Lister SR2 Dipstick

Featured Posts

Still having trouble with my oil level in the Lister SR2. This is compounded by a reading problem - the dipstick appears to be nonstandard and the tube it inserts through has a serious bend in it. This has resulted in the dipstick itself bending and we are no longer sure that it is reading correctly as it curls at the end as it goes into the oil. It inserts through the crankcase, so should, I think, be marked with a number 17. I also have a vague memory that somewhere in one of the manuals it says that it should have three markings on it - mine has two.

Can anyone send me a pic of their dipstick (weird though such a request may seem) and of how it goes into the engine? Also a measurement of the length of the stick to the markings?

Still having trouble with my oil level in the Lister SR2. This is compounded by a reading problem - the dipstick appears to be nonstandard and the tube it inserts through has a serious bend in it. This has resulted in the dipstick itself bending and we are no longer sure that it is reading correctly as it curls at the end as it goes into the oil. It inserts through the crankcase, so should, I think, be marked with a number 17. I also have a vague memory that somewhere in one of the manuals it says that

it should have three markings on it - mine has two.

Can anyone send me a pic of their dipstick (weird though such a request may seem) and of how it goes into the engine? Also a measurement of the length of the stick to the markings?

This will get so out of hand... :lol: ooops, that is pun no. One. :o

Seriously though, I take it you have the long, thin (flat) dipstick, which inserts in a long tube, rather than directly into the cranckcase?

Still having trouble with my oil level in the Lister SR2. This is compounded by a reading problem - the dipstick appears to be nonstandard and the tube it inserts through has a serious bend in it. This has resulted in the dipstick itself bending and we are no longer sure that it is reading correctly as it curls at the end as it goes into the oil. It inserts through the crankcase, so should, I think, be marked with a number 17. I also have a vague memory that somewhere in one of the manuals it says that it should have three markings on it - mine has two.

Is the dip stick low down on the port side ''usually ex industrial engines'' or in a longish tube on the starboard side.Usual marine version.

You can make your own dipstick like so.

Drain the oil off completely. Fill with fresh oil 9 pints or thereabouts i can check the exact amount if needed. Get a length of steel rod, i've used 1/8''welding rod. You will need a stop on the rod so that it butts onto the tubes top, i used a small Meccano collar with grub screw in the side or a Meccano pulley would do. Slide this onto the rod and poke it down the tube. When it hits bottom pull it up about 1/2'' and tighten the collars grub screw. Just above the collar bend an ''L or a loop'' in the rod as a handle. Now wipe and reinsert it and withdraw and mark the full mark with a slight Junior hacksaw cut and another cut about an inch below that which will leave plenty of oil in reserve. You can put a little rubber grommet under the collar as a seal.

Edited by bizzard

Hi Arthur

My SR2 is a marine version with the dipstick on the starboard side of the engine. The dipstick has only 2 markings The full mark corresponds to a sump capacity of 5½ litres.

I'll try to remember to post a photo and/or dimensions tomorrow. If I forget I am only 2 bridges UP the canal from your mooring so send me a PM if you want to have a look.

Cheers

Phil

What I've been doing, on and off over the past twenty years, is letting the oil level climb about half an inch over the max marking on the stick, taking about a litre of oil out, which drops it below the min mark, and then topping up again with fresh oil. The boat only really has a major outing in the summer, when it goes out for a couple of months cruising and I usually do a complete oil change in the middle of the cruise. Current worry has arisen as I've just had the engine rebuilt and it's started diluting again quite significantly and it isn't obvious where it's coming from - we'cve had the side panel off and there's no trace of diesel round the injectors or the leak-off, which are the usual culprits. The engineer thinks it might be the pumps themselves that are leaking.

Hi Arthur

My SR2 is a marine version with the dipstick on the starboard side of the engine. The dipstick has only 2 markings The full mark corresponds to a sump capacity of 5½ litres.

