Morso squirrel

Featured Posts

Hi guys & gals.... Help please, I decided to give my stove a clean out today and found that the 'back plate' (looks like a circular disc shape) has fallen off!!!!!! and there is a lot of rust etc.... Now what? Is this what this part is called 'back plate'? Is it replaceable... Midland swindlers??? Any ideas of how much.... Does the stove need to be removed to fit a new part??? Any help gratefully received as usual..... tks

It's not the backplate (blanking plate for the rear flue outlet) that will be broken, it will be the fixings that hold it in. I seem to remember these are two spring clips. and likely their fixing will have rusted away. I would 'glue' it bakc on with fire cement.

It shouldn't be in the direct line of fire (if you'll excuse the pun) as the baffle plate or back boiler is between the hole/plate and the fire.

If you do need to replace the assembly;

Parts 44141021 is the plate, 44256800 is the spring clip and 791891 / 731616 the fixings

morso-squirrel-1430-cleanburn003.gif

this is the plate;

http://www.stovespares.co.uk/blanking-plate_morso-squirrel-standard-multifuel-stove.html

the lugs

http://www.stovespares.co.uk/blanking-plate-lugs_morso-squirrel-standard-multifuel-stove.html

and the screws

http://www.stovespares.co.uk/blanking-plate-screws_morso-squirrel-standard-multifuel-stove.html

as for replacing it with the stove in place, I think you would have to life the flue pipe and get access through that hole. Although if you don't have a back boiler it is said you can get the baffle out through the door and then access is from the front.

Edited by Chris Pink

We have had the same problem. Its a standard part. Midland Chandlers were very helpful, total cost £30 from memory. Also from memory it's sealed with fire rope which will probably need replacing to avoid noxious fumes. You dont need to do anything major to access the area from the front, just remove the metal plate above the fire, part 44141100 in Chris's diagram.

Tks again folks for your kind (and as usual) help. Number one, didnt know what this part was called, and two, didnt know it was a replaceable bit :cheers: Tks Chris for the diagram explains the parts. Now.... problem is now... where to get one... I didnt have a very good signal for a search, looked on Midland's site, couldnt find anything there (used their search box to trace), Limekilns down the Staffs... No. Maybe they dont stock these things, only by order? So bit screwed at mo... as NO source of heat now... :angry: as my diesel Mikuni needs a service as that not working, and now the solid fuel stove.. grrr... This has been a year of probs so if they say things go in '3's well we have reached that now lol.... anyways tks again for the help... at least it doesnt mean a new stove... at 700 odd at squids a throw!!!!

Tks again folks for your kind (and as usual) help. Number one, didnt know what this part was called, and two, didnt know it was a replaceable bit :cheers: Tks Chris for the diagram explains the parts. Now.... problem is now... where to get one... I didnt have a very good signal for a search, looked on Midland's site, couldnt find anything there (used their search box to trace), Limekilns down the Staffs... No. Maybe they dont stock these things, only by order? So bit screwed at mo... as NO source of heat now... :angry: as my diesel Mikuni needs a service as that not working, and now the solid fuel stove.. grrr... This has been a year of probs so if they say things go in '3's well we have reached that now lol.... anyways tks again for the help... at least it doesnt mean a new stove... at 700 odd at squids a throw!!!!

Midland at Mercia Marina at Willington on the T&M have a good range of Squirrel bits - that's where I got my replacement blanking plate. It was in stock.

Harworth Heating have all the Squirrel bits and they are much better priced than chandlers. Oilstoves.co.uk I think.

N

• 4 months later...

On board now and had same problem. Didn't realise blanking plate was defective until we relit fire.

Using mobile phone for web search so limited. Anyone know suppliers in Portsmouth area. Wouldn't like to trust mastic or fire cement.we have both on board. Fir now out and safe.

Edited by Nightwatch

Hi miss karma.

Have read your pm and appreciate your help.

I'm sure I'll get it sorted once we get home.

This is on top of starter battery going duff, not unusual at this time of year, and the water pump starting to leak. Repaired water pump with kit six years ago so we have had a good run on that.

Once again thank you.

Martyn.

Hi miss karma.

Have read your pm and appreciate your help.

I'm sure I'll get it sorted once we get home.

This is on top of starter battery going duff, not unusual at this time of year, and the water pump starting to leak. Repaired water pump with kit six years ago so we have had a good run on that.

Once again thank you.

Martyn.

Pain in the butt eh lol.. Always probs when you can do without them, think its called 'life'. We ordered the parts from Midland chandlers, as need the lugs and the stainless steel screws as well, plus fire rope and the glue to make a good seal. At least you noticed yours had fallen off, we on the other hand didnt realise this until the fire wouldnt light properly.. gasp horror!! Old one well rusty. As for your starter battery, ditto on that too, we had that fail first time aboard this year... not good enough as that was a good 7 year old lol... Hope you soon get repairs done to your stove, as a wee bit on the cold side now.. brrrrrr :(