Tie up well and sit it out

matty40s

Featured Posts

I'm getting really worried about moving our boats over the next few days after reading this thread!

We need to move 2 boats currently moored near Syston on the River Soar back their respective marinas, Hatherton on the S&W and Barton Turns on the T&M).

2 Weeks ago we set off from Mercia Marina (having just bought our boat) with the intention of completing the Leicester ring. My Parents were leading in their boat and basically 'showing us the ropes' when after just 3 days my Father was taken ill. He sadly passed away the next day and we've just had the funeral.

We were planning on getting my dads boat home first (that's if we can get the old thing started) by turning around but now wondering whether it would be more prudent to carry on with the ring and hopefully avoid any flooding rivers? Not being that familiar with the network and having left all our maps on the boats I'm not sure on the best route and trying to figure it out on line is a nightmare. Which way would you go?

I'm getting really worried about moving our boats over the next few days after reading this thread!

We need to move 2 boats currently moored near Syston on the River Soar back their respective marinas, Hatherton on the S&W and Barton Turns on the T&M).

2 Weeks ago we set off from Mercia Marina (having just bought our boat) with the intention of completing the Leicester ring. My Parents were leading in their boat and basically 'showing us the ropes' when after just 3 days my Father was taken ill. He sadly passed away the next day and we've just had the funeral.

We were planning on getting my dads boat home first (that's if we can get the old thing started) by turning around but now wondering whether it would be more prudent to carry on with the ring and hopefully avoid any flooding rivers? Not being that familiar with the network and having left all our maps on the boats I'm not sure on the best route and trying to figure it out on line is a nightmare. Which way would you go?

My condolences,

have you tried canalplan

although i don't seem to be able to find the map option just at the moment. 'edit - it's the Virtual Cruise tab after calculating a route'

I would check the boats (even for blocked deck drains etc), but i wouldn't plan on going anywhere just yet..

Simon (stuck at a desk with no boats...)

Edited by bristol & argo

Really sorry to hear about your Dad, and also how it leaves you.

I would not touch the Soar until at least the weekend if there is no more rain, and the Trent is likely to be in flood much longer after the last two days - its catchment area is saturated and it continues to rain there now, almost 48 hours of the stuff.

It is a long way round, and days aren't so long now, but continuing the ring will probably be the best option if you have to move them soon.

This would mean going via Braunston, Coventry and to Fradley Junction near Armitage. There is where the paths diverge, one right on the T&M (with a short river section) and one left on the T&M to Great Haywood and then left on the S&W.

Edited by matty40s

Condolences to you and yours.

I would certainly wait until the waters have dropped, there are river stretches either way, so let the boats sit until it's back in the green.

Have you thought about towing the second boat so it's all done in one trip? Or asking for a second skipper to follow you? I know of at least one person on here who would probably be able to help you out, and who is local.

You must have had a terrible couple of weeks & I really feel for you & your family.

My own feelings are -----

You are not going far in either direction for at least a few days, so are the boats in a safe canalised section at the moment?

My advice would be, when the waters have dropped,is to go back the same way that you came. It is the shortest way & at least you have done it recently & know what to expect. There are several safe havens on your way back to the Trent if you get caught out.

I would also agree that it would be better to get the boats back together if possible, getting help would be best rather than towing IMHO.

If I can be of any help, please pm me.

Interestingly we are on E.A. waters and thanks to Denver Sluice we are just about sitting on the bottom because they dump a lot of water out of our system prior to the rain getting dumped on us, of course if we dont get a lot of rain we have to stay down till Denver gets the sluices shut to raise the level.

Phil

Hi there - we came up the Avon over Sunday and Monday and I have to say it was pretty hairy. The current downstream was so strong and by Monday afternoon the water had risen significantly and we were taking it a lock at a time. The wind and current were enough to push the boat around and even sent me racing toward the bank. We got stuck on Sunday at dusk and decided the best place was to stay at the extended mooring pole position. I hope those people at Strensham are OK!! The bridges were almost completely unnavigable (Ba.

rton and Bidford) as the current was too much.

