GU Leicester Line Nr Debdale Wharf

frangar

Featured Posts

Just got this from Waterscape

GU Leicester line, Debdale Embankment slip

Thursday 27 December 2012 until further notice

Navigation is closed due to an earth slip on an embankment due to prolonged heavy rain saturating the soil.

Canal closed until further notice pending assessment of embankment and works to stabalise the earth structure

Enquiries: 0800 4799947

Not at boat at mo so not quite sure where they mean at debdale....will post any further details when I find out

Cheers

Gareth

There is a photo on Facebook

Any chance of a link?

I tried to get to the closure yesterday, but without the benefit of wellies the towpath mud defeated me.

It wasn't visible from bridge 67 or from Debdale Marina, but I managed a quick chat to a disgruntled boater coming back under bridge 65 from the direction of the slip .... he'd spent the last hour or so trying to wind as he wasn't aware of it until he saw the barrier closing the canal, having missed chances to wind at Debdale Wharf and the Marina entrance.

Edited by Kwacker

Answer came there none, so I walked up there this morning.

Approximate position of the slip.

Aerial+View.jpg

Closed at the remains of Bridge 66 (a bit late - means you have to reverse back around the corner to the Marina entrance)

IMG_0071.JPG

The embankment has slipped about 1 metre into the canal, but still very wet and further slippage looks possible.

IMG_0091.JPG

Edited by Kwacker

Thursday 27 December 2012 until further notice UPDATE (03 January 2013): Our initial investigations have identified the need for an engineering survey of the landslip to assess the landslip effect on the canal bed and walls plus the volume of material which has moved onto the canal bed. This survey will be completed over Monday 7th/Tuesday 8th January 2013.

We are moving a dredging boat to site and it is our intention that this will be available to begin work from Tuesday 8th January 2013.

As the landslip is within a SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest), we are seeking permission from Natural England to allow us to remove some reeds from the canal in the vicinity of the landslip to open up navigable width.

Subject to the results of the engineering survey and permission from Natural England, it will then be our intention to carry out limited dredging works in order to reopen the navigation. It is our aim to carry out works such that the canal can reopen to navigation from Monday 16th January 2013. We will update waterscape when we are able to confirm this opening date.

The works carried out over the next 2 weeks will secure a temporary solution sufficient only to reopen the navigation. More major works will be required in the future to fully restabilise the bank.

Is it just me or is it ridicules that CRT can't dredge a navigable channel until Natural England give them permission :wacko::blink::wacko: