bows of ANGEL backward rather than pull it foward faster. Although when I reversed at the end of the trip for the first lock, I did see piece of black plastic fly off the prop which probably didn't help.

Is there a typo there - you've got two negatives? Were you on cross straps, or perhaps a snatcher? You'd normally be on cross straps of course, but you'd not really need a steerer then.