Boater dogs

IainW

Featured Posts

So, let me get this right. Your "honest" opinion is fine, but my "honest" opinion is a silly little rant based on 1 internet post. I don't need any internet posts to know that caging dogs within a home environment is both lazy & cruel, but I'm reassured that you think my opposition to something I "honestly" see as cruelty is cause for derision, because that just proves my point. The fact that you see caging puppies as a sound & sensible way to treat them in the environs of an "unsafe" boat only proves to me that you are too lazy to make the environment safe for a puppy to enter into in the first place, your prime responsibility. The fact you've done this before with other pups doesn't make the practice any less cruel in my "honest" opinion & it is disingenuous for you to suggest otherwise.

Oh! I can't be bothered with you, have a happy life and i'm sure our dogs will get along fine if they ever meet, good luck!

Paul

We have spent the last two years bringing up a very highly strung lurcher, and just would not have managed this without a cage.

A cage might look ugly to us, but dogs love them.

A cage is not a punishment and never should be, with a soft bed in the bottom and a warm blanket over the top they make a perfect safe dog cave.

It is also quite acceptable, and often desirable, to lock the dog in the cage for a few hours when left alone. Separation anxiety is a big issue for many dogs. Left alone on a boat they may damage the boat and potentially cause serious harm to themselves (splinters in mouth etc). A dog may well feel that its a lot easier to "guard" its cage rather than an entire boat!

Sophie has got to be a big dog and needs a big cage, it takes up loads of space and I would love to get rid of it, but at the moment I just don't think it would be fair, its Sophies second favourite place (Our bed in the back cabin is the number one spot!).

Although using the cage as punishment is regarded as very bad we have found that when we have to shout at the dog she does run into her cage, and so have found that with the greatest care the cage can be used for "settling down time" when she gets over excited...a bit like sending a teenager to its bedroom!

........Dave

• Greenie 2

Oh! I can't be bothered with you, have a happy life and i'm sure our dogs will get along fine if they ever meet, good luck!

Paul

Fine by me. At least then, this great thread won't descend into a personal slanging match between us.

We have spent the last two years bringing up a very highly strung lurcher, and just would not have managed this without a cage.

A cage might look ugly to us, but dogs love them.

A cage is not a punishment and never should be, with a soft bed in the bottom and a warm blanket over the top they make a perfect safe dog cave.

It is also quite acceptable, and often desirable, to lock the dog in the cage for a few hours when left alone. Separation anxiety is a big issue for many dogs. Left alone on a boat they may damage the boat and potentially cause serious harm to themselves (splinters in mouth etc). A dog may well feel that its a lot easier to "guard" its cage rather than an entire boat!

Sophie has got to be a big dog and needs a big cage, it takes up loads of space and I would love to get rid of it, but at the moment I just don't think it would be fair, its Sophies second favourite place (Our bed in the back cabin is the number one spot!).

Although using the cage as punishment is regarded as very bad we have found that when we have to shout at the dog she does run into her cage, and so have found that with the greatest care the cage can be used for "settling down time" when she gets over excited...a bit like sending a teenager to its bedroom!

........Dave

I don't think I used the word "punishment" in relation to cages in any of my posts. I simply don't think its right, thats all.

Edited by Spuds

Lovely looking Pup. ''Nice' markings.

I have never liked the idea of a cage for a dog. However, I find that they are becoming more and more used and that vets and others would suggest a cage for a troublesome and/or nervous dog.

Not for me though, or my Dog. He has a bed with sides and his blanket.

Martyn

Our Millie has 2 beds, one in the lounge and one in our bedroom! She also has a crate, mainly for travelling in the car.

We got her used to it by putting the crate in the dining room and always leaving the door open. It has always been "her" space. When she is in the crate we don't poke our fingers through, or try to touch her.

When my grand daughters visit we put Millie in her crate, as she not very good with little children, with the door shut but where she can see us all. The children are under strict instructions not to touch the crate at all.

