toilets which is the best

shellfishb5

Featured Posts

I had a loo disaster when I first began canal boating, we had bought our first boat and the loo was a porta-potti which was something I'd never seen before (so I guess not to uncommonly) I was a tad embarrassed to be seen lugging it around to the elsan point. I tried to be inconspicuous but felt I was being watched by those who knew the potential for a mere male to get something so simple so wrong! :D I made it to the elsan point without mishap but with a red face and lifted the loo to the disposal bowl when it began to slip through my fingers (they are much heavier than I expected). I had no choice but to grab it to stop it from dropping onto the floor and my fingers found an amazingly handy handle which was in just the right place, you must have guessed it was the opener, the contents poured at speed from the cassette right over my legs and then onto the floor which was awash with the daily droppings of two people with a smell the like of which I'd never ever had experienced before. Of course there was a queue waiting for the elsan point as there always is when things go wrong :D . I had to rinse the elsan point out with the hosepipe, rinse myself off and then find a way to clear up the mess on the floor before anyone else ould possibly use it, while all the time trying to apologise. Now, I have a pronounced stammer which gets worse when I'm under stress, so the kind folks waiting were subjected the sight of a stammering buffoon who was pulling funny faces has he tried to speak and with specks of spit coming from his mouth while his shorts,legs and shoes were covered in poo all the while wishing he was almost anywhere else while he began attracting hordes of flies, my day was complete when I realised I'd failed at the most simple of tasks and that I had to walk past all the other boaters back our boat:banghead:. So with the cassette being carried as nonchalantly as I could while smelling like a very smelly thing with shorts and shoes covered in smelly poo I made it back to our boat. However, since then I've mastered this most simple of tasks and would happily say to anyone that for us they're the best choice for boating.

Denis :D

Is it true that a poop deck was so called because they used to shit off it? Or is my mate taking the p*ss?

The men pooped off the bow, sitting in the fancy grillage supporting the bowsprit where the bow wave and the well caused spray to splash up and keep their botties clean.

I'll bet the officers and fair-skinned young midshipmen pooped off the poop deck though, to avoid exposing their tender nether parts to ornery seamen. Arab dhows have a potty swung out from the poop deck for this purpose.

Edited by chris polley

The men pooped off the bow, sitting in the fancy grillage supporting the bowsprit where the bow wave and the well caused spray to splash up and keep their botties clean.

I'll bet the officers and fair-skinned young midshipmen pooped off the poop deck though, to avoid exposing their tender nether parts to ornery seamen. Arab dhows have a potty swung out from the poop deck for this purpose.

While this boys "Potty" Talk is going on, has anyone thought of having a urinal type device, piped straight into the cut.

Saves filling up the portapotti or holding tank.

And before someone says it .... No.... to the sink or straight over the side (unless of course, you do :D )

This is 100% as a fact: Over 70% of males drowned at sea by falling overboard are found with their flies open!

Denis.

I know 96% of statistics are made up on the spot but I am inclined to believe that one.

Pressurised pump outs can be tricky and I know someone who had a 'reversal' situation and ended up needing a shower and a shave.

Elsan for me, any day (in fact every day).

This is 100% as a fact: Over 70% of males drowned at sea by falling overboard are found with their flies open!

Denis.

I'm not surprised....

In fact the story behind my 'toilet'. A few days after the fishing trip last year, where I again caught no fish, but did catch sea-sickness, we were talking about this and that, as you do. He said it's good job I wasn't sent to Oss as a criminal, as I'd have had to use the 'head' whilst in stormy seas.

Now I must admit, I can think of nothing worse than sitting on that, on a heaving ship, not only feeling wretched with sea-sickness, and cold; but also most likely constapated into the bargain. I can almost garantee I wouldn't have survived the journey.

However I said when I find a seat, I'll fit it....just for fun. Well lo and behold I found one chucked away the very next day on the bit of waste land at the top of the street less than 50 yards away. Never found one before, or since.

So there we are then.

On Pump Outs:

Is there any wizzo piece of gadgetry that you can fit to the tank to indicate the level, perhaps like on the water tank?

Or is it a case of waiting till no more will go down the 'ole.

I bought my nb a couple of months ago, and have used the loo a "Few" times, but now I'm wondering how full it is.

I can't get at the tank easily to 'Sound' it, cos it's under a bed unit, and I can't dip it either, it being of the Mascerator type. :D

The guage fitted in relation to my pump out tank shows the level but only starts to register when the tank is nearly full becuase the sender unit is fitted near the top of the tank and the float is fitted to a short arm but it serves its purpose, it is also a under bed tank as is yours