Smartbank Advanced problem

trackman

Featured Posts

Anyone have any ideas why my Smartgauge fails to correctly recognise the new Smartbank Advanced that I've just added to my charging circuit? It insists it's a Smartbank Standard, which means I can't use it as I need to.

I'm intending to recheck all my wiring etc tomorrow, but am pretty sure it's all correct.

I've sent Gibbo a PM but had no reply after a couple of days.

Anyone have any ideas why my Smartgauge fails to correctly recognise the new Smartbank Advanced that I've just added to my charging circuit? It insists it's a Smartbank Standard, which means I can't use it as I need to.

I'm intending to recheck all my wiring etc tomorrow, but am pretty sure it's all correct.

Have you modified your Smartgauge?

Modification of Smartgauge standard to advanced.

Have you modified your Smartgauge?

Modification of Smartgauge standard to advanced.

That is for modifying a Standard Smartbank unit to a Smartbank advanced unit. I think he is saying he has bought a Smartbank advanced in the first place. Unless of course he has been sold the wrong thing.

That is for modifying a Standard Smartbank unit to a Smartbank advanced unit. I think he is saying he has bought a Smartbank advanced in the first place. Unless of course he has been sold the wrong thing.

Back in the old days, my early Smartbank came unconverted...but as you say it looks like they only do the advanced now. Probably work checking they have done the mod. ISTR hearing in another place that someone had a problem fitting a new Smartbank Advenced to an early Smartgauge?

I had a problem with mine when I first installed it. Turned out to be a faulty cable between the smartgauge and smartbank. Kindly sorted by Gibbo.

You could get a new cable and try that just in case it's a similar problem.

Once working its a great bit of kit.

Rik

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. I find it hard to believe that the supplier I used has sent me the wrong bit of kit, and indeed, it is clearly marked to show that it is a Smartbank Advanced. I'm going to compare the circuit inside with the diagram on the website instructions for modifying a Standard to Advanced (just to be sure that the right circuit board is in the box!).I've rechecked all my wiring today and it all appears fine, so do not believe that the problem lies there.I wonder if there's a problem with the connecting cable, like Rik had, and may try sourcing another and swapping it.In the continued absence of Gibbo, any other suggestions would be welcomed from anyone with knowledge of this subject. If all else fails it looks as if I'll have to ask the supplier to send a replacement unit, if they are willing to do so!

I'd assumed that Mr Gibson had flounced off again after a mod made a very funny edit to one of his posts. I was never his greatest fan, but he did always seem helpfull to those that asked so I'm surprised that he didn't respond to a PM

hope nothing's happened to him!

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. I find it hard to believe that the supplier I used has sent me the wrong bit of kit, and indeed, it is clearly marked to show that it is a Smartbank Advanced. I'm going to compare the circuit inside with the diagram on the website instructions for modifying a Standard to Advanced (just to be sure that the right circuit board is in the box!).I've rechecked all my wiring today and it all appears fine, so do not believe that the problem lies there.I wonder if there's a problem with the connecting cable, like Rik had, and may try sourcing another and swapping it.In the continued absence of Gibbo, any other suggestions would be welcomed from anyone with knowledge of this subject. If all else fails it looks as if I'll have to ask the supplier to send a replacement unit, if they are willing to do so!

Did you contact the supplier with the issue too? What did they say? Offer to repair/replace/refund?

I'd assumed that Mr Gibson had flounced off again after a mod made a very funny edit to one of his posts. I was never his greatest fan, but he did always seem helpfull to those that asked so I'm surprised that he didn't respond to a PM

hope nothing's happened to him!

Yes, I am worried....I thought the travelpower thread would have tempted him back!

Paul C, I have contacted the suppliers and am awaiting a response. Not sure how much help I'll get as they are a chandlery, and may not have a deal of technical knowledge about this sort of kit. Time will tell!

If you've contacted Merlin then they can help. Gibbo, who designed and developed the Smartguage / Smartbank system now works for them. They bought out his company a few years ago.

Rik

I had a problem with mine when I first installed it. Turned out to be a faulty cable between the smartgauge and smartbank. Kindly sorted by Gibbo.

You could get a new cable and try that just in case it's a similar problem.

Once working its a great bit of kit.

Rik

I suspect that might be the answer. A different cable may be worth trying as long as it is the right type i.e. a crossed wired RJ11 cable (most common type) of either 4 or 6 core connections.

I suspect that might be the answer. A different cable may be worth trying as long as it is the right type i.e. a crossed wired RJ11 cable (most common type) of either 4 or 6 core connections.

I know nothing about smartbank to smart gauge, but would suggest that the most common RJ11 cable is 'straight through' pin 1-pin 1 etc as used by millions of broadband routers. if the smart widget things need a crossed cable of some sort to work then that might be the problem, wrong cable supplied.

Easiest thing is to hold up both ends and see if the colours of the conductors are in the same order in each connector and then compare that with a known working cable.

the number of cores 4way or 6 way may be important too.

Yes, I am worried....I thought the travelpower thread would have tempted him back!

