... Wheres my power .. !!

Featured Posts

Hi Guys,, iv got 5x 750mamp batts (cat)... why is it that when i have this lap top on i have to run the engine to use it.. The lap top is running through a 150w inverter .. If i put the lap top on without the engine running it starts beeping after a shot while.. !!!!

.... any ideas .. :~)

Assuming it is the laptop that beeps, what happens if you try and run the laptop without plugging it in to anything - i.e. run the laptop on its own batteries?

Do you have anything else on the boat that you can't use for any length of time without the engine running?

How often do you run your engine and for how long?

Have the batteries been checked recently?

Is this a new problem?

Hi Guys,, iv got 5x 750mamp batts (cat)... why is it that when i have this lap top on i have to run the engine to use it.. The lap top is running through a 150w inverter .. If i put the lap top on without the engine running it starts beeping after a shot while.. !!!!

.... any ideas .. :~)

Voltage drop through the 12Volt wiring possibly ? I have the same problem with laptop / inverter if I plug my inverter into a 12volt outlet near the front of the boat. I have to plug my inverter in to an outlet as close as possible to the batteries and run the 240V mains up the boat on an extension lead.

iv got 5x 750mamp batts (cat)... why is it that when i have this lap top on i have to run the engine to use it.. The lap top is running through a 150w inverter .. If i put the lap top on without the engine running it starts beeping after a shot while.. !!!!

Do I read this correctly as 5 x 750mAh batteries?

A typical laptop can draw up to 5-6 amps and 150W inverters are notoriously sensitive to voltage drop.

I suspect that your batteries may not be fully charged and that the distance to the 150W inverter is creating a further voltage drop!

.. aww cheers guys.. i'll try and answer all replies ...

The batts are new, Cat batts off big plant machines .. 4x 750mAh and x1 950mAh batts

I run engine for an hour or so a day... only use light at dark time ..

Its the inverter that beeps...

The inverter is close to the batts ..

Not a new problem ..

If i put tester on the batt leads it reads 12.38+ b4 i put the lap top on ..

Hi Slumdog,

There is someethong not quite right with your figures here, so some more precise information would be helpful. 750mAh batteries would be less than 1ah each, whereas if you mean 750ah then they would be massive. You also say they are new but off big plant machinery, so does that mean new to your boat but previously used, or brand new from the manufacturer?

One hour per day engine running is unlikely to be enough to replace even a fairly small ammount of daily battery use and your figure of 12.38v suggests that you are starting off with only about 65% left in your batteries.

What other electrical equipment are you running on the boat, to give us an idea of your useage, TV, lights, pumps, fridge etc.

Roger

Edited by Roger Gunkel

.. im not a tech person,i just looked at the batts and copied this down off the top of them..

caterpillar..

9x3404 cz

900 cca

750 cca

3T5760

it dosny say anything else .. and they are all new ..

.. i bet this dosnt help at all ay .. lol

Lets assume you have typoed the batteriy ratings and they are bloody big ones of a JCB type machine and the inverter bleeps.

Simple answer batteries are totally flat or knackered and/or you have inadequate wiring (size) and /or bad connections.

CCA is "Cold Cranking Amps" - the batteries ability to deliver very large currents to start a big diesel engine - almost certainly their intended use, by the sound of it.

CCA is an entirely different measure, (how much short tem current can be delivered) than "Amp Hours" (which is a measure of how long current can be supplied for).

Where is your inverter relative to the batteries, and how much of what kind of 12 volt cabling is in between. If it is a long run of not particularly substantial cable, that would (as someone else has said) explain your issue.

EDITED TO ADD:

Is this one of them ?

Linky

Edited by alan_fincher

.. ok guys, i need a sparky then..

many many thanks for your replies .

i'll just have to get by till i get some money tgether .. i wont hold my breath .. haha ..

have a great day all.. Peace .. :~)

.. im not a tech person,i just looked at the batts and copied this down off the top of them..

caterpillar..

9x3404 cz

900 cca

750 cca

3T5760

In theory CCA is about 40 x Ah, however a battery will deliver current for longer at c/20, so it probably means these batteries are much better than 20Ah, so I conclude you have at least 100Ah capacity and suspect they are not fully charged!

If the batteries are only reading 12.3-ish with no load they are not far off being flat. If you are only charging for 1 hr a day you will be causing serious sulphation of your batteries, reducing their capacity and usefulness.

You need to understand battery usage and charging regimes - plenty of information on this forum. Meanwhile, you need to charge your batteries for between 10 & 20 hours depending on how you charge them to get them fully charged.

