Large Northwich 'Stamford'

Mike C

Featured Posts

I hate to admit it but as a teenager I had a poster on my bedroom wall of 'Murrells' TOWCESTER and BINGLEY in this livery and tied outside Bulbourne Workshops. I think I may also have this image somewhere as a postcard.

I have found my copy of the poster - But I dont know how to I put up a picture on the forum?

If your image is a print, or slide, it needs to be scanned into the computer to become preferably a jpeg file.

Once that is done, the following link should explain the rest.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1633

The poster's a bit large to scan :D

I've got the postcard as well, but not with me. I can scan that when me and the card in next in the same location.

Well at least there is photographic evidence that boats have been moored there for some time....

Mike

We used to moor immediately below Uxbridge Lock bridge, Where the green and white barge is moored on the photo below (nicked from Derek R's link). I would be prepared to sign an affidavit that there have been boats moored on the offside both above and below the lock for at least 48 years, and there are still quite a few people around who would also remember that.

Uxswanrs.jpg

Here is a photo of Pisces on the same mooring in 1966, It has changed a bit since then!

03.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

Here is a photo of Pisces on the same mooring in 1966, It has changed a bit since then!

03.jpg

My god can't believe that's below Uxbridge. Just walked up with the picture and had a quick look. What was behind the tree line? and was the opening to the now Denham yacht station as wide as it is now?? Plus the over flow doesn't look very strong at that time.

Darren

Aah! In which case a compromise might be to take a decent photo of it.

It was Mike C who said he's found his copy of the poster. I do have one, but it is likewise not where I am at present. Mike's Reuben will have seen it anyway, of course, plus he was asking about Stamford, not Towcester.

are you sure thats not below Denham Deep??

I am confident it is below Uxbridge lock. It is one of a series of photos taken by my friend, some of them show us undertaking maintenance work on the roof, and we would only have done that on our mooring. Here is another photo taken from the mooring which shows more detail of the surroundings including several buildings visible, some of which I am certain are part of the old Sandersons fabric mills, there were no buildings below Denham Deep, just open fields.

Uxbridge196602.jpg

End of an Era, When Collier Brothers folded the coal business at Leighton, brother Pete bought Lyra. If my chronology is correct Bilster was stuck the wrong side of a tunnel collapse, so I could not fetch Lyra back to the Cowroast so Jason, with Stamford, towed Lyra to Cowroast instead and I steered the butty. On the Towpath at Linslade is Tim Collier's Moggy, we used to deliver coal with, the other two shots are going up Maffas and around the Railway crossing below Ivinghoe...Sorry they are lousy photo's. Probably a working day so Pete was Lock keeping or on the length.....Lyra was the last of the Collier - Leighton based coal boats to leave.

There are some great pictures in this thread and I hope you don't mind I have had a quick play with my Photo software to bring the colour and sharpness back to what looks like faded colour photos of a super shot you have posted. I will of course remove if you object.

coloured056copy.jpg

Since I am a canal, historical boats and Morris Minor fan this pic is super for me. All it needs is a railway line in the background a signal box with a GWR loco and train steaming by and it would be perfect!

I am confident it is below Uxbridge lock. It is one of a series of photos taken by my friend, some of them show us undertaking maintenance work on the roof, and we would only have done that on our mooring. Here is another photo taken from the mooring which shows more detail of the surroundings including several buildings visible, some of which I am certain are part of the old Sandersons fabric mills, there were no buildings below Denham Deep, just open fields.

Uxbridge196602.jpg

Here is another one taken at the same time, You can clearly see the Swan and bottle bridge in the background. I cannot believe I was wearing a shirt and tie to do manual work:-

01.jpg

And one I took of the same location from the bridge above our mooring. I think we can safely agree that is not below Denham deep.

Pisces08a.jpg

The boats lined up on the towpath are waiting for the lock to re-open after new top gates were fitted, a job which took about three days! (No H & S issues in those days!) Somewhere I have some old B&W prints of that operation, which I will try to find and scan. In the meantime i hope yopu have noticed the Oil Drum - al la Sickle!!

Getting back on topic (nice though the old pics of Uxbridge lock are) ...

I've got quite a few photos of Stamford which I'll digitise and upload later.

Meanwhile, it's great to see the various shots of the motor posted by Carl and others. IIRC, some of the shots are from a large number of pics taken by a guy called Brian who came on a trip with us ('us' being me (skipper), Carl (mate) and Graham Holland aka 'Dennis' (third hand and lockwheeler).

I think the pic below was probably taken on a Sunday afternoon. As Carl says it shows Stamford and Leonids at Three Bridges (aka Windmill Lane Bridge) above the thick of Brentford on the way to load. When we were barrel-boating, we used to do two trips a week or, when called for, five a fortnight. For two-a-week, we used to tie up for the weekend at Bulls Bridge then work down to Brentford on Sunday because we needed to be there (with the motor pumped out and the planks on the bank) at 8am on Monday to start loading. We could have made an early start from Bulls Bridge on the Monday but for the fact that Brentford locks (or, specifically, Norwood top and the bottom of the thick) were chained overnight.

That was the first year that T&D had Leonids on the barrels; that's why the elum is still in oxide. No excuse for the brass though, except that it was obviously wet weather which, on reflection, is no excuse at all.

StamfordandLeonidsHanwell.jpg

Below is a rather grainy (second generation) photo of Stamford then owned by T&D Murrell paired with Lyra then owned by Collier brothers. The pair is winding on the Thames below Ash Island, Molesey, in early October 1976. The job was retailling coal to riverside properties and the pair was crewed by Andy Farquarson and Sandy MacDonald (that's her wielding the longshaft in the photo).

gallery_17683_2_171586.jpg

And another shot of Stamford and Lyra at Ash Island. We appear to be living on the motor - can't remember why - even though the washing is hung on the boat. If you look on the boat's mastbeam you can see our dog Vulcan (an uncastrated terrier whose priapic reputation stretched from Brummagem to Brentford).

gallery_17683_2_24163.jpg