Bulls bridge, G.U old wharf

onionbargee

Featured Posts

Im wondering what used to be at the site between Bulls Bridge junction and the Nestle factory, it's a electricity sub station now, but there is a wharf with well used mooring rings, and an old loading ramp made of railway track there.

google earth 51.500675, -0.410658

Edited by onionbargee

Im wondering what used to be at the site between Bulls Bridge junction and the Nestle factory, it's a electricity sub station now, but there is a wharf with well used mooring rings, and an old loading ramp made of railway sleepers there.

If it's the site with the British Airways aircraft component repair facility on it I think it used to be the EMI record factory. (Hayes Gramophone) An electricity substation was built to service the BA facility.

N

Looking at old ordnance survey maps online show nothing of any significance.

1930's HERE. You'll need to scroll down on the right hand side for map 1932 - 1935, then click on that and wait for the download.

Edited to add:

Older maps show just a field, and the 1960 one shows little more.

Edited by Derek R.

It was Hayes cocoa works (eventually Nestle) according to "Arteries of commerce" the GUCCo handbook.next dock on towpath side was Shackles which had Smiths crisps and Scotts jams.

http://www.luphen.org.uk/images/2007/2007-04/2007-04-07-135007.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

the cocoa works is the building on the right of your picture as far as I know, still stinks/smells (depending on your senses) of coffee when you go by!

and smith's was next door to that.

Nestle's coffee, the white buildings in the picture, are closing down, as we speak. The air is a little bit less stinky now around Bulls Bridge, not much though.

when area was waste land, before they started the current expansion of the electric station, the bottle diggers found loads there, so it must have been a rubbish tip at some point.

That looks like an un-loading ramp for a tipper lorry, i'm wondering what they were tipping there ?

Edited by onionbargee

Is it, when? Bet that will see a few unemployed. Seems a big place. More of those flats going there?

already stripping out the place my friend. Bound to be flats, sorry waterside apartments.

You notice that all the big new housing developments round here, Hayes, Yeiwsley, ect are all filled by dubious immigrants. We might as well build flats in Somalia and save them the journey !

Im wondering what used to be at the site between Bulls Bridge junction and the Nestle factory, it's a electricity sub station now, but there is a wharf with well used mooring rings, and an old loading ramp made of railway sleepers there.

I only remember it from the 60s on as a field with cows, between the BW repair yard and Hayes cocoa, though BW did keep timber on part of it. A woman named Jill kept pigs on the land opposite, on the towpath side - known to us obviously as Jill's pig farm, but it probably had some formal name. The bridge was built as access when she moved out and her farm was developed as an industrial estate for Volvo among others. I remember the loading ramp, but I've no idea what was loaded there. The Yeading Brook was also known as Bull's Brook just there.