Mooring in the Oxford area?

Djuwenda

Featured Posts

Hello I am in the process of a getting a new job as a field sales person working on the south of England. My new employer has suggested I move to the Oxford area.

Annoyingly, I was hoping I would be allowed to make the most out of a CC status, but sadly they want me to be stuck in a marina :( (cruel irony for someone who has so far managed a good cruising pattern whilst working an office job)

Questions: does anybody know of any marinas in the region with availability and an idea of the costs incurred?

the employer's worry as I understand it is that they want to know where the company car will be parked at night, hopefully a few months down the line I may be able to convince them to give me a car allowance instead and I can get back out th'cut

Having been down that way a few times the nearest marina that I can think of to Oxford is at Enslow. After that I seem to remember that it's all linear moorings. The lack of residential moorings in the Oxford area has been an issue for a while.

How about Bossom's boat yard on the Thames? Not sure if it allows residential though...

Blossoms is reasonable price wise and they had moorings a few months ago, however max length at the time was 12.25 metres? Oxford Canal Boats at Eynsham can take longer vessels.

You could decline the company car option and take additional income instead. Most companies will do this. You avoid the tax penalty, and provide your own car instead. You can then claim the full 45p per mile tax allowance from the revenue for your business mileage in your annual return. You don't have to buy the car: look at personal contract hire or leasing.

Very useful suggestions, thank you. I will get on the phone this morning.

Dominic, going for a car allowance would be my preferred option. Hopefully my new employer and I can come to some agreement on that.

Anything deeper than 18 inches from the top won't be able to move on the Oxford anyway.

(Or so I'm told... :rolleyes: )

2' is no problem. You can plough anything deeper :lol:

Blossoms is reasonable price wise and they had moorings a few months ago, however max length at the time was 12.25 metres? Oxford Canal Boats at Eynsham can take longer vessels.

Do you mean Bossoms or Medley Boat Station?

I know someone who lives moors at Medley Boat Station. IIRC he's got a 50'er. There is no parking at the Boat Station. I think the nearest place is by the Perch Inn. Winters can be quite interesting with strong streams and flooding.

2' is no problem. You can plough anything deeper :lol:

Do you mean Bossoms or Medley Boat Station?

I know someone who lives moors at Medley Boat Station. IIRC he's got a 50'er. There is no parking at the Boat Station. I think the nearest place is by the Perch Inn. Winters can be quite interesting with strong streams and flooding.

Hi PJ,

I spoke with Bossoms, they have two mooring areas, fildlers island and port meadow. I guess Medley may be the linear moorings? I have certainly seen longer boats there.

Hi PJ,

I spoke with Bossoms, they have two mooring areas, fildlers island and port meadow. I guess Medley may be the linear moorings? I have certainly seen longer boats there.

IIRC Port Meadow has no facilities; you have to park quite some distance away at the end of a dirt track and it's not part of the marina - indeed it had the appearance of a scrap yard / tip when we visited.

You might be better off at Osney Marina (not Osney Mill Marina) or even Abingdon - whose facilities are better. Thames prices are eyewateringly expensive, though.

What about the yard that was set up following the closure of the yard in Oxford by BW, I have a feeling it Alcheamy Boats or something similar

There is no 'yard' as such, only somewhere to lift a boat out.