Aqua Filta

Prof

Featured Posts

Having had a situation where silt in my water tank was stirred up and then come through the tap at the galley, which is fed via an Aqua Filta (Jabsco), I contacted Jabsco to ask whether I had installed the filter incorrectly.

I was ASTONISHED to discover that according to Jabsco the Aqua Filta is NOT a FILTER! They say:

"The Aquafilta is NOT a purification device, it is designed to improve the taste quality of the water, effectively it is to freshen the water when it has been in the tank for some time to remove any stale taste.

We would NOT expect the Aquafilta to remove silt from the water."

On their website they state "For bright, CLEAN, fresh tasting drinking water" surely to "CLEAN" it insinuates FILTERING?

When is a filta not a FILTER - When it's made by JABSCO!!!

I thought I should bring this to the attention of those who read this forum, as many of you may be under the impression that you have a filter fitted in your water system when in fact it's just a "freshener"

Couldn't believe this, so I looked up a dictionary definition which completely confirms your & everyone else's idea of what a filter is.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/filter

For Jabsco to use a modified spelling of "filter", i.e. "filta", in the name of their product is totally misleading in my view & probably most reasonably minded peoples view too. A call to Trading Standards is in order I'm thinking!

Good Luck.

Use one of these with a carbon filter - lasts for years and nice tasting water

Screwfix

Alex

Nice cost effective option, Like it.

We have a S/S tank but we still use a Britta filter for topping the kettle up to stop furring up. Does this Screwfix filter stop lime build up in the kettle also?

We have a S/S tank but we still use a Britta filter for topping the kettle up to stop furring up. Does this Screwfix filter stop lime build up in the kettle also?

It's not designed to stop scaling but we don't have a problem, although we are always on the move our water comes from various regions.

Make sure you buy taper fittings for the inlet and outlet connections.

The only problem we have had in 7 years is that I have never drained it off in winter, but two years ago in that minus 18 degree winter, it blew of the bottom of the bowl.

Pretty unbelievable considering it's at least 1/4" thick!!!

Alex

Use one of these with a carbon filter - lasts for years and nice tasting water

Screwfix

Alex

Thanks Alex

Looks like a much better bet than the Aqua(NOT)filta AND its more cost effective!!

Cheers Mate

Graham

We use a Brita too. The cost of the cartridges varies hugely, need to shop around. Typically just under £4 per month is a bit steep. Just seen £3 on Amazon.

What's the life of the Screwfix filter cartridge?

Edited by keble

I replaced a Jabsco Aqua Filta some years back with an eBay sourced 10 inch filter housing. The best thing is there is an amazing range of filters available to fit these housings so you pays your money and takes your choice.

I replace my filters every year and have one item left of a batch of 0.5 micron carbon block filters which were about £12.50 each. However you can get spun fibre filters much cheaper or there are even some hybrid filters with spun fibre and carbon. eBay is a good source.

I replaced a Jabsco Aqua Filta some years back with an eBay sourced 10 inch filter housing. The best thing is there is an amazing range of filters available to fit these housings so you pays your money and takes your choice.

I replace my filters every year and have one item left of a batch of 0.5 micron carbon block filters which were about £12.50 each. However you can get spun fibre filters much cheaper or there are even some hybrid filters with spun fibre and carbon. eBay is a good source.

Take great care if using a filter on an occasional basis as bacteria can multiply inside the filter if left for long periods

I am quire happy with my tank water, howwever Mrs Biggles wasn't so I got a Seagull .5 micron filter which though expensive by the Screwfix standard does deliver very crisp water. I have a 10" 5 micron pre-filter as well so the seagull is not having to work that hard.

We use a Brita too. The cost of the cartridges varies hugely, need to shop around. Typically just under £4 per month is a bit steep. Just seen £3 on Amazon.

What's the life of the Screwfix filter cartridge?

I changed the filter after about 4 years - just because I thought I should. It still looked and worked perfectly, so who knows?

Although I do have a SS water tank.

I just like the fact that it makes my coffee taste better.

Alex