.. ok guys, i need a sparky then..

many many thanks for your replies .

i'll just have to get by till i get some money tgether .. i wont hold my breath .. haha ..

have a great day all.. Peace .. :~)

Not necessarily - the answer may be obvious, which is what people have been trying to help with.....

For a start, an answer to the following could give some strong clues, and we might just have been able to point you in the direction of resolving the issue without employing a "sparky"!....

Where is your inverter relative to the batteries, and how much of what kind of 12 volt cabling is in between. If it is a long run of not particularly substantial cable, that would (as someone else has said) explain your issue.

caterpillar..

9x3404 cz (These batteries are 100Ah each @C20)

900 cca

750 cca (This battery is also 100 Ah @C20)

3T5760

.. i bet this dosnt help at all ay .. lol

So - in theory at least - - you've a massive battery bank.

What is also clear is that they really need charging..

Try running your engine for 8 hours at least once a week + 2-3 hours each day - or even better - go for a long cruise this weekend for 8 - 10 hours each day to start with

Edited by Grace & Favour

.. i have been out on cruses...the batts have been at nearly 13 when i test a while after stopping.. but when i use the lappy it just runs them down quickly.. iv put the clips direct to the batts now..

i bought the boat with my last pennies.. all the wiring looks like many people have had a go at it.. i just need a competent sparky to look at it and give me a price.. i would consider giving my 900 batt to anyone who can help (i might be able to hold of a new 750 batt).. all the batts are less than 6months old .. i make mushroom carvings, (varnished)... i dont make a lot of money so things are always tight .. To me it looks like all the wiring needs to be taken out and started fresh, iv seen more order in a plate of spaghetti lol .. Im in Bham city ctr ..

.. i have been out on cruses...the batts have been at nearly 13 when i test a while after stopping.. but when i use the lappy it just runs them down quickly.. iv put the clips direct to the batts now..

i bought the boat with my last pennies.. all the wiring looks like many people have had a go at it.. i just need a competent sparky to look at it and give me a price.. i would consider giving my 900 batt to anyone who can help (i might be able to hold of a new 750 batt).. all the batts are less than 6months old .. i make mushroom carvings, (varnished)... i dont make a lot of money so things are always tight .. To me it looks like all the wiring needs to be taken out and started fresh, iv seen more order in a plate of spaghetti lol .. Im in Bham city ctr ..

i crused over 10hrs the wknd ..

5hrs yesterday ..

my engine is running now ..

5hrs yesterday ..

i'll be going back to kingsnorton tday.. another 3hrs .. i'll let you know how the batts do ..

many thanks again to all who replied .. Godbless .. and have a great day .. :~)

... oow, and my alternator is a 120amp cat aswel ..

iv put the clips direct to the batts now..

This does not sound good, and may well be dangerous.

5hrs yesterday ..

but if you are using the batteries and you are, depending on usage and re-charging, they may well be knackered.

Batterries can be wrecked in weeks if not looked after, charged properly.

It does sound like your boat needs to checked out by someone competent.

Edited by bottle

i'll be going back to kingsnorton tday.. another 3hrs .. i'll let you know how the batts do ..

many thanks again to all who replied .. Godbless .. and have a great day .. :~)

... oow, and my alternator is a 120amp cat aswel ..

well . . . .

As you have (had*) 1000 Ah of battery capacity

*(still have IF they're not already wrecked is the caution!)

and you've a 120amp alternator

If you assume that you've regularly taken your batteries down to 50% SoC (State of Charge)

Then you would need to replace the 500Ah of discharge with 750Ah of charge

Which would require you to run your engine AT LEAST 6 hours every day, plus a full day every weekend. (I think)

So - the bad news - - from everything you've said previously - (I would think that) it would appear that your batteries are well on their way to being shot, (if they are not there already)

You may be able to salvage some life from them - - if you give them loads of charging for a couple of days - without taking very much from them at all.

You may possibly still have wiring issues / poor connections - and if you can arrange it - get a good boat sparky to give it a thoroughly good look over.

... Hay guys ... just to let you know.. alls good now... i gave the batts a good charge and their steady at 12.48 .. wooo .. and i connected the inverter direct o the batts.. no more beeeeping... thanks for all your input... Have a great wknd ... Peace and Love .. Slumdog .. :~)

I'd suggest that there is an urgent need for solar panels. In the winter they produce almost nothing but at this part of the summer they start producing power before you wake up and maybe for another 12 - 14 hours - they really can produce all your summer electricity.