Tiller umbrella holder

NB Lola

Featured Posts

linky

Hope this helps

I bought one of these last year. Whilst it does work effectively, I found that it made steering quite difficult. Perhaps you need to get used to the extra weight and swing of the tiller.

Edited by john4647

I just don't get it, when you turn the tiller the umbrella moves with it so removing from above ones head, you get wet or sun burnt :lol:.

There is the added hight (bridges) and the problem of the wind.

Sorry decent wet weather gear or sun hat for me.

I just don't get it, when you turn the tiller the umbrella moves with it so removing from above ones head, you get wet or sun burnt :lol:.

Yes, I agree whole-heartedly.

A good steerermshould not need to keep standing in a different position as they move the tiller about, so inventing a rain cover that moves away from over your head each time you move the tiller by any largish amount has always seemed bonkers to me.

If you want a mounted umbrella, it seems sensible to attach a holder to near the hatch, or some appropriate other part that stays in the same place as you steer - because normally that's what you'll want to be doing!

For the tiller-mounted ones to work, i.e. keep the brolly over your head, I find they need to be fixed on the very end of the tiller unless you are in the habit of that very dangerous practice, standing next to the tiller within its arc of travel. Bang on the end of the tiller definitely gets in the way of steering!

Best is a brolly bracket fixed to the sliding hatch, as one always stands close up to it when its chucking with rain, but I've yet to find one. I cobbled one up myself for Aldebaran Or maybe you have a cruiser stern in which case you are stuck with a tiller bracket. I bought a well made one from a local golfing equipment shop for a tenner which I use on Reginald, but its awkward.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I have a trad stern. I attached a piece of 15mm copper pipe vertically just inside the rear doors and bought a fishing umbrella. I let 18 inches of spike out of the bottom of the umbrella and put that into the pipe. Being a fishing umbrella it's quite big so does the job well and being attached to the woodwork inside the rear doors, it obviously doesn't move with the tiller. The pipe was a bit left over so in practice free. It works very well except at a couple of low bridges. Its quick to take down and put up so no problem even then.

Ordered it

I have waterproofs and only need it whilst I am sitting and drinking my tea - Cruiser Stern. I tend to go slow enough to avoid extreme tiller action (could be a new sport).

Thanks all.

Edited by NB Lola