Landline Socket

matty40s

Featured Posts

Here is another type...

My link

Actually that looks better. I presume the blue bit pivots and goes flush when the lid is down, but even so, with the cable exiting at an angle, the protrusion will be less when pluggged in making the door able to be opened further. Unfortunately for me it looks like a larger cutout and so not a direct replacement for the one we have.

Actually that looks better. I presume the blue bit pivots and goes flush when the lid is down, but even so, with the cable exiting at an angle, the protrusion will be less when pluggged in making the door able to be opened further. Unfortunately for me it looks like a larger cutout and so not a direct replacement for the one we have.

Yes it does - we have had one like that on a caravan we once had too.

We also had one with a flush sliding cover rather than hinged but I can't locate one at the mo.

I think the hinged type with those little side panels are more common (and better) IMHO as they provide a degree of protection from the elements when the cable is plugged in.

Edited by The Dog House

We now need a plan B!!

Got to the boat and it's a Victron Phoenix Inverter (not Multiplus)only so theres no external AC input connection available.

This complicates matters!!

Well you could go posh with an auto-changeover (shore power priority) such as the Mastervolt one, or just fit a break before make double pole changeover switch. Does the inverter currently feed through an RCD/MCB?

If we are bored, we could now have a long debate about whether to fit a GI, an IT or nothing!

Edited by nicknorman

Well you could go posh with an auto-changeover (shore power priority) such as the Mastervolt one, or just fit a break before make double pole changeover switch. Does the inverter currently feed through an RCD/MCB?

If we are bored, we could now have a long debate about whether to fit a GI, an IT or nothing!

yes, inverter feeds direct to the MCB board, and then to the 240V circuit.

Problem is on a saturday is where I get the right kind of switch...

also means that the owner is going to have to get a battery charger as well.

Edited by matty40s

yes, inverter feeds direct to the MCB board, and then to the 240V circuit.

Problem is on a saturday is where I get the right kind of switch...

also means that the owner is going to have to get a battery charger as well.

Depends where you are. Midland Chandlers do a Sterling one.

Why mess with a changeover switch?

A simple 230v coil dt16a relay in the consumer unit.

Landline connected, relay on , disconnected relay off .

Needs to be a 3pole, if you get a 4 pole itcan be used to switch the inverter on and off as well.

Something like this

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latching-relays/2452481/

Edited by idleness

Why mess with a changeover switch?

A simple 230v coil dt16a relay in the consumer unit.

Landline connected, relay on , disconnected relay off .

Needs to be a 3pole, if you get a 4 pole itcan be used to switch the inverter on and off as well.

Something like this

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/non-latching-relays/2452481/

You could do, only disadvantage is probable relay chatter as you plug in or unplug the cable. That's why the proper automatic switches include a time delay. If you plug it in clumsily and the relay chatters, you would be chopping between 2 supplies of different voltage, frequency and phase. Some things might not like that.

You could do, only disadvantage is probable relay chatter as you plug in or unplug the cable. That's why the proper automatic switches include a time delay. If you plug it in clumsily and the relay chatters, you would be chopping between 2 supplies of different voltage, frequency and phase. Some things might not like that.

Never been a problem in 10 years of use.

But then I dont plug a live cable in, as is good practice connect cable then energise the circuit.

Never been a problem in 10 years of use.

But then I dont plug a live cable in, as is good practice connect cable then energise the circuit.

I agree if that's possible, but at our marina the socket is always live and you just have to plug in with it live. I do at least connect it to the boat first and the bollard second, disconnect in the reverse order!