Ridgeacre branch

AMModels

Featured Posts

96005310201399328929695.jpg
Tree appears to have been deliberately placed across the canal at Swan Bridge

We got stuck on something there back in 2004...

5374580319_7f7c5c2e2c_z.jpg
Wasn't the widest channel then either...
5375178484_a58e1f7a55_z.jpg
Though we did manage to get to the end eventually.

We last went up the Wednesbury Old stub in March 2004 and had no problem, apart from the trolley reef under Swan Bridge, we simply used the boot hook to shuffle the trollies to one side or the other to make a 7ft gap, then carried on. ISTR that we did not even go down the weed hatch and did not stir up too much of the dreded black $hite (winded using pole)

Dscn2675.jpg

Dscn2676.jpg

Dsc02594.jpg

Dscn2682.jpg

Dscn2678.jpg

Dscn2679.jpg

Dsc02598.jpg

Now the interior sprung mattress we caught under Belper Bridge was another matter! Thanks to the two van loads of BW bods it was soon off, they even went out and bought some new sniips!!!

Dscn2674.jpg

Edited by Neil TNC

Aieee! The Mattress!! Fear The Great Mattress of Tame!!!

I think we have some photos from 2009, including manipulating the trolley reef

I still haven't found anyone who has been to the end since we did in 2009

Richard

I still haven't found anyone who has been to the end since we did in 2009

Richard

Not for want of trying! Wish we did it on our last hire boat holiday in September 2009 now but we ran out of time after getting stuck at the top of the Titford. We guessed it was 3 years since the last boat but looks like 4.

We did take a couple of runs into the weed but no way would you get a boat through now (unless it was a shallow draft ex hire boat...). Shopping trolleys should be removable with a boat hook enough to get past - maybe make a report with the new trolley app!

I do think the pollution issue is overstated a bit though - I don't doubt the heavy pollution in the silt but still believe if boated carefully it it is no worse than many other areas on the BCN. It is people who don't plan ahead and thrash around needlessly using very high revs in forward and reverse that would cause a problem.

I would love to see some photos of your 2009 trip as a comparison to how it is now.

Tom

Our cruise in 2009:

We took careful depth soundings on the way in as there were a few brick reefs:

depth-sounding.jpg

Around the corner, it got a bit reedy:

African-Queen.jpg

This section wasn't long. Once through that and the trolley reef, the end was clear and deep. I believe it is kept so by the water draining from the rest of the system across the road:

the-end-1.jpg

We turned Tawny around, then backed the stern fender up against the extreme end so we could claim we had done the whole branch, TNC style (our heroes):

the-end-2.jpg

Going back was a little easier as we knew what to expect. In 2009, the reeds had a gap just one boat width wide:

reeds.jpg

In general, the water was Old Main Line green on top, and Ryder's Green black on the bottom:

water.jpg

Somewhere I think I have a photo of Team Tawny Owl defeating the trolley reef

Richard

Edited by RLWP