narrow boat stern colors

onionbargee

Featured Posts

It origins lie with the returning, former narrowboating conscriptions,After demob and returning to the cut after the wars with nappy bonaparte.They were given red and white paint to paint the tunnel bands,after which they supplied with other enamel paint to decorate their sterns with similies of their hard won medals on their boats. Just another dying out tradition. Hope this helps. Reedy

It origins lie with the returning, former narrowboating conscriptions,After demob and returning to the cut after the wars with nappy bonaparte.They were given red and white paint to paint the tunnel bands,after which they supplied with other enamel paint to decorate their sterns with similies of their hard won medals. Just another dying out tradition. Hope this helps. Reedy

It origins lie with the returning, former narrowboating conscriptions,After demob and returning to the cut after the wars with nappy bonaparte.They were given red and white paint to paint the tunnel bands,after which they supplied with other enamel paint to decorate their sterns with similies of their hard won medals on their boats. Just another dying out tradition. Hope this helps. Reedy

I notice there's no tongue-in-cheek smiley in your post, so presumably this this meant as a serious suggestion? Can you supply evidence for this?

The topic was discussed here: http://www.canalworl...ndpost&p=116812

It origins lie with the returning, former narrowboating conscriptions,After demob and returning to the cut after the wars with nappy bonaparte.They were given red and white paint to paint the tunnel bands,after which they supplied with other enamel paint to decorate their sterns with similies of their hard won medals. Just another dying out tradition. Hope this helps. Reedy

Can't be right. Horse boats, which they had at that time and for a century afterwards, don't have tunnel bands.

Even the term "Tunnel band" is suspicious being yet another modern "enthusiast" term. Having been around several original yards in the past I have heard them refferd to as "counter bands" but nothing else.

No where on any original drawings or written text relating to liveries have I ever seen the term. Some motor boats didnt have the stern painted so in my opinion it was down to just preferred decoration. The only thing which seems common is that the lighter colour is at the top.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

The only thing which seems common is that the lighter colour is at the top.

........ Although this may depend on how you interpret greyscale photographs!....... :lol:

EDITED TO ADD:

To be pedantic, doesn't the Thomas Clayton livery have red top and bottom, surrounding a white band in the middle ?

I do, Like Laurence, think "tunnel band" is a modern invention.

I think they're called tunnel bands, to make it clear in a tunnel if it's the rear (ie, moving away from you) or front (coming at you) of the boat that you're seeing.

A modern explanation, I think, that is quite questionable.

Edited by alan_fincher

I notice there's no tongue-in-cheek smiley in your post, so presumably this this meant as a serious suggestion? Can you supply evidence for this?

The topic was discussed here: http://www.canalworl...ndpost&p=116812

No evidence at all Sir, because my post is 100% waffle, I was sure that all readers would see it exactly as bovine excrement.

A modern explanation, I think, that is quite questionable.

QED: As you are questioning it. ;)

I've got no idea why they're on other boats, but I know why they're on mine. Because they were on other boats. I suspect that may be why they're on a lot of other boats, too.

Baa.

Edited by Nine of Hearts

........ Although this may depend on how you interpret greyscale photographs!....... :lol:

EDITED TO ADD:

To be pedantic, doesn't the Thomas Clayton livery have red top and bottom, surrounding a white band in the middle ?

Thos Clayton have several variations, luckily we have original colour pictures so no guessing, from a quick look, 1 Three band Uxbridge built motor "Spey":Red at top white, middle and blue bottom 2 ex S&CCC motor "Dane", White top blue guard iron, red bottom, 3 Uxbridge three band motor "Stour", red top and middle, black at the bottom, 4, another three band Uxbridge motor "Umea", red top, white middle, white bottom.

Very consistent - I dont think!!