This is surely better than shutting her in a room or running the risk of one of the children being bitten. Millie will given the chance go in her crate and sleep. It is not cruel at all.

For those who do not know Millie is a Jack Russel Terrorist, sorry terrier.

Who needs an excuse to show another picture?

dscf4929.jpg

Edited by Ray T

I have a cage at home for My Tig, He loves it he also has another bed that he can use if he wants to or he can be on the chair or sofa.

More often he can be found in his cage by his own choice and the door is not closed.

I also board dogs at home for a living and the cage is helpful when my boarders are coming into Tigs house, he goes in his cage whilst

the dogs come in and have a look round and settle down before they have to deal with my rather playfull dog.

Most of the dogs that i board have cages at home as well which makes things safer when i have to leave them alone in the house, they all go to their

own cages and i know they are happy and safe.

I dont feel that any of them suffer from being in their cage!

more pics, less ranting - i like it :-)

Been desperately trying to get a good pic of Twizz and the boat for the rescue folks. Twizz is the 50th rescue dog so is a minor celebrity for them. Only trouble is, she knows 'sit' but doesn't know 'stay' yet!

photo11.jpg

photo12.jpg

Edited by IainW
  • Greenie 1

I have a cage at home for My Tig, He loves it he also has another bed that he can use if he wants to or he can be on the chair or sofa.

More often he can be found in his cage by his own choice and the door is not closed.

I also board dogs at home for a living and the cage is helpful when my boarders are coming into Tigs house, he goes in his cage whilst

the dogs come in and have a look round and settle down before they have to deal with my rather playfull dog.

Most of the dogs that i board have cages at home as well which makes things safer when i have to leave them alone in the house, they all go to their

own cages and i know they are happy and safe.

I dont feel that any of them suffer from being in their cage!

OK, & this is my final word on cages.

My issue with them arises from LOCKING them in one, which is what I perceived Gser's advice to Jamboat was - to lock the pup into a cage overnight. All the subsequent posts defending them have either had pictures of open cages or crates & state that their cages/crates are left open. Obviously, allowing the pup or dog the freedom to use the cage or not is a good thing, although I will never see the requirement for one in the 1st place no matter what the practicalities may be. As I've said, all it takes is a little bit of patience & understanding. Plus a bit of imagination.

Maybe I misinterpreted Gser's meaning, but cageing any dog or pup will always be an abomination in my eyes & if you want to take me task for holding that view, then maybe you should take a look at yourself in the mirror first.

Maybe I misinterpreted Gser's meaning, but cageing any dog or pup will always be an abomination in my eyes & if you want to take me task for holding that view, then maybe you should take a look at yourself in the mirror first.

No misinterpetation at all, no point in a cage if you can't shut it and secure the puppy when it suits.

• Greenie 1

OK, & this is my final word on cages.

My issue with them arises from LOCKING them in one, which is what I perceived Gser's advice to Jamboat was - to lock the pup into a cage overnight. All the subsequent posts defending them have either had pictures of open cages or crates & state that their cages/crates are left open. Obviously, allowing the pup or dog the freedom to use the cage or not is a good thing, although I will never see the requirement for one in the 1st place no matter what the practicalities may be. As I've said, all it takes is a little bit of patience & understanding. Plus a bit of imagination.

Possibly, but could you please tell me how you would train a deaf from birth JRT not to bite my grand children. Millie has had a rough start to life, being dumped by her first owners at only 6 months, also suffering from Colitis, which she will for the whole of her life. She was on steroids for twelve months which made her very bad tempered. After a lot of love and hard work (not to say a wedge of money) she is now a happy little soul. We had many giving us the useful advice that we should of had her PTS, but as far as I am concerned she has as much right to life as any one. If I can give her that chance I will.

Have you ever watched "Dog Borstel?" when the dogs first arrive they are put in kennels and their owners in tents. Is the kennel not just a large crate?

I understand you see crates as cruel but it works for us and Millie. On this topic we will have to agree to differ.

Edited by Ray T