We got to Stratford basin yesterday safely though and left the family to take the boat up Stratford South to Lapworth junction.

Does anyone have any news about the canal water levels around the Grand Union Canal; Warwick and Birmingham stretch?

Thank you both so much for your kind replies, advice and for the link to canalplan... What a great site! I've come to the same conclusion, that although it's a long way round it will be safer to complete the ring (clockwise) now that I can see the route clearly on canalplan. :cheers:

Thank you both so much for your kind replies, advice and for the link to canalplan... What a great site! I've come to the same conclusion, that although it's a long way round it will be safer to complete the ring (clockwise) now that I can see the route clearly on canalplan. :cheers:

Sorry to hear of your Bereavement , If you are having trouble moving both boats , go & speak to Ian & Mark at Old Junction boatyard at Syston , explain your situation & I'm sure if they can they will find you a temporary mooring for Dads boat.

If you still fancy the ring then......

The river runs keen during flood above Thurmaston to Birstall as its narrow here, there is also the bridge by the canoe centre to navigate which can be low at times of high water, plus numerous weirs thru the city. We have made the trip with cruisers & NB's when the river is touching reds & maybe above on the odd occasion. As you are fairly new to it all it may be advisable & beneficial to stay put for a couple of days - The Soar falls fast after the rain stops!

If you are happy to continue & worried about river navigation if it rains more during your trip, its maybe a 4-6 hr trip depending on how fast you travel to Kings Lock (9 miles / 9 locks) Once there you will be on the safety of the GU. Around the ring via Foxton locks , Braunston , Oxford canal down Hilmorton towards Hawksbury , Coventry canal to Fradley - At Fradley its a right turn towards Barton Turns a few hrs cruise (Short river section at Alrewas) or a left turn towards Great Haywood & the Staffs to Hatherton.

Its a much longer route to continue around the ring & will be harder work, It depends on how you wish to continue as I guess you would like to get both boats home quickly.

Good Luck.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss and I appreciate that right now the very last thing you need is any more stress.

If the boats are in a canal section then as others have already said, do nothing for the moment. You really do not need to rush about getting either of them back to base. If you are concerned about potentially overstaying on a mooring then simply ring CART and explain the circumstances. When rivers are high there are always people who have to overstay anyway but with your circumstaces they will not be concerned straight away even when the levels drop so long as you keep them informed.

You probably feel the need to get your Dad's boat back home as soon as possible in order to be able to close that chapter but stop and think for a moment. Your Dad would not want you doing anything that might cause you any extra stress or for that matter put you in any danger so:

1, heed the advise of those on this forum who know the area where the boats are and if you are able to identify a forum member close by they may be willing to check your boats periodically until you can return to them.

2, start a new thread asking for help. People of this forum are very helpful in instances such as yours but in among this thread your post could get missed by people who may be able to help

3, Ask if there is anyone who could bring your Dad's boat back for you. If you get an offer from someone and you don't know if they are reliable then ask people on hear if they can offer a reference for the person who has offered. The canal community often rallies together to help at times like this.

Whis boat is it that you have to get back to Hatherton? Is that your mooring or where your father kept his boat. I ask because that is our home mooring too and I hate to think one of our neighbours is having a rough time.

I am sure you will get it all sorted soon.

Just to clarify it's my fathers boat that is normally moored at Hatherton.

We contacted CaRT regarding the position of the boats and are also in touch with the folks at Syston boat yard. We have arranged for Mark's father to meet us at my fathers boat this weekend to help us get it started... They've been very kind keeping their eye on his boat for us.

We'll be going down to 'baby-sit' the boats but not attempt to move them till after the weekend in view of the flood risks etc. Ours isn't too bad as we managed to get it into Leicester Marina last weekend but my dads is still on the towpath. Although it would be nice to get them both back asap, fortunately we have plenty of time on our hands to 'take our time' as we're both retired.

Thanks again for the replies and kind words... Much appreciated! x

ps In hindsight I should have started a new thread for this so sorry to hijack the thread.