Help - anyone got a trailer?

RLWP

Featured Posts

Cant help with lending im afraid Richard but i do occasionly hire one,prices not to bad around £40 per day.

Ian.

That sounds good. Who do you hire from?

Richard

That sounds good. Who do you hire from?

Richard

A place in Studley near Redditch,number is 01527 853397 sorry dont know web address,not certain about the length you require but weight would certainly not be a problem.Will add that if you google trailer rental theres lots around pretty cheap and get cheaper prorata the longer you rent for.

Does anyone have a trailer suitable for trailing a vee bottomed, one tonne, 23 foot narrowboat that I could borrow?

I'm quietly intrigued by what can be 23 foot long, and only weigh 1 tonne.

Is this a steel V bottomed boat?

If you take just a hull, say, 7 foot wide, 3 feet deep sides, and 23 feet long. Approx 300 sq ft of steel, or a bit under 28 sq mtrs. So if it were an average 5 mm thick, maybe about .14 cubic metres.

OK that's about 1.1 tonnes, (approximation, and I hope I've got my decimal point in the right place!). If it were a thinly built Springer, (not overplated!), I suppose te bare hull might scrape just under a tonne ?

But add any kind of cabin, decks, engine, etc, then a great deal more than a tonne, surely.

Or is it an aluminum boat ? :rolleyes:

Sea Otter, I bet....

I think Juno is one of those little Wilderness fibre-glass boats.

Doubt it is either......

More likely magpie patrick's Juno - a "Viking 23" I think......

4944094381_dfca0f803f.jpg

:smiley_offtopic:

Well Juno *IS* back up for sale again!

Are you going for it ?

I have to say it has both been on the market so long, and become cheap enough, that I am deeply suspicious all may not be well with it......

Currer linky.....

Edited by alan_fincher

Looking at the details for the GU Juno

The aft part of the vessel comprising stern,

boatman’s cabin, engine room and galley is in timber.

I read that as the stern is timber - that's not right is it?

And yes, Alan has identified the Juno in question

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Looking at the details for the GU Juno

I read that as the stern is timber - that's not right is it?

OK, completely derailing Richard;s thread! :lol:......

John Currer's details are often not the best......

My take is that this was a conversion of a Grand Union butty to a motor by Malcolm Braine in 1980, so the butty back end was chopped off then, and a "modern" motor stern added, (although clearly even those bits are now over 30 years old, and may have been done in thinner steels than is the norm for modern builds).

Being a "Small Woolwich" it was originally a composite boat, with a planked bottom, and that has been retained. Jem Bates replaced a plank in recent years, but it's anybody's guess what the overall state of them could be. It is relatively unusual for these boats to hang on to their wooden bottoms, particularly converted ones. Tiggers' "Canis Major" is one such exception, and the Waterways Museum's "Sculptor" still has them, but the general trend is to replace in steel, and I'm not sure many GUCCCo composites still retain wooden bottoms do they ?

I take the comments that "The aft part of the vessel comprising stern, boatman’s cabin, engine room and galley is in timber" to mean all the superstructure rearward of that undercloth part is wood built, so that is back cabin, engine room, and a galley extension forward of that. What "timber" means I'm not sure - Braine often used oil tempered hardboard, (aka "Masonite" over deal tongue and grooved boards, and it may be that, I don't know ? It appears that what is under the cloths is also based on an insulated timber structure.

So only the hull, (and not the base of that) are in steel.

Of course if it had originally been a motor, the engine room would have been steel, not wood.

There was something about the way Braine did this type of motor conversion that means they don't have the authentic look of a genuine original motor of the same type, but I can't place exactly what makes this one look unusual. Possibly the counter has been made deeper, in an attempt to reduce draught, (although the quoted 1' 9" is clearly total nonsense - it will be a foot more than that, at least, I think). I believe not all Small Woolwich motors are actually the same at the back end, and on some the counter "kicks up" more than others, but on this one it hasn't really been made to do that at all, I think, and doesn't really say "Small Woolwich" to me.

In fairness, though, back in 1980, this kind of treatment was very normal, and people were not as precious about these things!

Has anybody actually viewed this boat, then ?

EDITED TO ADD:

"Malcolm Braine" back end on Juno......

JunoSt.JPG

A "Small Woolwich" motor, for comparison.....

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

Actually, thinking about it, "Alcor" may be one to have retained wooden bottoms, at least until quite recently. (Not something you can tell, when in water!)

Edited by alan_fincher

Are you going for it ?

I have to say it has both been on the market so long, and become cheap enough, that I am deeply suspicious all may not be well with it......

Currer linky.....

I don't think so, I was told yesterday (2nd hand) that it needs a new prop/shaft and that it has spread to 7'4", that would be OK except (if I've got this right) the owner wouldn't reduce the price enough to take into consideration the amount of work needed to fix her, such a shame.

Edited to say we are still looking and hoping that *our* boat will come along!

Edited by allybsc

Actually, thinking about it, "Alcor" may be one to have retained wooden bottoms, at least until quite recently. (Not something you can tell, when in water!)

Yes it has. The back cabin (as in your photo) is steel, though.

Edit - I'm not aware of significant differences in the counter shape between various small Woolwich motors, apart from the wooden ones which had a much narrower counter. That does not, of course, mean that there are not differences.

The Large Woolwich motors have a more or less flat counter, except for the Dover which had a sagging counter when I bought it from BW and I elevated it a bit. I think it looks better that way ;)

Tim

Edited by Timleech