Remote control plugs and sockets.

Biggles

Featured Posts

I plugged in 2 remote control plugs on the boat. After about 20 minutes the both switch off simultaneously.

Clearly they are getting a signal to do this but where from? I suspect it's something to do with the WIFi on the oat as the router is close by.

Any thoughts? The back of the units say 2.4 MHz or something similar.

I plugged in 2 remote control plugs on the boat. After about 20 minutes the both switch off simultaneously.

Clearly they are getting a signal to do this but where from? I suspect it's something to do with the WIFi on the oat as the router is close by.

Any thoughts? The back of the units say 2.4 MHz or something similar.

A weird thing. Have you tried taking your router out of the equation?

Doubt if it's the router since that will be running in the GHz range, not MHz. What actual frequency are they working at?

2.4GHz is common for WiFi

24MHz ish is often used for cheap walkie talkies, 27MHz is a common frequency for radio controlled models.

2.4MHz is the MF band

526.5 to 1606.5 kHz - AM broadcasts

1800 and 2000 kHz - amateur radio

1600 and 2850 kHz - coast guard and other ship-to-shore frequencies

Could be anything turning them off including a faulty transmitter or the design of the plugs themselves.

A weird thing. Have you tried taking your router out of the equation?

No I haven't, tbh it never even occurred to me.

Does a neighbour have a remote control (sockets or other) That could be switching yours too? Moored alongside each other it's as far to your remote switches as to theirs.

Very very unlikely. Not sure of the range of these things.

I have 2 sets of remote control plugs which did the same thing. They usually come with dip switches so that you can change channels in case of interference?

No dip switches.

Apart from having a fault, then is it possible that there is a momentary interuption in the mains supply or even significant voltage drop when something switches on (heater, fridge motor). Removing the mains usually resets these switches to 'off' so if you have a problem on the mains it could be causing them to 'reset' to off.

A lot of home automation devices use the 2.4Ghz band so interference from other things like wf-fi (also 2.4GHz) or other wireless controls could be a problem.

I've seen these remote control sockets but never figured out exactly why anyone would want them? Is it just so you don't have to walk across the room to switch them on & off? :unsure: And doesn't that mean yet another remote control?

If they can get switched off so easily I'd worry that they could get switched on too, when I'm not on the boat.

I've seen these remote control sockets but never figured out exactly why anyone would want them? Is it just so you don't have to walk across the room to switch them on & off? :unsure: And doesn't that mean yet another remote control?

If they can get switched off so easily I'd worry that they could get switched on too, when I'm not on the boat.

Yes, yes and no...

yes they can save you a walk or in my case I have them on lights where the plug and/or switch is fiddly/awkward to use.

Yes you need another remote

No never had on switch on by itself not ever, even when I stand next to it and stick out 5 watts of VHF/UHF with a 2 way radio. also on mine i can set all to be turned off by a single button or I can choose to have each socket on a separate button.

There's lots of uses for those with imagination - for instance i'm going to use one in a few weeks to switch on a 'mock' electric olympic flame. at christmas I use one to switch outside lights without having to leave the comfort of my nice warm fire..

Hi

We have a set of these at home, two of then switch off the connected lights regularly when the neighbours come home and then lock the car using their car locking remote control. Our son's car remote also did it until he sold it, we then had a lull in switching off until the neighbours then changed their car. The lights have never been switched on by themselves though.

Cheers

David and Ann

I have tried them now without the router powered up and still it switches off.

I have also tried them at home and next to the router indeed sharing the same double socket and they work as intended.

I have to also think it must be something to do with the inverter.

One final thourght, the boat is moored quite close (50 - 75m) to an electrified rail line. Could that be a factor. I will try one of them whne we are away from the power lines.

The reason I want them is to kill the AV rack to save power and not rely on standby (6amps). The socket is difficult to get at requiring a largeish TV to be moved so its not about being lazy, but about safety.

One final thourght, the boat is moored quite close (50 - 75m) to an electrified rail line. Could that be a factor. I will try one of them whne we are away from the power lines.

My sister lives close to the Waterloo - Weymouth line in Dorset. She has had the same sort of problem since Stagecoach replaced it's trains on the route with Siemens "Un Desiros".

Firesprite

In the office

Edited by nbfiresprite

I just checked on some i have and they are actually 433MHz - so I'd have thought they could be vulnerable to something from the train lines maybe.

for switching off your tv etc there is a 'green' device made by 'lime' (www.shoponliMe.co.uk) - energy saving plug that basically you train to recognise the power on/off from your Tv remote and it powers it down completely - at home I have a 4way plugged into it so when the Tv is witched off the amp, dvd etc are also powered off completely. I've had about 3 of them from various 'energy saving inititives' I beleive you can buy them for about a tenner if oyu can't find a free one.