Hospital Silencer

johnmck

Featured Posts

We have a boat fitted with a cocooned Beta 43. Whilst the package came with a hospital silencer, this was deemed too large for the space available and so a very basic exhaust was fitted. As you can imagine, this rather negates the benefit of the cocoon and so I am thinking of fitting or having fitted a smaller hospital silencer. Can anyone make any reccomendations? We intend mooring for the winter near Crick, but are currently heading south on the Shroppie.

Cheers.

Edited by johnmck

We have a boat fitted with a cocooned Beta 43. Whilst the package came with a hospital silencer, this was deemed too large for the space available and so a very basic exhaust was fitted. As you can imagine, this rather negates the benefit of the cocoon and so I am thinking of fitting or having fitted a smaller hospital silencer. Can anyone make any reccomendations? We intend mooring for the winter near Crick, but are currently heading south on the Shroppie.

Cheers.

Talk to T W Marine at High Peak. They do a variety of silencers and supplied me with a "nearly" hospital silencer that is smaller but still does a fair job. Like you I didn't have the space for the full hospital silencer. I had it fitted at North Kilworth when the boat was blacked. At the same time the exhaust altered from side exit to stern exit so such noise that was left did not bounce of piling/bridges/tunnel sides straight back to the steering position.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Thank you for the reply Tony. I think we will be in that area for the winter so will visit North Kilworth and discuss. We did call into TW Marine whilst on the Peak forest, but due to their time constraints they could not fit at the time but were very helpful none the less. It would appear that many well designed engine installations are let down by poorly thought through and badly constructed exhaust systems. There is not a better example of the saying 'you don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar' . This certainly seems to be the case with our boat. The basic system fitted is getting louder as engine hours pass and is now intrusive.

Cheers

Cheers.

If you are going to Crick then try Servias silencers, they are on the A428 just outside Northampton (sorry lost the phone No) but back in the middle 2000's they were the makers of hospital silencers and were happy to sell to you at the factory. They made a custom silencer and pipework for a client of mine at a v reasonable price.

HTH

Paul m

If you are going to Crick then try Servias silencers, they are on the A428 just outside Northampton (sorry lost the phone No) but back in the middle 2000's they were the makers of hospital silencers and were happy to sell to you at the factory. They made a custom silencer and pipework for a client of mine at a v reasonable price.

HTH

Paul m

Another avenue to look into. Thank you Paul.

John.

Thank you for the reply Tony. I think we will be in that area for the winter so will visit North Kilworth and discuss. We did call into TW Marine whilst on the Peak forest, but due to their time constraints they could not fit at the time but were very helpful none the less. It would appear that many well designed engine installations are let down by poorly thought through and badly constructed exhaust systems. There is not a better example of the saying 'you don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar' . This certainly seems to be the case with our boat. The basic system fitted is getting louder as engine hours pass and is now intrusive.

Cheers

:smiley_offtopic:

There is a better example of 'you don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar' !

Very close to us, there is a business, ostensibly boat engineers, whom have on more than one occasion, convinced new boat owners that re-blacking should be carried out with just one coat of bitumen.

HTH

Paul m

We went there for our hospital silencer, measurements given over the phone and we collected when ready. Identical construction to the ones in chandlers and much cheaper (£95 in '04)

We went there for our hospital silencer, measurements given over the phone and we collected when ready. Identical construction to the ones in chandlers and much cheaper (£95 in '04)

When we went there with a Brochure from the crick show, they were making them for TW. BTW they make silencers for hospitals that are as big as a 10ton truck bed.!!

Best are Cowl silencers - US made and acknowledged as the best marine silencer. I have one on my 8ltr engine and instead of a hospital silencer 6 - 7ft long and 2+ft diameter, this is 20 x 20inches. Either residential grade or slightly larger critical grade.

See here - http://enginesilencing.ipu.co.uk/

and for residential grade - http://phillipsandtemro.com/silencing_emission_technology/cowltsseries.asp

and for critical grade - http://phillipsandtemro.com//silencing_emission_technology/cowltxsseries.asp

Edited by colin stone