Engine id

Featured Posts

Perkins Prima?

John

Based on previous threads we have had on here, and a bit of Googling, I would say "yes".

Not that common in narrowboats, IIRC, but I think possibly once used in Bellaire (spelling?) / Floating Homes boats.

Any chance that is what we are looking at here ?

Pinched from the web "Perkins Prima M60"

Engine.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi all

Does anyone know how I can ID the engine for sure? Where a likely engine number / serial might be found or any ideas on when I can improve on saying 'its either a perkins, Volvo, Austin or something similar' ! When servicing it and buying spares I am finding it very tough ATM.

Any experience or ideas would be great fully received!

Hi all

Does anyone know how I can ID the engine for sure? Where a likely engine number / serial might be found or any ideas on when I can improve on saying 'its either a perkins, Volvo, Austin or something similar' ! When servicing it and buying spares I am finding it very tough ATM.

Any experience or ideas would be great fully received!

In post 2 Alan showed you a photo that identified the engine as a Perkins Prima M60, Thats the base engine. Yours has been marinised by a different outfit or at a different time to the one shown by Alan.

As far as I know this engine was a collaboration between Austin Rover and Perkins in which they dieselfied the Montego petrol engine for use in the Maestro and Montego Diesels and I think Sherpa vans.

It was also used, I believe, as a base engine for certain Volvo marnisations so base engine parts like the oil, oil filter & gaskets and probably the fuel filter can be purchased for any of those makes and they should fit, as should the timing belt and tensioner etc. Other things like the marinisation parts may well vary as shown by the different heat exchanger and raw water pump position in the two photos.

I fear that yours may be marinised by a low volume producer so you may never find out the "make" of the marinised engine.

Perkins Prima parts:- http://www.asap-supplies.com/marine/perkins-prima

E J Bowman Ltd:- http://www.ejbowman.co.uk/

Phone up Bowman's on 0121 359 5401, quote the number (3401 3) and date (6 98) on the plate you provided a picture of. Hopefully they will still have a build record and be able to provide you with more information!

Edited by mattlad

Hi Tony. Thanks so much for your response, that really clarifies things for me. And Mattlad thanks for your links. Based on both your posts I have committed to ordering some spares and feel less worried about getting it wrong.

Thanks again

Sorry one last question. Do I need to identify the alternator in order to order a belt for it? Or can I order the standard Perkins prima alternator belt like this: http://www.parts4engines.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55&products_id=567&zenid=a6e781397d00d866097e00059221f0fc

Sorry one last question. Do I need to identify the alternator in order to order a belt for it? Or can I order the standard Perkins prima alternator belt like this: http://www.parts4engines.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55&products_id=567&zenid=a6e781397d00d866097e00059221f0fc

The alternator may well have been changed or its pulley changed during the marinisation or later so I would much rather you took the belt off and looked for the numbers on the outer face. These normally give the length and the width is fairly obvious. Definitely get a notched belt because smaller alternator pulleys are common in marine use and a notched belt is less prone to slipping on small pulleys.

Take it to a motor factors and they should supply an exact replacement without charging you postage etc. While you are there buy the filters and oil. With a bit of luck your filters will have a maker and part number printed on them and any decent factor will match them up with the make they supply.

If you mail order the filters etc. take a note of the make and numbers on the old and new ones so you can get over the counter replacements next time.