Got the boat, done the Helmsman course

Wiff

Featured Posts

I have now got a 40 foot boat and I am now keen to kit it out with all those essentials whilst at the boat yard I will need to safely get around the system and move me from Norbury Junction to the Caldon Canal.I have a map of the whole system and a 4 counties guide, 2 windlass and an aluminium long reach windlass, 2 anti vandal keys, 2 piling pins, a metal mallet, 2 metal ground pins, spare belts for the Lister sr2 engine, some diesel bug treatment, a bottle of milton to sterilize the water tank and a tube of captain Tolleys!, I need to get a British waterways key, a windlass belt for when I do the locks myself and a marine magnet. I have this week spent 3 days bobbing around the Shropshire union on a Helmsman course with the wonderful Terry Robertson and now know what I know and also what I dont! I have discovered that my boats tiller height is perfect for me and that my boat needs a centre line attachment and a new set of ropes (are the sets on ebay okay?) Is there anything else I need on my boat bar myself to safely navigate the route to my new moorings? I am as usual for me over prepared but I would rather be that than not have that essential item. Thank you all again

I have now got a 40 foot boat and I am now keen to kit it out with all those essentials whilst at the boat yard I will need to safely get around the system and move me from Norbury Junction to the Caldon Canal.I have a map of the whole system and a 4 counties guide, 2 windlass and an aluminium long reach windlass, 2 anti vandal keys, 2 piling pins, a metal mallet, 2 metal ground pins, spare belts for the Lister sr2 engine, some diesel bug treatment, a bottle of milton to sterilize the water tank and a tube of captain Tolleys!, I need to get a British waterways key, a windlass belt for when I do the locks myself and a marine magnet. I have this week spent 3 days bobbing around the Shropshire union on a Helmsman course with the wonderful Terry Robertson and now know what I know and also what I dont! I have discovered that my boats tiller height is perfect for me and that my boat needs a centre line attachment and a new set of ropes (are the sets on ebay okay?) Is there anything else I need on my boat bar myself to safely navigate the route to my new moorings? I am as usual for me over prepared but I would rather be that than not have that essential item. Thank you all again

:) Congratulations Wiff :) It seems that you are well prepared ( I was just the same when I got my boat lol ) all you need now IMO is a flask especially if you are cruising solo and some sarnies, plus waterproofs kept within reach. What I also bought was a life ring and a life throw. A centre line attatchment is a good idea and if you can have two :) You will I am sure get a lot of good advice and support from the forum and if you need any help, just ask and I am sure lots of good people will help you out. Be brave and get out and cruise and your confidence will grow :) Lastly welcome to the wonderful world of boating :)

Lorraine :)

Is there anything else I need on my boat bar myself to safely navigate the route to my new moorings? I am as usual for me over prepared but I would rather be that than not have that essential item. Thank you all again

Congrats on your new boat, Wiff. :cheers:

First, let me start by saying I have zero experience, and so the following items are what others have posted on previous threads (minus the things you've already said you have). Hopefully there's something in there you think will be useful:

First aid kit

Lifebuoy & lifejacket

Boat hook, boat pole & gangplank

Flotation device on keyrings - cork ball or modern self-inflatable (get spare keys cut also?)

Spare footwear - water resistant with non-slip soles

Gas bottle spanner/adjustable spanner?

Kettle & plastic mug

Household matches

Strong pair of gloves & cutter - if something nasty gets caught on the prop

Anchor & chain/rope (will you be navigating any rivers?)

Torch & batteries (head torch?)

Marker pen, paper & selotape - in case you need to leave a note in the window

Fuses & spare bulb for tunnel llight

Sleeping bag

Bog roll :)

River Canal Resue membership?

Edited by cl@rkey

A couple of old plastic carrier bags to tie around the hammered-in ground moorings pins. Have a GREAT time! :cheers:

These can also be worn over your shoes to preserve them for walking in mud with string or elastic bands around the ankles to secure them. Snobs would only use Harrods ones of course.

:) Congratulations Wiff :) It seems that you are well prepared ( I was just the same when I got my boat lol ) all you need now IMO is a flask especially if you are cruising solo and some sarnies, plus waterproofs kept within reach. What I also bought was a life ring and a life throw. A centre line attatchment is a good idea and if you can have two :) You will I am sure get a lot of good advice and support from the forum and if you need any help, just ask and I am sure lots of good people will help you out. Be brave and get out and cruise and your confidence will grow :) Lastly welcome to the wonderful world of boating :)

Lorraine :)

Yes, and may I add, if you had a straight forward cool bag close as well with sandwhiches, fruits, snacks if you are travelling on your own. Helps keep them dry and cool if needed. All the best,

These can also be worn over your shoes to preserve them for walking in mud with string or elastic bands around the ankles to secure them. Snobs would only use Harrods ones of course.

Medium size freezer bags with tie handles do the job perfectly. Put bag over your feet and tie handles around your ankle. I've only used these to keep my feet dry whilst cycling though. I imagine walking on a towpath you'd have to be very careful if it's slippy or muddy feet will be the least of your worries!

Sun protection factor 99. Amazing how burned you can get even when it doesn't really seem that sunny. And buy a dozen lip balms and have them in every corner and all your pockets.

Bit girly, but that's me. I don't like being dried up. :P