I'll try to remember to post a photo and/or dimensions tomorrow. If I forget I am only 2 bridges UP the canal from your mooring so send me a PM if you want to have a look.

Cheers

Phil

Basically, what I need to know is whether the tube the stick goes in is straight - mine has a whopping great kink in it where it was bent round the original air intake, which is what is making the dipstick bend. I may try to straighten it out...

Is the dip stick low down on the port side ''usually ex industrial engines'' or in a longish tube on the starboard side.Usual marine version.

You can make your own dipstick like so.

(snip)

Starboard side. Great advice re new dipstick - thanks.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

What I've been doing, on and off over the past twenty years, is letting the oil level climb about half an inch over the max marking on the stick, taking about a litre of oil out, which drops it below the min mark, and then topping up again with fresh oil. The boat only really has a major outing in the summer, when it goes out for a couple of months cruising and I usually do a complete oil change in the middle of the cruise. Current worry has arisen as I've just had the engine rebuilt and it's started diluting again quite significantly and it isn't obvious where it's coming from - we'cve had the side panel off and there's no trace of diesel round the injectors or the leak-off, which are the usual culprits. The engineer thinks it might be the pumps themselves that are leaking.

Basically, what I need to know is whether the tube the stick goes in is straight - mine has a whopping great kink in it where it was bent round the original air intake, which is what is making the dipstick bend. I may try to straighten it out...

Starboard side. Great advice re new dipstick - thanks.

Arthur

I have uploaded 3 photos to the gallery. The total length of the dipstick is 243/8 ins (24 and three eigths of an inch) and the full mark is 9/16 ins (nine sixteenth) from the end. Sump capacities does tend to vary on the SR's - mine is 5½ litres.

Regarding your oil dilution have you checked the diaphram in the fuel lift pump? That is another possibility for leakage.

Arthur

I have uploaded 3 photos to the gallery. The total length of the dipstick is 243/8 ins (24 and three eigths of an inch) and the full mark is 9/16 ins (nine sixteenth) from the end. Sump capacities does tend to vary on the SR's - mine is 5½ litres.

Regarding your oil dilution have you checked the diaphram in the fuel lift pump? That is another possibility for leakage.

Thanks for that - I will compare the pics when I go tomorrow... I have no idea how to check the diaphragm - I suspect this is beyond my level of technical knowledge! I'll mention it to the engineer when I get the thing serviced.

Thanks for that - I will compare the pics when I go tomorrow... I have no idea how to check the diaphragm - I suspect this is beyond my level of technical knowledge! I'll mention it to the engineer when I get the thing serviced.

Service kits for the lift pump are fairly cheap ( equivalent to 3 or 4 pints of beer?) and easy to install. Given the age of your engine it might be a good idea to service the lift pump so you can rule it out from the equation?

Good luck

Phil

When we had a diluting Lister it turned out to be the pump diaphragm.

It had no effect on the engine running, the boat was an old'un with a dieseloutlet on the bottom of the tank which created a gravity feed.

Service kits for the lift pump are fairly cheap ( equivalent to 3 or 4 pints of beer?) and easy to install. Given the age of your engine it might be a good idea to service the lift pump so you can rule it out from the equation?

Good luck

Phil

Sounds like a good idea from the general consensus round here. I'll try to find someone who can do it without chargingme a fortune...

Arthur

What am I missing? The lift pump is outside the engine. How does leaking diesel get into the sump?

What am I missing? The lift pump is outside the engine. How does leaking diesel get into the sump?

If its like mine the operating arm runs on the cam inside the engine, so a leaking diaphragm could let diesel into the lower part of the pump and then into the engine.

If its like mine the operating arm runs on the cam inside the engine, so a leaking diaphragm could let diesel into the lower part of the pump and then into the engine.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for that, I will be of in a mo to check.. my oil level has been erratic, rather than steadily going down, and I was worried that I might have a developing leak around the pump/injectors. Maybe it is just that diaphragm.