Hi new to forum and looking for advice on suitable moorings

How much?

Featured Posts

Hi to everyone

We are in the process of buying a 45ft narrowboat. We are moving to Wiltshire but want a mooring on the Oxford canal (Grand Union or Trent and Mersey are possible other options) do you have any suggestions for safe moorings which are reasonably priced with good facilities? We are after a residential mooring with pleasant, safe and possibly easy cruising (e.g. few locks in one direction). I am not lazy but am seeking to give my good lady as much relax time as possible.

Any suggestion would be helpful. This is my first post but I have already learned a lot from browsing the forums.

Best wishes

How much

Hi to everyone

We are in the process of buying a 45ft narrowboat. We are moving to Wiltshire but want a mooring on the Oxford canal (Grand Union or Trent and Mersey are possible other options) do you have any suggestions for safe moorings which are reasonably priced with good facilities? We are after a residential mooring with pleasant, safe and possibly easy cruising (e.g. few locks in one direction). I am not lazy but am seeking to give my good lady as much relax time as possible.

Any suggestion would be helpful. This is my first post but I have already learned a lot from browsing the forums.

Best wishes

How much

I will jump in first, Hillmorton Marina by the Hungry Horse pub on the North Oxford.

Brinklow marina on the north Oxford is very pleasant. In one direction you've got all the way to Hawkesbury lock free, then the stop lock, then the Ashby without any locks. In the other direction there's the three locks at Hillmorton, then all the way to Braunston and Napton without any more locks. I doubt you'll get an official residential mooring, but plenty of people appear to live on their boats.

Edited by adam1uk

Hi to everyone

Best wishes

How much

Why residential / BWML have grade 1 moorings where you may live on at far less cost than a residential price tag, also many other marinas allow long term use of their moorings. :cheers:

Tim

Why residential / BWML have grade 1 moorings where you may live on at far less cost than a residential price tag, also many other marinas allow turn a blind eye to long term use of their moorings. :cheers:

Tim

I think that's what you meant to say?? ;)

Edited by The Dog House

Brinklow marina on the north Oxford is very pleasant. In one direction you've got all the way to Hawkesbury lock free, then the stop lock, then the Ashby without any locks. In the other direction there's the three locks at Hillmorton, then all the way to Braunston and Napton without any more locks. I doubt you'll get an official residential mooring, but plenty of people appear to live on their boats.

Great thanks Adam and everyone. I looked at Brinklow and it seems worth making enquiries

Best wishes

How much

If you have time/chance you could spend the day/afternoon etc exploring the area by car and seeing the various options for yourself. We are lucky that on the part of the Shroppie where we are there are quite a lot of marinas and we visited at least 5. From there we could see how they wers situated on the system and get a feel for the place. We instantly ruled out some from this as they just didnt give us the right feeling! If you are going to spend considerable time there you need to be sure. Though very good advice is given on this forum :) everyone id differnt and we all like/ look for different things. Besides it's an excuse for a trip out to a canal!!! :D

If you have time/chance you could spend the day/afternoon etc exploring the area by car and seeing the various options for yourself. We are lucky that on the part of the Shroppie where we are there are quite a lot of marinas and we visited at least 5. From there we could see how they wers situated on the system and get a feel for the place. We instantly ruled out some from this as they just didnt give us the right feeling! If you are going to spend considerable time there you need to be sure. Though very good advice is given on this forum :) everyone id differnt and we all like/ look for different things. Besides it's an excuse for a trip out to a canal!!! :D

Good thinking little duck

Best wishes

How much

We are at Brinklow Marina and enjoy it there, very peaceful and we enjoy winding down at weekends in the Marina or a slow weekend trip to Hawkesbury which is is ideal for us.

Diesel, pump out, elsan, water and electric all available available. A secure site from the road and every boat entering the Marina getts noticed by the Habour master/s so they know whats going on. No brick built facillites on site which in our minds helps keep the costs down.

Current mooring costs are posted on thier web site. Google Brinklow Marina.

We are at Brinklow Marina and enjoy it there, very peaceful and we enjoy winding down at weekends in the Marina or a slow weekend trip to Hawkesbury which is is ideal for us.

Diesel, pump out, elsan, water and electric all available available. A secure site from the road and every boat entering the Marina getts noticed by the Habour master/s so they know whats going on. No brick built facillites on site which in our minds helps keep the costs down.

Current mooring costs are posted on thier web site. Google Brinklow Marina.

I hope you note the names of these marinas and dont confuse them with the one at Barby

Hi

Thanks all

We went to Enslow Mill Wharf and Lower Heyford yesterday and feel we are beginning to understand what we want in a mooring. Probably somewhere larger and sheltered. Someone mentioned Heyford Fields marina. Does anyone have any views?

Best wishes

How much?