I doubt it,after answers given that looked more like Einstein's Theory of Everything he will probably stay away. :rolleyes:

Edited by bowten

I know nothing about smartbank to smart gauge, but would suggest that the most common RJ11 cable is 'straight through' pin 1-pin 1 etc as used by millions of broadband routers. if the smart widget things need a crossed cable of some sort to work then that might be the problem, wrong cable supplied.

Easiest thing is to hold up both ends and see if the colours of the conductors are in the same order in each connector and then compare that with a known working cable.

the number of cores 4way or 6 way may be important too.

The Smartbank does need a cross-wired RJ11 cable and 4 or 6 core cable is not important as the smartbank only uses the inner 4 connections ie 2-5 so as long as the 4 core RJ11 cable is wired normally it will be OK. On a 6 core it will be OK to as it just won't use teh outside connections.

If you read the Smartgauge manual you will see this is correct.

Thanks again everyone. Last night I picked up an email from MES Ltd, presumably as a result of the chandlery passing my query to them. I think MES is the company behind the Merlin name.

Anyway, they are on the case now. I've replied to a couple of questions they asked, & await their response. I will let you know what happens, but feel a lot more hopeful now.

Edited by trackman

An update:An update: after some exchanges of emails and calls between me, the supplier of the Smartbank and Merlin ( and some delays largely caused by my own absences from my boat), I was pleasantly surprised to receive today a package from a courier company sent by Merlin Equipment Ltd.

The contents were a brand new Smartgauge in one box and a brand new Smartbank Advanced kit (Smartbank, relay and comms cable) in another! I now need to get back to the boat (I've been child minding today, just as well as nobody would have been in to receive the package if not). Once there I intend to start trying replacing one bit of kit at a time until the system works properly. I'll be starting by replacing the RJ11 cable and hoping it's just a fault in the original one of those. If not then I'll have to try the Smartbank and then the Smartgauge.

My congrats to Merlin and the firm from whom I bought the Smartbank, Cactus Navigation. Their response to the problem has been great. On the basis of their attitude so far I would recommend both companies highly!

I'll post on here when I see what happens and get the problem sorted, meanwhile, fingers crossed that it's easy to resolve with the new bits available! :)

An update:An update: after some exchanges of emails and calls between me, the supplier of the Smartbank and Merlin ( and some delays largely caused by my own absences from my boat), I was pleasantly surprised to receive today a package from a courier company sent by Merlin Equipment Ltd.

The contents were a brand new Smartgauge in one box and a brand new Smartbank Advanced kit (Smartbank, relay and comms cable) in another! I now need to get back to the boat (I've been child minding today, just as well as nobody would have been in to receive the package if not). Once there I intend to start trying replacing one bit of kit at a time until the system works properly. I'll be starting by replacing the RJ11 cable and hoping it's just a fault in the original one of those. If not then I'll have to try the Smartbank and then the Smartgauge.

My congrats to Merlin and the firm from whom I bought the Smartbank, Cactus Navigation. Their response to the problem has been great. On the basis of their attitude so far I would recommend both companies highly!

I'll post on here when I see what happens and get the problem sorted, meanwhile, fingers crossed that it's easy to resolve with the new bits available! :)

Good luck in tracking it down before you have to replace it all. Good to hear you have had good service so far from Merlin.

Your choice but personally as all new kit has arrived bite the bullet and change the lot.

Merlin might even like the old kit back to run some tests.

Another thought if one piece is defunct, it may well affect the new piece(s) and cause even more problems.

Your choice but personally as all new kit has arrived bite the bullet and change the lot.

Merlin might even like the old kit back to run some tests.

Another thought if one piece is defunct, it may well affect the new piece(s) and cause even more problems.

Good answer and put a thankyou note in with it for Gibbo. :cheers:

Thanks all for the thoughts. Going to have a go at sorting it tomorrow. I think I may well do as bottle suggested and change it all!

Bottle's suggestion to rewew the lot is a good idea...I can't believe Merlin sent you the whole kit for no good reason. How old is your original Smartgauge?

Hurrah! System now appears to be working!

After a number of phone calls and a lot of time in my engine room we concluded it was a problem with the RJ11 comms cable.

Merlin sent me a replacement overnight and today I've fitted the new Smartgauge, Smartbank and cable. After some debate on my part about which battery bank to connect the alternator onto and some tinkering with settings in the Smart gadgets we have the technology!

I've ended up with alternator and solar panel connected to the domestic bank. If they go to the starter it can get to the point where the voltage on that bank gets excessive before the domestics are charged fully. The Smartgauge then opens the relay to try to protect the starter battery. This makes things worse, of course! With the engine running the Beta alternator controller sees a low voltage on the domestic bank and pushes the alternator harder. As this isn't connected to the domestic batteries any more, all that happens is that the starter battery sees an even higher voltage! Not good.

With the charge going to the domestics, the starter gets isolated correctly when it's up to voltage & the domestics continue charging.

My grateful thanks to MES Ltd, Merlin and, presumably, Gibbo for generous assistance in sorting this out. Great to have it all working.