18hp or 22hp HA2

Narrowboat Communicator

Featured Posts

It's possibly to do with its maximum rpm. For example, Gardner 2LWs were produced with various maximum rpm, and the higher the engine speed, the greater was the rated h.p. I have seen its power rated at 24 h.p. at 1,200 rpm and 28 h.p. at 1,300 rpm. Your HA2 is indeed rated at 22 h.p. at 1,800 rpm (info from an internet vintage engine web site), but perhaps yours is governed to a slower maximum speed.

Not a very technical explanation I'm afraid, but I hope you see what I mean.

Edited by Athy

mine was rated I think at 15 HP at 1200rpm,I haven't looked at the plate for a while.This is normal,I think yours will be set to 1500rpm but to be sure I would have to get the book out and look it up and my tea and toast has just arrived.

mine was rated I think at 15 HP at 1200rpm,I haven't looked at the plate for a while.This is normal,I think yours will be set to 1500rpm but to be sure I would have to get the book out and look it up and my tea and toast has just arrived.

my plate says its 18hp at 1800rpm

um,toast eaten will get the book out.

info from the front of the Lister book as follows {2 cyl engine] 1800rpm 22HP

1500rpm 19HP

So I didn't quite remember right.

Looking at the HR2 book that gives 26.3HP at 1800rpm.

Somebody will be along in a minute with an ansewr.Have another look maybe,those plates are on my hard/immpossible to read easily list.I'm sorry I cannot be more helpfull but all the best anyway fellow lister owner

You are correct that HAs are generally rated at "11HP @ 1,800 RPM" "Per Cylinder"

Our HA3 is definitely marked as 33HP at 1800 RPM, and only recently I was looking at an HA2 that said 22HP at 1800 RPM.

I can't explain why yours should be de-rated over that, though.

The fixed speed engines are rated at coninuous load where as variable speed ones are at peak load. Marine engines are also rated at continuous as shown on the MCA lists. As it is easy to uprate or derate engines, particularly on Listers, the original build plate is sometimes misleading. There are a multitude of governor weights, governor springs and settings to contend with and a wide variety of build variants. The marine ones are usually different to the generator engines which are again different to the plant application variants. Most of the handbooks give different figures depending on the age and issue.All this before "fingergepoken" from boat owners of course! :rolleyes:

how much would the size of the silence have on its horse power? We have a large standard one on our boat and are having it replaced when its out the water in September. I fancied like fitting a smaller box to get a slightly louder sound but wouldn't want to alter back pressure to much. What size silences have you got on yours?

you ever heard a ha2 with straight through pipes?

I don't think you could fail to hear it if you had a straight through pipe :lol: , but some people do. I can't understand why.

I've got a nice big silencer on my JP and it makes for a very pleasant cruising experience without head aches. Mind you, can't hear sod all above the tappet noise :P

We often get bespoke silencers made for narrowboats.One we use is MIJ Performance in Walsall. They will make you a silencer as loud or quiet as you like. Send them the pipe size, length and o/d of the silencer you want and they will make it out of 304ss for you. Very competitive prices and fast delivery.A thing of beauty, a real shame to lag it! The difference is astonishing, keep the note , lose the volume, hear you clattering big ends instead! :cheers:

The fixed speed engines are rated at coninuous load where as variable speed ones are at peak load. Marine engines are also rated at continuous as shown on the MCA lists. As it is easy to uprate or derate engines, particularly on Listers, the original build plate is sometimes misleading. There are a multitude of governor weights, governor springs and settings to contend with and a wide variety of build variants. The marine ones are usually different to the generator engines which are again different to the plant application variants. Most of the handbooks give different figures depending on the age and issue.All this before "fingergepoken" from boat owners of course! :rolleyes:

We used to run a boat with an HA2 which was derated (from new) to 1200 rpm, about 15 bhp I seem to remember. Still went like a train, but it was a good boat ;)

Tim

You are correct that HAs are generally rated at "11HP @ 1,800 RPM" "Per Cylinder"

Our HA3 is definitely marked as 33HP at 1800 RPM, and only recently I was looking at an HA2 that said 22HP at 1800 RPM.

I can't explain why yours should be de-rated over that, though.

By derating you allow use of a bigger propeller, it might even be done so as to match an existing propeller, as well as limiting the fuel consumption and possibly having a quieter life.

Some fishing boat licences are for a certain stated horsepower, I'm not familiar with all the details but I do know that engines have been supplied in derated form to match licences.

Tim

Halsall has no guts in the silencer and so it doesn't silence,yes its loud.I'm not good of hearing anyway so am oblivious to it but other folks probably notice.

Dave the Lister is a proper marine beastie and seems to have adequate go in him for the local canals pushing through mud and debris

I never tried to work it out but was told to expect to use about a litre an hour of diesel.

my engine used to be coupled to a generator or a water pump. Can't remember which one it was :-( so would of been GOVERNED

Generator, it was still attached when it arrived at Long Eaton

you ever heard a ha2 with straight through pipes?

I can tell you its not that bad as it ran with the exhaust pipe stuck out the engine room doom for 4 months then I fitted the silencer drilling the hole in the roof with a bit and brace drill!! took me hours!

Generator, it was still attached when it arrived at Long Eaton

I can tell you its not that bad as it ran with the exhaust pipe stuck out the engine room doom for 4 months then I fitted the silencer drilling the hole in the roof with a bit and brace drill!! took me hours!

How much did the silencer Quieten it down, it still has a good old thumping sound coming out the roof!

Fuel consumption. Our HA2 is rated at 19.5 BHP@1500 RPM. IIRC book fuel consumption is 0.43 Lbs/BHP/Hour.

So, at rated output on open water, 1 gallon/hour or 1gallon/day (or less) pottering about on shallow canals

Edited by OptedOut

Fuel consumption. Our HA2 is rated at 19.5 BHP@1500 RPM. IIRC book fuel consumption is 0.43 Lbs/BHP/Hour.

So, at rated output on open water, 1 gallon/hour or 1gallon/day (or less) pottering about on shallow canals

Thanks for your information. I have just filled our tank to the brim, approximately 100 gallons. I take it we have plenty of cruising hours in there. When I was told a gallon per hour I thought better fill her up........ Lol