Remote contolled boating

colinjw

Featured Posts

Hi folks and a Merry Xmas to all,

Back in the Oct. edition of WW there was an article about a system for radio remotely controlling a boat. Whilst this may well be cheating I think it would be a great help when I go single-handed.

According to the article, the inventor has been approached by a company interested in marketing the system.

Does anyone know where I could get more information on this?

Colin

Colin.

About 25 years ago one of the regular contributers to Waterways World had such a system on his boat, just a simple 2 channel radio control kit which could engage forward or reverse gears. He could put the boat into, and then drive it out of a lock whilst standing on the bank.

It is probably easier and cheaper to do it now than it was then, however if it became a commonplace accessory I am sure it would be banned on health and safety grounds.

P. S. You can now get 12 volt linear actuators which would do the job very easily.

Edited by John Orentas

I haven't been able to find anything on the web about remote control of narrowboats but I do have some big reservations about it. Apart from the fairly hefty servos that would be needed to control steering, gears and throttle - though they could probably powered by the alternator - I'm not at all sure that I would want to cross a boat in a pound with no apparent human control.

As John says you can bet your life that new rules would be introduced if such a system was proposed on a wide scale.

Over more than 25 years of boating, I have met many single-handed boaters ranging in age from the young and enthusiatic to those who are clearly eligble for a bus pass. The secret is to take it very slowly and develop systems that work for you.

Much as I would like to try single-handed boating the OCM insists on coming with me - doesn't she trust me out on my own?

Paul.

I can see some value in the idea, we will all reach an age when climbing up and down lock ladders is difficult or even not possible at all, ultimatley no amount of experience or technique will be of use.

For the reason I mentioned previously, If enyone decides to do it they would be advised to keep a low profile on their little project, unlike 25 years ago there is a new culture where people take enjoyment in stopping others doing things, a thousand boaters who will complain and whine forever.

John,

Rather than resort to something else that can go wrong (and Sod's Law says that if it can it will} as old age creeps up, the answer is to find a young, fit and enthusiastic crew who will do all the hard work for you. There are times when I could with that now and I don't qualify for a bus pass for another 4 years! Perhaps we should start YFEC (can't think of another acronym at short notice) to find, vet and supply crews for the elderly!

Paul. I thought it was actually Dr Murphy of the American Rocket Research Agency who coined the phrase "If it can go wrong it will" which is known in scientific circles as Murphy's Law. Not sure if he would have appreciated being referred to as sod.

• 3 weeks later...

This may help see "Waterways World" Feb 2005 edition classified adds. Page 153

Nio web site listed just phone no. 01384 70350 or 07860 761971.

I have not got any knowledge of this company at all so cannot be responsible for anything at all.Does this count as a get out.

Anyone watching last weeks exciting episode of Waterworld in the central Carlton region will have seen this idea being profiled. It looked pretty simple and certainly seemed very effective with the inventor at the virtual helm? Just a thought and taking it one step further - anyone any ideas of how I could control my boat via the internet? That way when I fancy cruising on those cold winter days - I don't even have to go out :lol:

Seriously, i actually think it's a good idea for single boating but sadly agree with the people who say that H & S 'authorities' would soon outlaw it.

Edited by Khayamanzi

The answer is to find a young, fit and enthusiastic crew who will do all the hard work for you.

I'm still trying to work out how to get this one past my wife. :lol:

Edited by dor

It was John O who suggested that 'female' should be prerequisite (not sure how that fits with equal opportunities) and Richard who suggested a particular female candidate. Now I don't have a preference as long as they work. Perhaps you should engage hunky young men Dor - bet you'd get thet past the other half!