Name These Boats

IanM

Featured Posts

They are the ones near Rothens at Mancetter, aren't they? River class formerly buries, buy I. cant remember which.

They have been named in a previous thread I'm sure. When not using smartphone I'll try a search.

Butties!

Thanks Alan.

They are the ones near Mancetter. I have had a quick search of the forum but can't find anything yet.

Yes, I was on a phone earlier, so don't get to see the bit where you had already said River Class.

When I first encountered these, one looked so straight and undented to me, I struggled to believe it was an actual 1960s "River Class" boat, and thought it might be a (good) modern replica, (though was at a loss to see why anyone would bother!....)

Here is a reply I got from Pete Harrison at the time, that says both are original butties......

I think they are both relatively old, one being AYE and the other being WEY - and both being the fore end 55' or so of 'River Class' blue top butty's. Both of these boats were completed by E. C. Jones, Brentford in 1961 for the southern carrying fleet of 'British Waterways' to replace aging Large Ricky buttys..

My (educated ?) guess is the green one is AYE and the grey one is WEY.

Thanks for that :)

There was what looked like a licence number welded onto the inside of the green one which I wrote down. I think I can remember what I wrote it on so will have a good look when I'm home.

Thanks for that :)

There was what looked like a licence number welded onto the inside of the green one which I wrote down. I think I can remember what I wrote it on so will have a good look when I'm home.

Well it might identify for certain which is which?

Pete said he was guessing they were the way round he said, but didn't give it as a definite.

EDITE TO ADD:

Possibly these two - both shown as "unpowered"?

AYE - Length 21.64 metres (71 feet ) - Beam 2.13 metres (7 feet ) - Draft 0.91 metres (3 feet ) Metal hull, . Registered with British Waterways number 511686 as a Unpowered. Last registration recorded on 20-Apr-2012.

WEY - Length 21.64 metres (71 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, . Registered with British Waterways number 514922 as a Unpowered. Last registration recorded on 20-Apr-2012.

Edited by alan_fincher

Passed these back in October on the Coventry Canal. I did write down the number of one of them but lost the piece of paper. Can anyone shed light on which boats these are? :)

8344583791_251fd71525.jpg

DSC_9749 by imulford, on Flickr

8344583211_79b07d0ffb.jpg

DSC_9746 by imulford, on Flickr

The green boat is definitely Wey. Photos I have show it thus in September 2010, whereas about 2-3 months earlier, another photo shows it in grey primer.

I believe that the other boat is Aye, but I'll do a bit more research into photos.

Peter

Edited by Hastings

• 7 months later...

I was quite surprised today after seeing both these boats apparently just lying dormant at Mancetter for some time, to encounter the green one in very active use at Glascote.

It now looks very well turned out, albeit in just a work-like way, and sounds very good. I didn't spot what engine, but maybe a twin-pot air cooled Lister or Armstrong from the racket!

So this is "Wey" according to the above post.

CIMG0074_zps19ab655a.jpg

IMG_4259_zpsef51e517.jpg

The green boat was at Streethay having work done to it when we passed there the week before Braunston. It seemed to be having the grab fitted and having a paint. But still can't confirm the boat's name though.

Peter

There is another thread about a year old discussing these two boats IIRC, complete with photos.

Neither appeared to have an engine last time I went past judging from the height above the waterline of their uxter plates, nor do they seem to have in your photos, so the green one must have had an engine installed and been brought back into use since October last year.

I saw a bote with an aircooled Armstrong twin the other day and it was not noisy at all Alan, so this one's prolly a Lister!

MtB